Corporate Runaways Ambulance Build

masukomi

Can't stop making holes

We set to work on the cat box / heater / grey water compartment. At the heart of it is a backwards "h" shaped "box" thing [I'll get you a picture after it's installed]. The litter box will be on top. The Propex will be below with air tubes going out through the right wall of the "h" and then into the compartment. To the right of the wall dividing the compartment (the tall side of the "h") will be 2 six gallon water jugs that we intend to use for grey water. I wanted something that was really easy to empty and get in and out of the vehicle. Dump stations will rarely be an option.

building_cat_box_box.jpeg

The first step was to cut a hole for the cat flap so that she can get to the cat box. Some of the cuts required a fair amount of contortion.

contortions.jpeg

The whole process dragged on into the evening. It's getting dark so early these days, but we got it done.

cat_door_plus_heater_holes.jpeg

Before we started that cutting we made one hole from the outside in, after putting the "h" in place and setting a cat box on top of it. That hole defined the location of the bottom right corner of the cat flap. Then we went inside and made lots of careful measurements, and debated if it was straight or not. There more holes from the inside and we were ready to use the angle grinder and jig saw to finish the hole.

That first hole was a bit surprising because we definitely went all the way through, but we couldn't see it. Turns out the drill bit just pushed the Formica away from the wall. I tested it out and it was actually pretty loosely attached. Thinking no Formica would be better for attaching the wood we'll eventually be adding I gave I pull and it came off quite easily. Yaaay.

pulling_formica.jpeg

Of course, it was just that one pice that came off easily. There have been hours of pounding a paint scraper with a rubber mallet to force the well glued Formica away from the wall. Chisels were a no-go because they kept wanting to take wood with them.

We figured we'd just do this half and then sand the rest of the Formica. Unfortunately P.L. Custom chose a really good Formica which is almost impossible to scratch up even with an orbital sander. Means they'll stay really clean. Also meant we had to remove a lot of Formica.

more_formica_removal.jpeg

The white Formica is more fricative so it should be amenable to the adhesive we're going to be using. Just to be safe i went over it with 30 grit sandpaper. I made the executive decision that we would not be removing the white stuff because it would require removing and then reinstalling way too many doodads.

Dachary ended up getting a bad headache today so after helping a little with the Formica, switched to a more supervisory / moral support role.

dachary_supervises.jpeg

From this vantage point she noticed an interesting piano hinge under our rear control panel. Our theory is that they want it to be easy to get in and service the electronics behind the panel but we haven't figured out what needs to be undone to make the latch swing free. I think we'll need to break out the borescope. Even if we find something I'm not sure we'll be able to reach it, but... we'll see.

In the evenings I've been digging into the question of what ham radio(s) to install. We were planning on installing a Kenwood TM-D710GA, which is a pretty nice rig, and one our CERT team uses, so our usage experience would be transferable during deployments.

The problem is, I really want to do some long distance contacts from National Parks (POTA) and that means longer wavelengths that that radio can't do. I wanted to combine that with a nice HT rig like the icom IC-7300 which looks like an absolute joy to use and gets incredible reviews but is almost another $1k (not counting antenna).

I note this now because on Black Friday we'll be near a Ham Radio Outlet store, and they have sales, and no sales tax in NH, and I have to figure out which radio(s) to get, but ham stuff isn't cheap, and we're both currently unemployed. We're currently debating how to meet the goal of having a useful ham radio setup we'll actually enjoy using, and not going broke.

Side note: both currently unemployed because we were both totally burnt out, and desperately needed the mental break. So, we're living off of savings until one of us gets a job, or finds some other way to bring in money. Mostly, this conversion project is a really good way to work on something different, where we can see real progress, and use different parts of our brain. That being said, it's taking way longer than expected... and way more trips to Home Depot...holy crap!

masukomi

The holes... they're getting pretty demoralizing.

We've made so many holes. Drilled through that. Cut through the other. Jigsawed this... just... holes holes holes. Holes for propane pipes. Holes for electrical wiring. Holes for stoves. Holes for cabinets. Holes for cat flaps. All the freaking holes.

It got so that we were both "I don't wanna go out in the cold and make more holes." every time we had to start a new day of van work.

Yesterday was different. Yesterday, we started in on the floor! We still have more holes to make, but we're done with all the holes that were preventing us from laying the floor.

Step one: lay down some Reflectix.

kay_installs_reflectix.jpeg

Step two: lay down some underlayment

kay_installs_underlayment.jpeg

It wasn't clear to us which we should do first. I'm thinking it doesn't really matter much as both should act as a vapor barrier.

Yes, we realize that Reflectix doesn't count as insulation. It's purely for reflecting radiant heat. That being said, we can't actually install insulation on this side of the floor. I can't actually stand up straight under the grab rails or the heat / ac duct. I can only stand up straight on the sides. Even adding the Reflectix was a question.

You'll notice I'm wearing socks. It's literally almost freezing outside, and there's snow on the ground, but our shoes tracked in water, so every time we came into the ambulance we had to take off our shoes. Our feet were freezing.

Step three lots of cutting.

kay_cuts_pergo.jpeg

It's surprising just how much jig saw cutting we had to do. We were expecting zip zip zip with the miter saw, but no. Lots of weird cuts. A table saw would have been very helpful for most of it, but we don't have one of those. At this point I'm kind-of regretting not getting one at the start of the build. It would have improved a lot of things and saved a lot of time. Easily worth the money. Of course, we couldn't fit it in the garage with the other tools...

weird_cuts.jpeg

Anyway. It all came together and I can not tell you how absolutely ecstatic I am about it. It looks great, and more importantly it's forward progress on the build that isn't just destroying and or putting holes in things.

sweet_sweet_flooring.jpeg

pergo_close_up.jpeg

To finish off the day we routed the edge of the door we'll be installing between the cab and the back. When we're done, anyone looking in the cab will just see more gray automotive carpeting and no hint of a tiny house in the back. We were going to add the automotive carpeting tonight, but yet another trip to Home Depot, and the supermarket, and increased complexity in what we're going to do with the back side of it... Well, we decided to wait until tomorrow.

door_routing.jpeg

Dachary and I both love being able to put nice rounded edges on things. It's not necessary, but it's such a nice touch that just makes things that much better.

When we weren't putting more holes in things, or cutting doors, or installing trash cans (behind a hole), we started putting together a new first aid bag for this vehicle. I brought in the other one, to make sure we laid it out identically. Despite all our spare first aid stuff, and the starter kit i got the bag with, we still ordered another ~$200 worth of stuff to go in it.

On the one hand we love being first responders and knowing what to do in a medical emergency. On the other hand, a real first aid kit that'll actually do anything more than put a band-aid on your "boo boo" is not cheap. I want to say it'd be nice to be ignorant and not spend all this money and space, but really it'd suck to be injured and not have access to good kit, or knowledge of what to do with it. We may not get many serious injuries, but our kits get a fair amount of use. Even if it's just digging out an exceptionally deep splinter and keeping the would sterile.

new_first_aid_kit.jpeg

Side note for those curious:
It's laminate flooring. We were going to go with "Pergo Outlast+" because we've had good experience with Pergo in our last build, but the current Pergo offerings kinda suck. They look fine, but the moment you see a light reflecting off of them it becomes painfully obvious that it's just an image printed on them. We went with "Home Decorators Collection" brand because they did a really good job of putting artificial texture that matches the grain of the wood. Some of the Pergo colors do that too, but not the ones we were interested in. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I do wish there were more variations. I think there are like 6 different prints, so you have to very careful when laying them out to avoid accidentally putting repeating boards right next to each other.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The holes... they're getting pretty demoralizing.

We've made so many holes. Drilled through that. Cut through the other. Jigsawed this... just... holes holes holes. Holes for propane pipes. Holes for electrical wiring. Holes for stoves. Holes for cabinets. Holes for cat flaps. All the freaking holes.

It got so that we were both "I don't wanna go out in the cold and make more holes." every time we had to start a new day of van work.

Yesterday was different. Yesterday, we started in on the floor! We still have more holes to make, but we're done with all the holes that were preventing us from laying the floor.

Step one: lay down some Reflectix.

kay_installs_reflectix.jpeg

Step two: lay down some underlayment

kay_installs_underlayment.jpeg

It wasn't clear to us which we should do first. I'm thinking it doesn't really matter much as both should act as a vapor barrier.

Yes, we realize that Reflectix doesn't count as insulation. It's purely for reflecting radiant heat. That being said, we can't actually install insulation on this side of the floor. I can't actually stand up straight under the grab rails or the heat / ac duct. I can only stand up straight on the sides. Even adding the Reflectix was a question.

You'll notice I'm wearing socks. It's literally almost freezing outside, and there's snow on the ground, but our shoes tracked in water, so every time we came into the ambulance we had to take off our shoes. Our feet were freezing.

Step three lots of cutting.

kay_cuts_pergo.jpeg

It's surprising just how much jig saw cutting we had to do. We were expecting zip zip zip with the miter saw, but no. Lots of weird cuts. A table saw would have been very helpful for most of it, but we don't have one of those. At this point I'm kind-of regretting not getting one at the start of the build. It would have improved a lot of things and saved a lot of time. Easily worth the money. Of course, we couldn't fit it in the garage with the other tools...

weird_cuts.jpeg

Anyway. It all came together and I can not tell you how absolutely ecstatic I am about it. It looks great, and more importantly it's forward progress on the build that isn't just destroying and or putting holes in things.

sweet_sweet_flooring.jpeg

pergo_close_up.jpeg

To finish off the day we routed the edge of the door we'll be installing between the cab and the back. When we're done, anyone looking in the cab will just see more gray automotive carpeting and no hint of a tiny house in the back. We were going to add the automotive carpeting tonight, but yet another trip to Home Depot, and the supermarket, and increased complexity in what we're going to do with the back side of it... Well, we decided to wait until tomorrow.

door_routing.jpeg

Dachary and I both love being able to put nice rounded edges on things. It's not necessary, but it's such a nice touch that just makes things that much better.

When we weren't putting more holes in things, or cutting doors, or installing trash cans (behind a hole), we started putting together a new first aid bag for this vehicle. I brought in the other one, to make sure we laid it out identically. Despite all our spare first aid stuff, and the starter kit i got the bag with, we still ordered another ~$200 worth of stuff to go in it.

On the one hand we love being first responders and knowing what to do in a medical emergency. On the other hand, a real first aid kit that'll actually do anything more than put a band-aid on your "boo boo" is not cheap. I want to say it'd be nice to be ignorant and not spend all this money and space, but really it'd suck to be injured and not have access to good kit, or knowledge of what to do with it. We may not get many serious injuries, but our kits get a fair amount of use. Even if it's just digging out an exceptionally deep splinter and keeping the would sterile.

new_first_aid_kit.jpeg

Side note for those curious:
It's laminate flooring. We were going to go with "Pergo Outlast+" because we've had good experience with Pergo in our last build, but the current Pergo offerings kinda suck. They look fine, but the moment you see a light reflecting off of them it becomes painfully obvious that it's just an image printed on them. We went with "Home Decorators Collection" brand because they did a really good job of putting artificial texture that matches the grain of the wood. Some of the Pergo colors do that too, but not the ones we were interested in. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I do wish there were more variations. I think there are like 6 different prints, so you have to very careful when laying them out to avoid accidentally putting repeating boards right next to each other.
I can relate to the first aid kit. I carry a serious kit with oral airways, stiff neck collars, puke sucker, compress dressings, triangular bandages, aluminum splinting strips... etc.

Right after I finished my industrial first aide (OFA III), a classmate of mine called me up at 2am... she’s had a couple drinks, fallen, and split open head... all I got out of her was an address and that she was bleeding a ‘lot’.
All I had was a 4x4 dressing... didn’t even have a roll of medical tape... never again. Turns out it was a small cut, but I couldn’t just leave her there without finding out what was up.
The next day I bought a first responders bag and stocked it with gear. Although I’ve not renewed my ticket... after about 125 hours of instruction & practice, you never forget. It covered everything short of administering medicine... that only came if I continued and became a paramedic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior