Ray_G

Explorer
c54c11da019885588a8ce6e33bc50072.jpg

d53906f570018ae28e84574d76f607d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
9893224e4c4e04fea83fd27c4502bbd2.jpg

Took a week off from being 'essential' to properly social distance. Time to do some much needed tinkering. Used some residual L track fm the LR3 project to provide better cargo handling in the back.

@Ray_G how do you like the FR Wolf Pack boxes as a longtime user? Worth the $40 to stuff under my sleeping platform?

Man I wish the LR3/4 had swing out rear doors....lol. I need to get some L track down on my sleeping platform as well cuz that Starboard is like an ice rink for stuff I put back there...lol

but that stable though.....damn love that garage!

Ray_G

Explorer
@Ray_G how do you like the FR Wolf Pack boxes as a longtime user? Worth the $40 to stuff under my sleeping platform?

Man I wish the LR3/4 had swing out rear doors....lol. I need to get some L track down on my sleeping platform as well cuz that Starboard is like an ice rink for stuff I put back there...lol

but that stable though.....damn love that garage!

Great question on the Wolf Packs. I’ll try to give a somewhat concise response.

-For the purposes of putting underneath a sleeping platform and using during camp setup/execution/tear down they are good.
Pros:
*Lightweight
*Stackable
*Durable enough
*Affordable (enough)

Cons:
*Not really waterproof
*Not something you can just chuck out of the truck over and over, i.e. you will want to take them out. They can handle some abuse but they aren’t a pelican.
*Lid is decent but not amazing, the extended height ones I like. I can find pics of what I’ve done to mine on the inside, if they aren’t buried either here or in my LR3 build page.

Overall what I have found is each container has an application, for me.

Pelicans: I use when I know I’m going to be throwing them out of the truck, in the wet, and need durability/security. That’s why the back of Coyote has the tools and recovery gear in pelicans. They keep things dry, and if things like ropes get wet, they keep the wet in. For my bigger camping setup I have one that carries tents (often goes on the roof rack, and gets thrown off the roof rack to get to the ground) and one for the volcano (b/c it’s dirty from soot, and has accessories like propane tanks).

Wolfpacks: Already described where they get used-inside the truck, strapped down. Two are permanently setup for camp cooking/cleaning/etc (i.e. boxes have dividers in them, lids have organizers bolted to them, etc). B/c I’m OCD they are labeled K1 & K2. The one in the back of Coyote is the small chainsaw, so it’s cut to allow the bar to come out and also has internal organization for oil an such.

Action Packers: we use these for dry goods/breads/foodstuffs. Since they are light duty, but are waterproof, they tend to get strapped down or thrown on top of action packers inside. They are not organized at all, typically being brought the kitchen to get loaded up and put in the truck late in the game before departing, usually the same time the fridge gets loaded out.

Since I’m on a nerd roll...

North Face duffels: transitioning to external soft goods, like sleeping bags or clothes, these fare pretty well in the wet and thus end up strapped down on the roof rack at times when we cube out the interior. I’ve got a collection of them that have done well all over the world so I tend to just default back to them. If we’re going on a long trip, like the trips to/from WI, I’ll double up water proofing by putting the duffels in one of those large roof bags. That’s better for road trips than camping though.

Sorry for the longer reply. It’s early, and COVID.
R-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
As follow on; one thing that I have done for awhile is keep everything in one place to help load out. So as it's stored:
cfe8afbe477b6c94cbd8543fcfef0cee.jpg

Then the layout of ground tent pelican, stove pelican, K1 & K2.
d49092bd95db24e806edca78f0b7c807.jpg

@Ray_G excellent pics and write-up; much appreciated. So with my sleeping platform I held off a long time on the drawer build because I wanted to make sure I do it right and only once. I have since decided that I want one large platform slider (maybe two but one for ease I think) that will tilt up and allow me access under the platform when nothing is installed on it. Similar to the cargo slider platform LR made I think or maybe FR; not sure yet.

Thanks again on the info and response; always good stuff from you!

TOUGE

What I really like about the Wolf packs is the 100% flat floor and square walls which makes everything not fall over and dividers are much easier to build. Aslo I can buy 7 of them for one of the same size Alubox style case. All the walmart/homedepot tubs didn't have flat floors and angled walls that waste space. I can fit more stuff in the Wolf Pack than I could in my old Rubbermaid Roughneck 10g tubs.

@TOUGE thanks for the info as well; I too feel I want as squared off and flat as possible. Feel free to post any further comments on my build thread below as I don't want to hijack @Ray_G thread on boxes.

Ray_G

Explorer
Hijacking isn’t minded, hit back on your thread about the slider options.

Today, I used the winch...not quite as intended but it kept this insane ladder the previous owner had made to change the bulbs from falling.

Fitting that I used Coyote to lower the ladder since she is my method for changing bulbs...a ladder or a jump box on the SD rack gives even short people like me enough reach.

COVID is giving me the chance to redo swaths of the garage at least.
0a3e8ac1eabfa9ea70fb36c0a1a69f66.jpg

57066600d0b3049d8a62a7aaf4874cf0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online