Cowboy 4X4 van build up

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I like the Reflectix panels for the windows. Did you just push in and trim the edges in place, or make templates and trace it onto the Reflectix? Thx, Brad

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I measured the general size of the window and pushed the corners in and used a sharpie for the big corners. The small corners I just free handed.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
Yes they stay in by themselves. I cut them all about an 1/8 inch bigger than the window so when I push them in the plastic window trim holds them in place.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Very cool! Do you get any moisture buildup between the glass and the reflectix? I would guess not, but I am curious.

86scotty

Cynic
Very cool! Do you get any moisture buildup between the glass and the reflectix? I would guess not, but I am curious.

Yes, I do. I'm in the muggy southeast but I get really bad buildup on the windshield especially with Reflectix. I still use it anyway.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I get moisture build up even if I dont use it, so I might as well stay warm with wet windows in the morning....:) My desert trip was real cold at night and the condensation built up pretty good. I didnt have the reflectix yet just my mini blinds and the cold still came through.

Side door galley box and storage.

Cowboy - could you provide a little more info about your in-the-door storage? What did you attach the rug to. Did you use some sort of reflectix sandwich and then attach the carpet to that? I wonder if it is noisy with the door opened up like that - you probably don't hear because of the 'fridge. Hows about water/condensation/whatever rots out the bottom of the doors - how did you address that?

These voids in the doors seem like they are ripe for storage in my family hauler. Thanks - good day. B

cowboy4x4

Explorer
belltown bikes.... I made the door panels from 1/4" plywood, the carpet is glued directly to that with 3M spray glue. I also glued carpet to the actual inside of the door so it looks nice and acts as a sound deaden-er (sc)? as far as water goes Ive never had a problem with the ford vans rusting out at the bottom. There are drain/weep holes in the bottom of the doors and they have to be kept open for that purpose. The panels are screwed directly to the door, there is no road noise. The galley box you see was actually a dresser drawer at one time and I attached a continuous hinge to it and carpeted it on the inside and a bit on the outside, added some door catches and wallah I have a galley box for $30.00. It will/does get dusty inside the door because of the weep holes AND around the door hinges.So what I did was use a good grade caulking around all the door hinges on all the doors then look inside and if you can see light coming in and seal it. Basically the only open hole s now are the weep holes at the bottom and they have not been any problem... hope that helps.... Thomas

Last edited:

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I installed some blinds from home depot... now I have some privacy.... (and they were inexpensive :) )

I also added the magazine rack to the inside of the door to hold my paper map's and books.It is hinged at the top so I can lift it up and still have access the the inside door storage.

Last edited:

martinm

Could you?

Martin.... I will have to look up the part numbers I'll get back to you on that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So give them an inch and they want a mile... I installed the passenger grab handle for the wife (she really likes it).... so then she say's she would like to have one over the window to hang onto when I make those wild turns.... all the while I'm thinking this is a 4x4 van there are no wild turns. But hey.... if it makes her happy on the trips ...why not, I happen to save the factory side door handles that I took off the side doors when I made new panels and they worked perfectly for over the window grab handles.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
So I haven't done anything in awhile and I was going to sell it but got no takers so now I'm just going to finish it up and more than likely convert it over to a diesel. So here is the side ladder made up and installed. No more climbing up the front fender to access the roof rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles