Costco Civilian Scepter Gas Cans

jgaz

Adventurer
FYI
My son just saw these at the Phoenix Costco, Cave Creek Road and the 101.

B8B315BB-EC6E-4D41-B251-603ABF2A3A39.jpegAA23D845-5F11-433D-8DF8-5B546A8DDB2E.jpegI’m not positive, but I think the prices that end in .97 could be specific to a particular store. YRMV.
If I remember correctly the last time I looked these were $13.99 @ Costco and $24.99 at TSC

4xdog

Explorer
A Costco item tag with an asterisk (*) means the item isn't going to be restocked. 0.97 means discounted prices. Almost certainly end-of-the-season stock clearing.

Those are nowhere near a Scepter MFC, of course, but they're OK for consumer use. Like most of the modern no-spill/safety nozzles, they're a pain in the neck to use.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I've several of these for my house generator and they work great. Great price for a gas can. Not sure I'd use them for long distance transporting of fuel in/on a vehicle.

jgaz

Adventurer
I agree on the durability, transport, etc.
My son wants them for generator gasoline for his NASCAR camp, twice a year.
Good price, decent quality.

rayra

Expedition Leader
'nowhere near's inflamed rump. They're 2/3 the thickness of a Scepter MFC, by weight. Which makes them a good bit thicker than the old Blitz jugs (and others). They're the same plastic and roto-mold process as the 'military' version. Their only real negative is that their dimensions do not work with carriers sized for the Jerry/NATO spec jugs.
Even at double the above price at farmer-supply stores (Tractor Supply, Northern Tool), they're still a great bargain compared to the usurious $45-50 pricing of MFCs illicitly brought in from Canada or the prices sought for used MFCs.
As for the crappy nozzles foisted on us by crappy politicians, who cares. Use a SuperSiphon for all of $5 and you don't have to stand there holding 40-lbs. Regardless of what fuel container you use.

These are great containers. And at $10 a fantastic price. Wish my regional Costcos would offer them.

First thing I would do as I walked out the door with them is throw that damn CARB spout in the trash. Amazon carries a replacement spout kit that is more traditional or you can use a super siphon. Yes I have a hatred of CARB spouts as they are not ADA compliant yet are being forced upon us.

4xdog

Explorer
[QUOTE="rayra, post: 2520290, member: 71003"...These are great containers. And at $10 a fantastic price. Wish my regional Costcos would offer them.[/QUOTE]

No argument there — they’re a fine homeowner container and a superb bargain at that price. I was using mine the other day, in fact, and it’s been perfectly acceptable for a few years now.

But the tendency for the container to bulge with a full load, or due to vapor pressure when part full, indicates it’s nowhere near a MFC. The cap seal is much lighter duty and the handle is also. I have the two in service side-by-side and I’ll stick to that judgement.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
But the tendency for the container to bulge with a full load, or due to vapor pressure when part full, indicates it’s nowhere near a MFC. The cap seal is much lighter duty and the handle is also. I have the two in service side-by-side and I’ll stick to that judgement.
I've been using these for years of camping and offroading now. They work fine. I've accidentally dropped them off the tailgate of my truck and no problems.

If you're in a roll-over accident and they're thrown down the highway they might not survive, so if that's your measurement of durability they might not work.

MOguy

Explorer
FYI
My son just saw these at the Phoenix Costco, Cave Creek Road and the 101.

View attachment 468516View attachment 468517I’m not positive, but I think the prices that end in .97 could be specific to a particular store. YRMV.
If I remember correctly the last time I looked these were $13.99 @ Costco and $24.99 at TSC
We got some that look like that at work. They work as good as any inexpensive can I have used. The nozzles suck no worse than others. I also have the military specter cans they are nothing alike. We also have some similar to the ones that were sold a Costco from a while back. They were more like the specter ones but still not as heavy duty.

Either of these Coscto versions are fine for the garage, around the yard or work sight but I wouldn't recommend either considering the abuse they my see using them off-road or for "overlanding"

GB_Willys_2014

'nowhere near's inflamed rump. They're 2/3 the thickness of a Scepter MFC, by weight. Which makes them a good bit thicker than the old Blitz jugs (and others). They're the same plastic and roto-mold process as the 'military' version. Their only real negative is that their dimensions do not work with carriers sized for the Jerry/NATO spec jugs.
Even at double the above price at farmer-supply stores (Tractor Supply, Northern Tool), they're still a great bargain compared to the usurious $45-50 pricing of MFCs illicitly brought in from Canada or the prices sought for used MFCs.
As for the crappy nozzles foisted on us by crappy politicians, who cares. Use a SuperSiphon for all of $5 and you don't have to stand there holding 40-lbs. Regardless of what fuel container you use.

These are great containers. And at $10 a fantastic price. Wish my regional Costcos would offer them.
I have not found a $5.00 SuperSiphon, but still a good deal at $10.00. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz