Cost of a 20" box build out?

RoamIt

Hello,
I have an idea of the cost of a 20' habitat box from Total Composites, what I'm looking for is some idea of what it would cost to finish the inside.
Of course, I know this will vary widely. But with the parameters below, does anyone have some experience to share?

1.) Can do most of the build myself, pretty handy. May farm out the electrical.
2.) Want off grid capability. So solar, water, batteries need to be able to last 2 people a week at least.
3.) Full amenities- including washer/dryer
4.) Figure mid priced materials, I don't need best of the best. But not shopping based on cost alone, more ROI.

Thanks for sharing any experience with a build out.

RoamIt

Certainly I understand the endless possibilities and 100 questions/variations. What I was hoping for was people who have done a 'full-time rig' would share some numbers.

I'm just looking for a ballpark number and if 5-6 people who have done it chimed in, then I could extrapolate from there. And we know there are many, many people here who have.

I can get quotes on batteries, chargers, etc. for example, but there are many other incidental costs that creep up (I've built enough cars/trucks/major home remodeling to know!) So was looking for real world, done that, been there, kind of directional input.

direwolf82

Just curious, are there actual rv washer dryers? I'm assuming a 12v dryer would take forever to cycle, a 110 dryer takes about 4 hours to completely dry a very small load.
All I can say is if a gas dryer is an option that would probably save a huge amount in the electrical portion of the build. Dryers will pull 25 amps of 220 in a house and if you can avoid that it will save a bunch of batteries and panels or a generator to lug around.
I'd love to see a square foot comparison to houses. A nice house will run around 150 a square foot to build, a cheap house can get down to around half that, the most expensive house I've worked in was around 600 a square foot.
Curiosity is peaked, assuming a bunch more per square foot to build a vehicle out than a house but I wonder how much?
My buddy outfitted a houseboat that was around 25 foot long for living, he put 90 grand or so into it not including the initial purchase and he and his wife can be on it for a few weeks at a time. Doesn't really help you with your question but maybe it'll help give an idea? Really not that different, a lot of 12v stuff, storage cabinets, appliances etc. Just one floats and one sinks like 10 thousand pounds of steel and iron.
A huge decider in buildings is final look. The materials for rough in add up but fixture and finish quality really define the cost of a house build.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Joe917

Explorer
Just curious, are there actual rv washer dryers? I'm assuming a 12v dryer would take forever to cycle, a 110 dryer takes about 4 hours to completely dry a very small load.
All I can say is if a gas dryer is an option that would probably save a huge amount in the electrical portion of the build. Dryers will pull 25 amps of 220 in a house and if you can avoid that it will save a bunch of batteries and panels or a generator to lug around.
I'd love to see a square foot comparison to houses. A nice house will run around 150 a square foot to build, a cheap house can get down to around half that, the most expensive house I've worked in was around 600 a square foot.
Curiosity is peaked, assuming a bunch more per square foot to build a vehicle out than a house but I wonder how much?
My buddy outfitted a houseboat that was around 25 foot long for living, he put 90 grand or so into it not including the initial purchase and he and his wife can be on it for a few weeks at a time. Doesn't really help you with your question but maybe it'll help give an idea? Really not that different, a lot of 12v stuff, storage cabinets, appliances etc. Just one floats and one sinks like 10 thousand pounds of steel and iron.
A huge decider in buildings is final look. The materials for rough in add up but fixture and finish quality really define the cost of a house build.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
There are rv washer dryers. They are aimed at rvs that spend their time plugged in to shore power.
Forget the dryer, hang dry.
We have a Bosch apartment washer that is 19" wide and draws 10 amps when on the spin cycle, 2-0 amps through the rest of the cycle. It gets used every week.

billiebob

I'm thinking the zero resonse is due to the zero research the OP has put into the question.
He should just go to Bring a Trailer and start exploring.

This is a used 9 year old unit..... expect a new build to cost double the winning bid.

The best buy for washer/dryer is a laundramat..... carry lots of quarters
Cool thing about laundramats..... ya meet real cool travellers

Last edited:

RoamIt

Actually I have been doing research. But I’ve done enough projects to know there are a lot of hidden costs. And no amount of looking at online catalogs, pricing things out separately will account for those. And since I’ve never done this before, I ask questions of those who have.

Isn’t coming to a forum of veteran overlanders and asking questions about their experiences/builds research?

And actually, l’m on BaT all time as I’m a car guy, but I don’t understand how your suggestion is helpful. But thanks for taking the time to chime in.

billiebob

Actually I have been doing research. But I’ve done enough projects to know there are a lot of hidden costs. And no amount of looking at online catalogs, pricing things out separately will account for those. And since I’ve never done this before, I ask questions of those who have.

Isn’t coming to a forum of veteran overlanders and asking questions about their experiences/builds research?

And actually, l’m on BaT all time as I’m a car guy, but I don’t understand how your suggestion is helpful. But thanks for taking the time to chime in.
If something like what you want is selling for $240K...... that should give you a starting point. The only reason besides personal gratification to do it yourself is can you build it for less than $240K.

But I think you lost us when you added the washer and dryer. ps, that $240K rig does not include an off grid washer and dryer.

SO, You have the cost of the truck and box, minus the $240K this one sold for might be half the cost to build out an interior from scratch comparable to this one. PLUS a 12K Watt genset to power the washer and dryer.

Last edited:

RoamIt

If something like what you want is selling for $240K...... that should give you a starting point. The only reason besides personal gratification to do it yourself is can you build it for less than $240K.

But I think you lost us when you added the washer and dryer. ps, that $240K rig does not include an off grid washer and dryer.

SO, You have the cost of the truck and box, minus the $240K this one sold for might be half the cost to build out an interior from scratch comparable to this one. PLUS a 12K Watt genset to power the washer and dryer.

Billiebob- I asked this question almost 3 months ago :) Way, way, past this now. But thanks.

rruff

Explorer
I was going to say that Andreas's van build might give you a decent idea of buildout costs. Most people don't itemize their expenses that I've seen, but he did as I recall.

nathane

I was going to say that Andreas's van build might give you a decent idea of buildout costs. Most people don't itemize their expenses that I've seen, but he did as I recall.

I started tracking, but stopped when the numbers got big and scary!! I have a log of all the "hardware" but not the "consumables". Given I'm building all the internal structure from home made vacuum formed composites these do add up. I think that using a commercial purchase price as an alternative is sensible, although you are obviously not paying labour so hopefully will do it cheaper by a chunk.

rruff

Explorer
Ya, it can get kinda depressing when you add up all the little things. For the shell I used PVC foam and pretty thick fiberglass and carbon + epoxy, which ended up being more in materials than I was initially planning (~$8k?). Not vacuum though. I wouldn't do it like this again... the sanding is not fun... and I'm not even trying to make it look pretty! The inside will be basic (no toilet, shower, heat, AC, running water, etc... maybe a fridge), so definitely a cheap build by ExPo standards.

I found Andreas's (Victorian) build costs. $93k for everything including van and box. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...-composite-camper.209666/page-12#post-2777117

RoamIt

When I posed this question in August, I was trying to establish an overall budget for the build. As I asked more questions, attended Overland East, etc. I realized I was going to have to purchase a truck, make the measurements, and design from there.

I now know that the chassis drives the box design (no pun intended) The size of the truck, GVW, etc., etc. And after seeing everything from very well crafted interior woodwork to more industrial designs that look like a hospital room, that I'm going to have to settle on an aesthetic before I can get a handle on costs.

This will be mostly a DIY build, so where I land is also going to be constrained by my limited abilities :eek: I must say, I have looked at a lot of vanlife builds, and the warmer tones and textures appeal to me more than the industrial look.

rruff

Explorer
I must say, I have looked at a lot of vanlife builds, and the warmer tones and textures appeal to me more than the industrial look.

This may or may not appeal to you, but... I built two campers using panels with foam+wood cores, and luan skins. On the second one I got smart and put an exterior coating of fiberglass. It was great; I highly recommend that method. Wish I'd done my current build that way (easier, cheaper, way less disgusting sanding) instead of getting fancy and eschewing wood. Nice thing is that the interior structural skin is wood. Just put some clear finish on it. If you are going upscale, you can use marine ply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94