Cotton = The Devil?

The touch... the feel... of cotton... The fabric of our lives.

School me on this subject. In what situations is cotton acceptable to wear on what part of your body? I know it's not really choice stuff for socks in the winter, but what about jeans? And all of my undershirts are cotton as well. When should I know to bring something else, and when should I be not so worried about packing clothing made of cotton? And why?

Suggest other materials and where to get it.

For instance, where can I get a decent pair of wool socks?

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
the arguments against wearing cotton have been done to death, just google "survival clothing cotton".

That said I wear jeans and cotton t-shirts most of the time. It's a matter of risk assessment. I would say the only time it's okay to wear cotton in an outdoor environment is when there is nearly zero chance of becoming wet or if you do become wet you can either change into dry clothes or sit in your wet clothes while they dry without the risk of hypothermia (or chafing, ouch!).

For decent wool socks (which is all I wear with anything other than running shoes) my new favorites are from a company in Vermont called Darn Tuff, in the past I've always worn Wigwam socks. I just got a bunch of Darn Tuff's free through work so I'm not sure how much they run. I think I paid about $6-$10 pair for my wigams. Because of my job, I can't wear synthetics due to fire risk.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
For the desert and heat I love cotton T-shirts and light cotton khaki pants. Synthetics in the heat just feel clammy and gross. For socks I wear Smartwool.

Winter is where the game changes, synthetics and wool rule the cold when there is the possibility of getting wet or sweaty.

To me nothing feels better than cotton.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I do everything possible to avoid synthetic fibers. I generally use a mix (depending on temp) of cotton, linen, wool, and silk. I get sweaty and gross in anything synthetic.

I am also not much of a brand slave - my favorite boring white cotton t-shirts are Kirkland Signature in 12 packs :wings:

Sweaters are always wool. Outer layers are oilcloth or leather.

That said, I do not really do enough high-risk camping to really have to worry too much about dying (at least, no more than in the city where I live).

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I'm prefer cotton if I'm going to break a sweat. Synthetics may wick better and they may keep you cool, but they hold odors even after numerous washings. The few Under Armour shirts I bought for hockey permanently stink. Gross, yes, but true. If you're on the road, are apt to break a sweat, and don't want to stink for the rest of your travels, go cotton. Organic if possible, of course.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
When being wet or sweaty will cause hypothermia or just be extremely uncomfortable, cotton is bad. The rest of the time, go nuts. The big thing to keep in mind is that cotton is cotton -- it's all the same. But not all synthetics are created equal, and even the best synthetics will lose their properties after too many trips through the drier. With some that may be hundreds of times, with others it may be just a couple.

haven

Expedition Leader
Another place where synthetics work better than cotton is when you need to wash your clothes and air dry them in a reasonable amount of time. In most parts of the world, when your jeans get wet, they stay wet for days. (I did have the unexpected experience of drying my jeans in 90 minutes one windy summer day in the Wind River range, but that's certainly the exception.)

Synthetics will usually dry enough overnight to wear again or to put into a suitcase without the risk of growing moldy. Synthetics also dry quickly when you get caught in the rain.

Synthetic clothing doesn't breathe as well as cotton, so the design has to be different. I routinely wear the ExOfficio Air Strip long sleeve shirt in hot and humid places. The shirt has a vent between armpit and waist on both sides, and a vent at the shoulder blades.

There are Air Strip trousers as well, but I prefer the Convertible Pants, with legs that zip off at the knee. In situations where it's not a good idea to remove the trouser legs (e.g., to avoid insect bites or protect against sunburn), I open the leg zips partway to let the air circulate.

Do I wear the synthetics at home? Of course not. But I almost always will pack the synthetics when I take an "adventure travel" sort of trip.

Chip Haven

1speed

Explorer
I'm prefer cotton if I'm going to break a sweat. Synthetics may wick better and they may keep you cool, but they hold odors even after numerous washings. The few Under Armour shirts I bought for hockey permanently stink. Gross, yes, but true. If you're on the road, are apt to break a sweat, and don't want to stink for the rest of your travels, go cotton. Organic if possible, of course.

As a cyclist and runner in south FL where typical summer days are 95 degrees and 90% humidity I know about the clothing funk! Believe it or not this stuff will take the funk out of synthetics in the wash. http://www.sporiclean.com/
I do prefer cotton for all my daily wear when synthetics are not needed.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i know almost nothing about synthetics, i wear t shirt and shorts year round, so i dont have much to add.

i will say though that if clothing for survival is your concern, maybe look into animal pelts? i mean it worked for early man in survival conditions full time so it must be worth something. :sombrero:

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I just cant get into the zip off leg pants, I just like the feel of loose cotton khakis in the desert. If I need shorts I put on shorts.

For hot, dry desert environments cotton is far and away my favorite. Cotton holds sweat and cools you as it evaporates. Also nothing feels better than pulling a nice clean T-shirt on after your first shower in a week.

Cold weather choice is a no brainer and cotton has no place in the duffel unless you are certain there is zero chance of getting wet or working up a sweat. I dont think anyone would argue that there is a prominent place for cotton in active cold weather activities.

I do have to say though that Mtn Hardware makes some very cool collard casual button up shirts that are very cool and are a nylon/polyester blend. I have even started climbing in them.

I use Merino wool underwear. Merino wool is the finest of wool fibers and is extremely comfortable to wear. Wool also has an enzyme that kills a lot of bacteria. It is the bacteria that causes synthetics to have a permanent odor problem. Furthermore, synthetics, as much as they are advertised to the contrary, are terrible at wicking moisture. Merino wool is the most efficient fabric for wicking moisture away from your skin. In cold weather, I wear the whole Merino wool underwear system, briefs included, from Justin Charles.

I prefer cottons myself. You're right about the sweaty factor in hot weather. I like the cotton feel myself, but I'll wear synthetics as described above in critical situations.

latinoguy

Adventurer
keeping this thread alive. I tend to get chafes in my upper legs, among other places, lol. It makes for very uncomfortable, and painful situations some times. I wear a sythetic mix of sport underwear during my hiking excursions.

I should try Merino wool underwear. Where is a good place to buy them at a reasonable price?

I use Merino wool underwear. Merino wool is the finest of wool fibers and is extremely comfortable to wear. Wool also has an enzyme that kills a lot of bacteria. It is the bacteria that causes synthetics to have a permanent odor problem. Furthermore, synthetics, as much as they are advertised to the contrary, are terrible at wicking moisture. Merino wool is the most efficient fabric for wicking moisture away from your skin. In cold weather, I wear the whole Merino wool underwear system, briefs included, from Justin Charles.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
agreed latinoguy, when i switched from all cotton boxer briefs to cotton/spandex blend i declared them bomb diggity! and promptly outfitted my undie drawer with them. i recently got a merino wool boxer brief from online for $30? and although very comfy they wont be replacing my bomb diggities, but i will keep a pair cause i think they will come in usefull sometimes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles