Cortez Rally Raid in a GWagen???

McBride

Adventurer
The recent Expo article about the new Cortez Ralły Raid event got me thinking that something like that might be a lot of fun.

Has anybody here done one?

The couple in the article had what looked to be a moderately modified Subaru and completed the course - in first place I think.

My initial questions are:

- is an event like the Cortez Rally appropriate for an amateur with a solid vehicle (and good navigation skills)?
- if carefully driven would a relatively stock G (upgraded springs, shocks & tires be appropriate)?
- what would be preferable - LWB or SWB? Diesel or Gas? High HP or low HP?
- is it feasible to run solo or is the driver/navigator approach a safer bet?

Thanks for any input.

William

PS - I don't think I would try this in my camper but could possibly bribe my wife to lend me her G500!

Last edited:

toddz69

Explorer
PM BajaSportsmobile here on the board. He was a driver/co-driver in one of the few 4 wheeled vehicles in the Rally this year and could probably answer your questions.

My thoughts are that a GWagen is pretty heavy for this type of event and a gas engine that likes to rev a bit might be a better choice. I think a driver/navigator type of team would be preferable.

Todd Z.

McBride

Adventurer
PM BajaSportsmobile here on the board. He was a driver/co-driver in one of the few 4 wheeled vehicles in the Rally this year and could probably answer your questions.

My thoughts are that a GWagen is pretty heavy for this type of event and a gas engine that likes to rev a bit might be a better choice. I think a driver/navigator type of team would be preferable.

Todd Z.

Todd, thanks for the input and good info. I'll definitely look him up.

William

McBride

Adventurer
So I posted this in August and since then I've partnered with another forum member, Burkedoka, and signed up for the race!

We purchased a 1988 230 GE SWB G Wagen and are in the process of building it into a high performance rally raid race car.

We'll be racing under the banner of Kraut Racing.

Check out the Rally forum above for more details and a link to our GelandeVenturesllc Facebook page.

I should mention that the Sonora Rally also has a non-competitive "Safari Class" for overland type vehicles that just want to see if they can make it thru their epic 4 day course. It's going to be some serious fun in April!

William

burquedoka

Adventurer
Sounds a blast - as you know ORC fabricates fiberglass body-parts and other rally-parts for the G

A front clip would be sweeeet, maybe next year!

Our little G's cage is done, thank you Overland Motorsports LLC for an exceptional job. We are currently shopping around for paint shop sponsors next and very soon she will begin her time with our race partner, master G mechanic Marc Beyer and his shop OCD Custom Cycles and Auto Repair.
Follow our build progress closer and support us by likeing our FB page
https://www.facebook.com/Gelandeventures/

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

burquedoka

Adventurer
10 weeks to go, and our list of to-do's is still mind boggling. Currently the G is back at Overland Motorsports getting suspension reinforcements and modifications made to accommodate 10" Fox tripple bypass shocks and hydraulic bump stops. They will also truss both axles. Engine will only require top end work,that and axle refurbish will start in a week or so. We have secured several more sponsors, Titus Pullo Suspension, ATL Raceing Fuel Cells, Resolution Graphics, Foster Creative, and of course TAV, Overland a Motorsports and OCD Custom Cycles and Auto Repair.
This Gwagen is going to be as kick *** as we can possibly make it, and as newbie desert racers we are going to give it everything we have to make the podium!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 30

McBride

Adventurer
Can't wait to see the suspension mods. A set of armored axles would be good for it

Indeed. I can't wait to ride in it following the suspension mods! Big air with marshmallow landings!

The axles are definitely receiving armor and will be gusseted at the birfield knuckle. We'll definitely post a ton of pics when all of the suspension work is done.

burquedoka

Adventurer
The front axle is out and trussing has begun. I was able to complete the template for the aluminum firewall that is required to be fitted. We are currently waiting for the Fox shocks and ATL fuel cell and Mastercraft seats to be built and delivered.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg