Cot vs air mattress vs pad..

Ex Jay

Observer
Im one of those flailing sprawlers at home, theres just no way I'd consider a cot. That was until I spent a week on a military issue one. You could probably dance on the edge of one, it's not gonna tip. I couldnt believe how well I slept. So I'm a believer, however I simply dont like the size and weight of them so I stick with my bag and pad.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
I've been using a insulated camping mat for over four years, ~45 nights/year, in 0-90deg.F ambient temps. It's a inflatable Exped model that's 3.5-inches thick and I've slept on everything from a boat deck (with protruding hatch covers) to ice. I've never had a better night's sleep outdoors, it's never failed on me (good construction & carry a patch kit), and I'd replace it with exactly the same model. From the comfort, the ability to completely hide surface imperfections, and extreme packability, this is the perfect solution for me.

bunger

Adventurer
I bought one of these Coleman Comfortsmart Deluxe Cot's last year and have used it on 2 overland events so far.
It's 1000 times more comfortable than the air mattress that I had been using. I like being higher off of the ground too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073WJAC...t=&hvlocphy=9003356&hvtargid=pla-273450936202

That said, it is very bulky to transport as it only folds in half but I usually have plenty of room to bring it along when base camping with the OZtent.
For point to point camping I'll still use the air mattress inside the Malamoo tent.

pyrate

Rollin' along
Cots are by and large inexpensive and comfortable. Their only draw backs are weight and bulk.

Cots allow air to circulate around you, which in warm conditions is great. Cooler weather can require a lower temperature rated sleeping bag. Sleeping pads tend to insulate better in colder weather. While maybe that isn't a drawback, it's something to consider.

dcg141

Adventurer
Cots allow air to circulate around you, which in warm conditions is great. Cooler weather can require a lower temperature rated sleeping bag. Sleeping pads tend to insulate better in colder weather. While maybe that isn't a drawback, it's something to consider.

Agreed

bunger

Adventurer

Which is why I use a pad on top of the cot in colder weather.

USA4X4

Since a RTT isn't in my future anytime due to my disdain for roofracks on JKU's, I'm limited to ground tents. I bought, but haven't used, a coleman instant tent that is considered a 6-person tent. I have always used a 2-man pop-up dome tent but discovered that I really like having a place to stand up and put my boots on and have all my clothes inside WITH me instead of inside the jeep staying dry.

I've always used blow-up mattresses but I've had issues with them losing air, getting holes and burning up a pump. I'm considering a cot because it gives you a place to sit while you put your shoes on and get dressed. But I'm not sure they'd be very comfortable. I rarely sleep zipped up in my sleeping bag, I sprawl out all over the place. It would seem that it would be easy to level the cot instead of trying to find a dead level place for the tent would make setting up camp a little easier.

And as far as a ground pad goes, that seems like the most simple of options but they all seem really narrow and thin. And since weight isn't really a concern, I doubt the ground pad is the go-to choice.

Any thoughts? What do you guys use?

I have camped with a tent and have done the RTT thing.
My preference to sleeping on the ground is a nice large HD cot along with my down lined Expede air pad.
This by far has been the most comfortable setup for me. Being able to have the cot to sit on is a big plus.

spinyeel

I have camped with a tent and have done the RTT thing.
My preference to sleeping on the ground is a nice large HD cot along with my down lined Expede air pad.
This by far has been the most comfortable setup for me. Being able to have the cot to sit on is a big plus.
Cot and pad,every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles