Could you convert this to 4x4

Yes one probably could. Using either a Dynatrac Dana 60 or 70 custom front axle and a divorced NP205 transfer case. Or, Mitsubishi parts. Plus suspension mods - a lift in the rear, leaf springs in the front. And don't forget the steering.

Charlie

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Yup, I looked into doing this to my Iveco, prior to getting my FG.

Charlie hit it right on the head for equipment. There has been a Fuso FG transfer case on eBay for $900, but I'd go with the divorced NP205 because of parts (although the Fuso case should have the correct U-joints with it).

no relation to seller, bla bla bla (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260745325581)

The FG's frame is stepped for everything to line up without suspension work, while this FE's frame is straight.

If you go for it, I now have a 'spare' NP205....along with two 'spare' Iveco trucks :sombrero:

kerry

Expedition Leader
I suspect it would be easier to purchase a crewcab from Busbees and transfer it over to an FG.

DzlToy

Explorer
This has been discussed quite a bit on this board and I know myself and others have debated the best way to get a crew cab 4WD Fuso since we dont get that truck here.

You have three choices: make an FE Crew into a 4WD, swap a crew cab onto an FG chassis or buy a crew cab from someone and build your own truck from scratch or existing parts/frame etc that are not Fuso.

The ideal situation is the latter, 2x8 box channel is cheap and easy to work with, i.e. no concerns about not being able to weld or drill the factory frame, etc.

Aftermarket axles such as Ballistic, Dynatrac or Spidertrax would allow choices for width, lockers, gear ratios, etc that are not available from the factory. Junk yard axles could also be rebuilt and fitted for the budget minded.

If anyone is serious about taking on this project, I will be happy to share more detailed information. A good friend of mine has a full metal fabrication shop at his disposal and experience fabricating off road buggies, doing axle and engine swaps, etc. We would be happy to entertain construction of a crew cab 4WD FE/FG for a serious client.

Cheers,

Jon

MrBeast

Explorer
The 4x4 swap on that is actually going to be pretty straight forward and easy, you will need as mentioned before a 4x4 front axle, and a devorced transfer case

The great thing is the fuso already has a leaf spring front suspension, so you will not have to do any modifications to the front suspension that is above and beyond bolting in the front axle. if the frame on the fuso is a standard 34" a Chevy Dana 60 will bolt in.

kjmickelson

Crew Cab Dreaming

Hey, Dzltoy, I have been looking at this for a while too. I was quoted, from busbees about $4000 for the crew, and after talking to a fab shop outside Vancouver it came to $13000 to: -lengthen an FG frame (straightforward), swap cabs, and pay for the crew. You ended up with an extra reg cab left over however...

Anyway, if I was to get either an FE crew (already at my 176" desired wheelbase, auto, higher HP) or an Isuzu NPR (to me more common and thus cheaper parts over all -but I am not sure on that) would you and your friend be interested and would it be less than the $13000??

Where are you in the world again?

Kevin in Victoria.

Thanks

kerry

Expedition Leader
Is the FG crewcab frame different than the standard frame? I assumed the frames were the same and a riser existed if necessary to support the crewcab if it extended back into the stepped down section.

kjmickelson

I believe the extra part of the crew cab just takes up the remaining stepped frame portion that is exposed. (As this is what they do in the rest of the world.)

DzlToy

Explorer
I doubt there is a difference between an FE Crew frame and FE standard cab frame, but will check the body builders guide to make sure.

Im in Atlanta, Georgia, which is about 48 hours of driving from Vancouver (long story :D)

We would be happy to entertain the project if you are serious about it. Busbees is only about four hours from me IIRC and currently has a crew cab NPR and crew cab FE in stock, though I have not inquired about pricing. He had an FE last summer that was a bit rough and may have been sitting a while that he was willing to let go for 2500 bucks, so 4 grand maybe negotiable.

Would you purchase an FE or NPR crew in Canada or in the US? Those trucks are both plentiful in GA (used for delivery, landscaping, etc.) Things like new or junkyard axle, Fuso or Atlas/Stak/JB205 transfer case, lift, tire size, etc., would all affect the build plan. You confused me a bit by saying if you were to get an FE crew in a 176" WB with an auto, etc. My FE crew/SP literature shows 164 as the max wheelbase, so I assume you want an existing crew cab frame lengthened by a foot or so, along with swapping in the solid front axle and transfer case. Then there would be no cab swap, wiring, etc. to deal with. We could also swap a crew cab onto onto an FG truck and stretch that frame, its your call.

I know we have chatted by PM before, but Im not sure if I kept them, I think its been a while.

Cheers,

Jon

Last edited:

kjmickelson

Crew cab 4x4 on a budget

Hey Jon,

Sorry, you are right, I have the Isuzu WB of 176" in my head. Mitsu's longest must be the 165".

Just to refresh, I have an F350 4x4 crew auto that I carry a camper. I would really like to just have more room in my camper with a similar truck. Once in while it snows, I don't do any rock crawling, and most of the time I drive around empty. However, I often tow a ski boat or am building something that needs all the truck space to haul stuff. So, I would like to put 4 jacks on a 5th wheel, take off the goose neck and have a really big camper to slide forward so the bed is over the crew cab. (kids need a crew).

So, lets say this. Using the most economical parts what do you think the conversion would be? Would the ride be ok, spring vs leafs? Using super cool stuff the price would jump to...???

When you ask about tire size and lift, I would say keep it as close to stock as you can. I just looked at a 5th wheel on Sun that weighed 6600lbs. So, with an NPR or FE GVW of 14,500 I am assuming the truck would weigh 6500 which would leave 8000 for capacity?

I would not be looking for super low gearing as I would mostly be empty. Fuel economy would be better with higher gearing I think? If I happened to go kinda slow up hills, well, so be it. Highway cruising would be better mpg and speed with higher gears, yes?

So, since you are a bit far, I am just looking at your best guess to compare with the 13K I had up here. I'd love to hear what you think. And I will cruise Busbees site now to take a look at their trucks.

Thanks
Kevin in Victoria.

DzlToy

Explorer
ok that refreshes some things now.... If you are not going to do any serious off roading, then mounting a fifth wheel RV onto the bed of the Fuso would probably be ok, though I have no experience doing this. I would assume that the suspension of the Fuso would act like the suspension of the stock trailer, but the mounting may be tricky between the frame, the flat bed and the removable RV.

Converting a factory crew cab FE with 165" wheelbase to 4wd and stretching the frame should entail the following:

Purchase and mounting of solid axle - A Dana 60 should be fine and could range from $2000 - $8000, depending on new/used, builder, gears, lockers, ratings, suspension brackets, etc. I would suggest a simple leaf spring suspension to start, but there are other options available such as links and coils.

Sliding a camper onto a flat bed is a good idea, but your math is off a bit. Yes, the GVW is 14,500 pounds, but that is total vehicle weight. You also have axle weights and tire weight and handling to consider. A 6500-7000 pound camper on the back of a FE might be a bit much since GAWR for the rear is only 9900 pounds. Some of the weight of the front part of the RV will transfer to the front axle but GAWR on a steering Dana 60 is only going to be 5500-6000 pounds. While the total could be 16k max, you really have to look at distribution and handling so you dont end up with the fat kid on a marshmellow feeling going down the road.

Ride can be tuned using helper air bags, over load springs and properly configured leaf packs. However, like a one ton truck, a leaf pack to carry a 7000 pound camper will ride like crap when empty or towing a 3000 pound boat with only a few hundred pounds of tongue weight. Depending on things like gear in the cab, people in the cab, water and food and gear in the RV, you could easily be over weight in one or more areas (GVW, axle, tire, etc)

You could upgrade the rear axle to something like a Dana 80 or AAM1150, which are rated at 11500 pounds and their bolt patterns would match the Dana 60 front. You would have more choices for gears, lockers, etc. A D80 from a Dodge truck could be picked up used for under $1000 with an AAM being slightly more. Both are leaf sprung. A new Dana 80 from Dynatrac might be 4-5 times that amount.

Stock size wheels and tires will let you keep your gearing higher and your drivetrain live an easier life, however you are still pushing close to max GVW with a 175hp/400 foot pound engine so you are not going anywhere fast or with great fuel economy. You will have to increase tire size slightly as the stockers are only rated at 2700 each in the front and 2500 each in the rear and you dont want to be at the max rating of your tires ever.

Fuel economy is better with higher gearing as that generally means lower RPMs, but there is a careful balance too when pulling heavy loads, though you did say you would be empty most of the time, you dont want to be miserable when the camper is loaded. You will go slow up hills regardless of your gear choice with this weight and a stock motor, lol.

Someone posted an FG transfer case for $900 recently, but not sure how that would mate with the 2wd FE transmission. A divorced transfer case like an Atlas or JB205 can be had from $2000 and up. This would not include things like lengthening drive shafts, cross members, shift cables or linkage, etc.

Will have to talk to Matt about labour and materials for the frame stretch and I have no idea on things like leaf packs and wheels/tires, but hopefully that answered some questions for you. As you can see there is quite a bit involved here even though making an FE into a 4wd is the simpler of the two paths IMO. If you stretch an FG, your axles and wheels/tires are still going to be overloaded with your planned RV addition so you would have that to do in addition to a cab swap and frame stretch.

Going back to your post from yesterday, I would say that purchasing a crew cab from Busbees, swapping that cab onto a stock FG that you purchased and stretching the FG frame to your desired wheelbase should be under 13 grand. Im not sure what else, if anything, was included in their bid, so I would need to know more specifics to give you more specifics, lol.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior