Covered trailer build? Probably been asked before but need advice

86scotty

Cynic
OK, I'm sort of at my wit's end. I have this 95 SMB which is in need of a little love, but I'm presently clearing my slate to get started on it. Love the floor plan, love the van except it's an RB. I know I won't be able to afford or probably even find one with this few miles again. It isn't perfect but I have an idea to keep the family of 4 traveling in style. It's a 460 so my fuel mileage isn't going to suffer if I put a couple thousand pounds behind it.

She wants a shower. A real one. I kind of do too, not gonna happen with 4 seats in an RB. We are ONLY ever tied to paid lodging because of showers. Laundry is never really a problem for us on long trips.

I also like the idea of having my bikes, supplies, etc. secure for long road trips that will hopefully involve some light off-roading. Living in Tn. I'm not going to be taking my SMB up Engineer Pass most likely, but if I did I could park a trailer somewhere if exploring for a few hours or a day.

I'm thinking of getting a 6x10ish covered trailer with a side door to pull behind the van. I would put a small counter and sink in the front with a small shower in the corner (just a Lowe's/Home Depot fiberglass single shower, 3x3 I guess). I would find a decent water tank from an RV salvage place probably and put a hot water heater in the trailer as well, and permanently house my generator there. I would use a 20 lb barbq tank to run the hot water.

This gives me lots of room to keep 4 bikes, tools, groceries and lots of other things I probably wouldn't bring along with just the van. I could attatch a small awning to the trailer and probably not bother with one on the van. Also, I could take a dual-sport bike along sometimes.

So, upsides: space, a shower, a place to wash dishes with hot water
downsides: I'm reversing the reason I bought a van, and pulling a trailer again, which will inevitably get in the way sometimes, but can go more places than a big camping trailer.

My biggest questions: Will I destroy a covered trailer if I try to pull it anywhere off road? How tough are they? What tires etc. would I need and would it be worth it to lift it.
Also, how to do a shower drain. Straight through the floor and carry a blue boy (portable RV tank waste tank) to catch the gray water when I need to? I hate the idea of a permanent black/gray tank.

Thoughts? Ideas?

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I'm guessing by "covered trailer" you mean cargo box trailer. Like most things, there are all grades of them. The least expensive ones (at Lowe's/HD/etc) are less likely to hold up to hard use than others. But I'm not convinced that more money necessarily equals better quality so check it out.

86scotty

Cynic
I'm guessing by "covered trailer" you mean cargo box trailer. Like most things, there are all grades of them. The least expensive ones (at Lowe's/HD/etc) are less likely to hold up to hard use than others. But I'm not convinced that more money necessarily equals better quality so check it out.

Yes, I'm thinking something like this. I can get one of these for $2k. I realize it will probably need some strengthening if I take it off road much.

hesterj

Adventurer
The mfg I used is called "ww". My brother and I converted a 16' tandem axle into a camper both of our family's can comfortably sleep in at the deer lease,ball games,etc.

It has held up well after multiple trips on long back roads or no roads. They are all steel (read heavy) We managed to make enough room to sleep 6-8 rather comfortable.
Hope it helps.
-Jeremy

86scotty

Cynic
Thanks Jeremy. I'm still in the early planning stages of this, but trying to see a few who have done it. I haven't found many. I know most people here are more into offroading than I would ever do with this kind of trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online