Corporate Runaways Ambulance Build

masukomi

Ambulance Build

We're uploading lots of pictures to our instagram account as we go, but there's something to be said for using words... ;)

So, this will be the first in a series of posts documenting our Ambulance build-out. After this they'll be short daily(ish) summaries, but I need to catch you up on what's happened so far and that's going to take a bit. Apologies for the length.

Anyone who's wondering "why, an ambulance" should read this post. If you are thinking "makes sense to me" then don't bother. ;)

For those of you who don't know anything about us. We rode our motorcycles from Boston to Ushuaia in 2010-2011. While we were away one of our dogs was abused by the housesitters, and badly broken (mentally). We vowed we'd never go on another big trip without our beasts. Since then we've been trying to get back on the road, and have taken a number of trips around the US and Canada, but the Ural, and then the Vanagon we built out, just didn't work out as long term vehicles. So, now we've got a 2008 Ford E-450 Ambulance. It's only 2WD, and it's got a terrible exit angle, but we'll deal with that later... probably.

With that out of the way. Let's build!

ambulance.jpg

Getting the ambulance to our house, and getting it insured was a major exercise in patience, frustration, perseverance, and stress. So, starting the day and seeing it in our driveway was just all kinds of happy-making.

ambulance_in_driveway.jpg

But, the first day of any ambulance build must always start with cleaning. If you can get your hands on Rapicide use that. I'm not sure if it's a legally controlled substance, but practically speaking you need someone in the medical industry to get it for you. We don't have any direct contacts there, so we used bleach. Because it's an effing ambulance we used a 50% bleach 50% water mix, which is crazy high, but ambulances have good ventilation so we figured we could risk it.

bleach_all_the_things.jpg

The problem with our theory, was that yes it does have good ventilation but that doesn't help much when your head is in a cabinet filled with bleach fumes. Dachary was not feeling so hot by the end of the cleaning. We spent the next couple days working on The Box (a tale for another day) while we aired out the bleach scent.

bleach_fumes.jpg

We went back in after 2 days and wiped everything down with water, then mopped. Unfortunately the bleach scent seemed to get absorbed into the vinyl flooring. The ambulance had a weird plasticky smell to begin with, and now it was plasticky plus bleach. Yuck.

We had been pondering putting Pergo flooring on top of the vinyl. It'd be easier, and we'd have a waterproof barrier on the bottom, but it was now clear that the flooring had to go.

We headed over to the house of some friends with good brains, lots of experience, and All The Tools. A wonderful combination. We figured we'd use their tools to attack the flooring and their brains to sanity-check our plans for the bed build.

flooring_initial_work.jpg

The initial work on the flooring really got our hopes up. It came off of the formica siding so easily. Unfortunately, it didn't come off of the plywood flooring with anything resembling ease. The first day left us with very little progress.

flooring_first_section_done.jpg

We tried, a lot of things, including some sci-fi looking power hammer thing which was faster, but tended to try and dig holes in the floor. The thing we eventually found to work not only well, but relatively quickly, was to take a oscillating multi-tool with a straight wedge shaped blade, and have one person run that between the vinyl and the plywood while the other person pulled up and back really hard on the vinyl. Once we figured that out the rest of the flooring went pretty quickly. Also, always go with the grain. The multi-tool can easily start digging through a layer of the plywood.

Along the way we paused to attack the stretcher catcher.

stretcher_catcher.jpg

This had 2 bolts running through it. One was frozen solid, the other we were able to free with a pneumatic socket gun followed by a pneumatic hammer to shove the bolt up. The other one was mostly useless, but we were able to bang it up a little bit. Then we pried the free end up, and chopped the bolts off with an angle grinder.

We also stopped to check out the antennas. Fortunately this friend, and another nearby one, are ham radio geeks like us, and we'd noticed that it has five antenna mounts on the roof, plus one on the cab.

antennas-1.jpg

Four of those looked to be in a straight line, and we wondered if we might be able to create a phased array out of them. For non-radio geeks this means taking a series of short antennas in a row, and getting results equivalent to one tall antenna, as long as you're pointed at whatever you want to listen to. This would have been very cool.

antennas_not_phased_array.jpg

Unfortunately, the antennas were just kind-of in a row. Also, they're not all the same mount. They're mostly NMOs and something we're not sure about. We spent some time "ringing out" the two antenna cables inside the vehicle and found the one in the box was connected. The one in the cab wasn't connected to anything. There's another one in the cab with no end, and we know that it has been used as an ambulance loaner vehicle recently, so our theory is that whoever had it last literally ripped their radio out without disconnecting it first, and ripped the end of the good cable. So, we'll have to put an end on it before we can test it.

The antenna (only one antenna for 5 mounts up there) was, unsurprisingly, appropriate for public service bands but not for ham usage. That's an easy enough fix, but I really want to know where the cables are that connect to the other 4.

When we eventually finished removing the vinyl flooring the horrible smells were completely gone. There was a new smell of the revealed glue that was holding the vinyl down, but it wasn't bad, and we're pretty confident that when we put down the underlayment, and the Pergo on top of that we won't smell it, just like we didn't smell it when the vinyl was there. ?

Eventually we bid our hosts farewell and headed home. On the way we picked up a lovely piece of wood that will become the most beautiful countertop I have ever owned. We're going to cut the pieces, then bring it back to the wood shop who will do the finish. We thought about doing it ourselves but we've got enough things to do and they do excellent work, and have the epoxy to fill the cracks and the experience to not mar the surface with ham-fisted inexperienced work. It's just too nice of a piece of wood to do that to. Some maple tree (I think it's maple) spent decades growing to be able to give us this. We're going to have over eight feet of gorgeous countertop when this is done.

raw_countertop.jpg

As a bonus, it's only about 100 pounds of extra weight. We're just going to route a groove into it so that it can sit in and hook over the edge of the counters that are there.

We got it (Dachary suggests the ambulance is a him, I say her. Debate continues.) home, removed the metal box under the CPR Assist seat, took it to be inspected, and then took it to the local Ford dealer to give it a head-to-toe evaluation. This was supposed to take about 2 and a half hours. I asked them to fix the parking break while they were at it, because it was useless.

masukomi

FIVE DAYS LATER we reclaimed the ambulance. During that time were chomping at the bit to work on it, but instead had to spend our days doing less interesting but still necessary tasks around the house. Dachary also spent some time soldering the wiring harness for the new "head unit" (modern stereo) we're putting in. And I cut out some cardboard templates of things.

dachary_solders.jpg

It should have taken a day, maybe two, because you have to take apart the rear differential to replace the parking brake shoes on an E-450, and then they discovered that whoever was in there last used RTV instead of the appropriate gaskets, and they didn't have those on hand. It wasn't all bad news though. They were very surprised to find that literally nothing was wrong with it. They couldn't find a single other thing to bill us for. While we were settling the bill the guy just kept commenting about how "clean" it was and how surprised he was about how well it'd been maintained. Ron, over at Sugarloaf Ambulance / Rescue vehicles in Wilton Maine, is pretty awesome.

Side note: he says that he gets a pile of used ambulances every December for some reason, so if you're looking for one...

Anyway. We got it back, and finally got to work on the insides, but it was already sunset, and I had some work to do in the evening so I threw on our new seat covers.

seat_covers.jpg

Next was removing the foam from the bench seat. We're making a pull-out bed. We planned on attaching to the hinged lid of the bench so that we could easily lift it up when we needed to get under it. This meant removing approximately 40,000 staples and then slicing the foam away from the board where the adhesive didn't want to let go, which was mostly everywhere.

bench_seat_foamless.jpg

The next day Dachary came out, with the cardboard bed frame template we had made. We decided it was still poking out too far into the walkway and wanted to retrieve every inch we could. That meant hinged lids had to go entirely. Cardboard for the win! Much happier to discover that now than after we'd built the bed.

bed_frame_templates.jpg

bench_seat_seatless.jpg

It also meant "scene safety BSI" (Body Substance Isolation) as our First Responder instructor has drilled into us. We don't know what fluids caused that grossness where the hinge was, and we don't want to know. Gloves. More cleaner, and taking care to make sure there's no transfer. Yuck.

The next day we taped up the cardboard templates of the sink, range, fridge, and cat flap.

appliance_templates.jpg

You can't see the cat-flap but it will lead to one of the outside compartments where we'll be storing the litter box, grey water, and propex heater.

The range is going into the hole for / under the CPR assist seat. After much pondering, measuring, and re-measuring we made the first real cut.

oven_cutting.jpg

The result was just about perfect.

oven_hole.jpg

Today we cut the hole for the sink.

cutting_sink_hole.jpg

It was nasty work. The blue countertop is some sort of plastic that weighs a ton and releases noxious fumes when cut. It was bad with the jig saw. It was "I don't care that it's 35 degrees outside open the doors and turn on the vent!" with the Dremel. Two sides of the cut were too close to the raised lip for the jig saw though. If you have to cut through this stuff I strongly recommend getting a respirator. Once we started we weren't going to stop and make, yet another run to Home Depot. We'd already made one this morning.

While waiting for batteries to recharge we cut the pieces of the box that will support the oven in its hole.

dachary_cuts_box.jpg

Today's cleanup found me frustrated with our tools sitting on the floor getting sawdusty, so I made a little holder for them on one of the walls.

tool_bar.jpg

And that brings you up to today.

eblau

Adventurer
thank you for posting here in addition to the instagram, a lot of forums seem to be going dry from people defecting to social media

masukomi

Today was all about prepping for cutting the counter. In order to do that, we needed to, at least temporarily, mount the stove to make sure everything worked out where we planned it. We had to adjust some of the cuts on the supporting box, but other than that it went well. We still need to put in the angle brackets to hold the box together, but it's wedged in firmly enough to hold things for measuring.

kay_ponders_stove.jpg

We debated what we're going to do with the counter above it, and ultimately ended up somewhere between the first and second idea. It'll be a piece of the counter, hinged at the back and caught at the top with a different catch mechanism than originally planned. I think it's going to be pretty cool.

Next up, was cutting a cardboard template for the tricky end of the counter.

counter_template.jpg

We're going to measure many times, draw lines, then use the template to sanity check that the lines are close to physical reality before cutting. Ultimately we're going to have over nine feet of countertop.

We finished off the day with yet another trip to Home Depot. Dachary commented that it's literally become a daily trip. This time we needed to buy the faucet for the sink. Unfortunately when it comes to faucets your choices appear to be crap, or $$$. Because the sink is only 5" deep we need something really tall that will go over the dishes sitting in it. I was seriously tempted by one of the low flow bathroom sinks that would have helped us minimize water usage, but it was just too short. In the end we went with the one Dachary liked despite it being one of the most expensive ones in the store. This was in no small part because I didn't want to spend $$$ on any of them and we may as well get one that one of us particularly likes. I was unsure about the color, but I suspect she's right and it's going to look better than the various metallic choices. We don't actually have a picture of it to show you, but you'll see it when the counter's done.

We'll probably start cutting the countertop tomorrow. Then checking it for fit. then so much routing, and a complicated cut as I attempt to cut out the sink hole and retain it for use as a cutting board that rests in the hole.

masukomi

thank you for posting here in addition to the instagram, a lot of forums seem to be going dry from people defecting to social media

I love seeing pics of people's builds on Instagram, but it's just not the same as a good build thread. Instagram's good for "oh hey, that's neat" not asking questions, or understanding the thinking behind something or details, or.... well anything beyond an interesting short lived visual that people will probably never see again.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
If you’ve not installed the tap yet... we’ve managed to get the same or better taps through eBay for a fraction of the price. The PriceFister tap with pull out hose we bought for our kitchen was $60 vs $200 at Home Depot.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Now you’ve got me trying to figure out where to build a counter. Darn it.

Actually I’ll probably just have the desk(work surface) that folds down from the ‘Murphy’ style bed. I’ll only have a fridge and microwave inside and the cooking will be done outside.

masukomi

If you’ve not installed the tap yet... we’ve managed to get the same or better taps through eBay for a fraction of the price. The PriceFister tap with pull out hose we bought for our kitchen was $60 vs $200 at Home Depot.

innnnteresting. I wouldn't have thought to look on ebay for the same thing. Ours is still in the box. I'll take a look.

Actually I’ll probably just have the desk(work surface) that folds down from the ‘Murphy’ style bed. I’ll only have a fridge and microwave inside and the cooking will be done outside.

There are a lot of arguments for a murphy style bed. There's one problem we can't get around. The only side window is on the side opposite the cabinetry. if we did a murphy bed we'd end up blocking our primary light source all the time. Also, the slide-out bed gives us a bench to sit on during the day, and our Vanagon taught us that we'll use that a lot. Especially around lunch time.

Our space isn't currently open between the cab and the box, except for the pass-through. So we can't swivel the seats around to use at lunch time (or any other time), so we need good seating options during the day.

A fold down work surface coming off of the bottom of one sounds like a great idea. We are going with a Lagun table support (probably a butcher block table on top of that) that we can use while sitting on the bed (in couch form). That only addresses one person working at a time though. I think something that comes out from the counter could enable a second worker. I'm concerned about back ergonomics though. The couch will be comfy for chilling, but for sitting and working for hours... probably not going to be great. Maybe a standing desk? Not sure where though.

Now you’ve got me trying to figure out where to build a counter. Darn it.

Our counter is going to be amazing, _but_ I'm undecided about the cabinetry above it. It's going to be _so_ useful, but at the same time I'm wondering how much it will impede the usefulness of the counter.

masukomi

Yesterday was a write-off. We took Dachary to the optometrist and then decided to be "healthy" and eat at the Whole Foods buffet. I got many small things. Dachary got some sushi and chicken salad. With one exception everything was terrible.

Then we went home and became sick.

Eventually I went and cut this arc as a proof of concept that we could cut out the sink hole, and retain the interior wood as an insertable cutting board. Then I went back inside and we both went to bed before 8 PM (we never do that).

an_arc.jpg

We started today with a trip to Home Depot. Then we started in on the counter. We had to break it down into three pieces. Dachary is in charge of the Circular Saw work so this fell to her.

dachary_cuts_corner.jpg

kay_finishes_with_jig_saw.jpg

and I finished up the corner cuts with the Jig Saw. Somewhere in there we managed to go to Home Depot again (more clamps and LED tube bulbs to replace a dead fluorescent, and lame florescent) and grocery shopping.

Then we put everything in place to see how it fit, and debate some placement issues that we'd discovered after cutting.

counter_sections_in_place.jpg

The sink is going to go in the corner near the oxygen ports in that picture. When we went back to cut a hole for it we got a bit stumped. Our jig saw blade isn't quite long enough. We could do it with the Dremel but experience tells me I really don't like using the drill saw blades even with a rail to guide me. I have to do it for the corner but if I can avoid it for the straights I will. Dachary didn't want to do a plunge cut with the circular saw, and I didn't really blame her, even if we did build a jig to guide it.

We went in to consult the oracle (YouTube) and our friends. It was pointed out that we could get longer Jig Saw blades, and then, after a little investigation, we discovered that we had a "Progressive" blade (I have no idea what that means) that is just long enough. Unfortunately, we've both lost steam and have decided that the sink hole and the routing will have to wait until tomorrow.

The counter is really impressive. We sat there and stared at it for ten minutes drinking our Tea and Coffee. I can't wait to use it.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I agree with you whole heartedly, it’s a beautiful piece. It makes me want to dig out and refinish the maple drafting table top I’m planning to repurpose into a desk top. It’s a solid slab more than an inch thick... with some spalted areas. When I found it, I had to save and reuse it.

masukomi

We have fluorescent lights and incandescent lights. The incandescent lights are old-school automotive lights that just make you depressed about how much power they're taking and how little light they're producing. I'm determined to replace them with LEDs. I'm determined to replace the fluorescents with LEDs too, but so far I am incapable of finding any LED tube lights of the appropriate length.

I started the day by exploring what was above the incandescent enclosure. If you've ever looked in the walls of an RV you know it can be a scary place. This was beautifully clean and tidy. Even better, it answered the question of why the antennas are where they are! They're all above the lights. When I showed this to Dachary she pointed out that this means we can run the solar cables through one of the unused antenna holes, after widening it a bit.

above_the_light.jpg

As a bonus, the antenna wires, like all the other wires, are clearly labeled. This is number 2. Alas, I have no idea where the other end of some of them are, but now when I find another single wire line labeled 2 I know what it is.

After taking some measurement's I went and ordered some LED replacements. We'll repurpose the little wiring harness for them so that we can easily remove them if we need to.

Dachary started the day with a serious headache, and after that discovery it was clear she was going to be unable to help much with the build. I asked her to sanity check my measurements on the sink hole before she went back inside to stop making her head throb.

That left me with the sink hole, and the dreaded Dremel drill saw. The blade fell out twice. I ended up having to use pliers to screw the collet down hard enough to keep it in place. After learning that on the test piece I moved on to the real thing. There I learned that the stupid circular cut accessory ALSO needs to be clamped down unreasonably tight or else it slowly decreases the radius of your cut. Joy!

This meant there was no way the cutting board would ever fit inside the hole cleanly. I had to cut away so much extra wood to compensate for the imprecision of the Dremel cuts. I cut. I sanded. I cut more. I sanded more. I got the big board into a reasonable state of being, but I still need to sand the concave corners, and that required another trip to Home Depot (quelle surprise?!), which we eventually made.

I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning up the cutting board, and then cleaning the workspace for the next round of work. I'm sad the cutting board won't fit as nicely as I want. The hole is too big front to back so there's still debate if we'll have the sink under the hole or on top of the counter. We'll see after we route out the grooves that will let us set it in place.

counter_with_sink_hole.jpg

The gap you see under the hole there is artificial until we route the grooves.

That was yesterday. Routing the grooves was today's project. In order to do that we needed to build a jig for routing, which we did. We then discovered we'd used a piece of MDF that was too thin, so the router hits the piano hinge that is the key to the jig. There's also an extra 1/16" (damn imperial measurements!) that got introduced, but we don't know where / how yet.

We've decided to say "******** it". This is for the underside of the counter and being off by a small amount isn't a big deal with these cuts. We just need to compensate for the width of the hinge and the extra 1/16" when we place the jig.

With regards to the Ambulance, that was all we accomplished today, other than the inevitable trip to Home Depot for sanding sponges, screws, and something I've forgotten. "Life" managed to take up the rest of the day: grocery shopping, a trip to the vet for more flea, tick, and heart-worm medication, cooking, and giving out candy to small children (and large ones) in the evening.

Bodon68

It looks like you guys have ambulance box very similar, if not same, as ours (Road Rescue). We have full stand up shower, toilet, fridge/freezer among other goodies in ours....love it....and love seeing your build out!

Hamstorm

What's the inside height on this thing? I like the idea of an ambulance, but I think most of them are too short to stand upright. I'm 6'2", and being able to stand upright would be a bonus.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
What's the inside height on this thing? I like the idea of an ambulance, but I think most of them are too short to stand upright. I'm 6'2", and being able to stand upright would be a bonus.

Type 3... 5’6”
I’m 6’4” and it’s not bad to move around in, but can’t stand up straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94