Cowboy 4x4 off road CT build

cowboy4x4

Explorer
Well I sold my other off road trailer and started a new one. This will be a 5x5x8 enclosed cargo trailer turned into an off road capable trailer. It will get raised up, doors, windows, back door will open from the top, kitchen will be at the back, roof rack, firewood rack, modified tongue, basically all the goodies I can think of. Here is the basic trailer.
IMG_0062 (Medium).JPG

first order of business is to make the back door hinge open from the top, I had to make custom hinges to clear the rain gutter.
IMG_0051 (Medium).JPG

next the tongue had to be cut off and lengthened and some additional reinforcements added. It will have a square receiver type end on it for my LNR.
IMG_0047 (Medium).JPGIMG_0048 (Medium).JPGIMG_0049 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

Chili

Explorer
That's not it yet is it? Looking forward to more write-up and to see how it works out for you. This is something I might consider for some of the longer full family outings. Are you planning on a sliding kitchen, or something fixed inside? Planning on any additional access doors, window or anything?

Feed me Seymour!

:D

cowboy4x4

Explorer
the tongue will have a storage box on it, two can holders and the battery will be between the two cans in its own box. I dont like how other manuf. put the battery and other components in the tongue box, it renders it useless as a place to store any good amount of stuff.
IMG_0056Medium-1.jpg

IMG_0057Medium-1.jpg

IMG_0058Medium-1.jpg

IMG_0063Medium.jpg

cowboy4x4

Explorer
13'7" (163") tip to tail. The box is 103" and the tongue is 60"

EDIT... I shortened the tongue today, I took off 5" so now the tongue is 55" and tip to tail is 13'2" (158")
the FJ door can open all the way and clear the trailer by 1".

Last edited:

cowboy4x4

Explorer
installed two gas assist struts on the rear door so now it stay's up on it's own. I had to make some custom brackets to get some leverage on the door and still be able to have it close and not bind up the struts.
IMG_0082Medium.jpg

IMG_0083Medium.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks good and works! What else could you ask for?
Spring over with matching wheels?
Cold and wet in Pa. so I have to live through others builds.
keep us posted.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
So being that I have several of the stainless steel grab bars, I put one on the top of the tongue as a handle when moving the trailer around. It was much easier to maneuver the trailer with it.
IMG_0101Medium.jpg

cowboy4x4

Explorer
So today I welded on some new spring perches and moved the axle to below the springs. With the stock cheesey 13" tires I have 20" of ground clearance on the trailer and 10" for the axle. When I get my new tires that will bump up to 24" on the trailer and 14" on the axle. Here is a before and after.

Before
IMG_0103Medium.jpg

After
IMG_0104Medium.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94