Corned Beef Hash

GlenStanley

Man... I'm so giving this stuff a try!!! Feel like I'm a little (or maybe, a lot) behind on this. Heading to Baja for a couple of weeks and looking for something new to cook over the campfire.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I like it with a little ketchup. Also good if you scramble it up with an egg. Everything tastes better when camping/overlanding.

kalieaire

Observer
I'll do the hormel when I'm lazy, which is.. like most of the time.

However, during March before St Paddy's, I'll pick up 4 of the fresh ones and freeze 3 of them for the rest of the year. I wash the slime off, use the spice packet, throw in a head or two of cabbage and a few rough cubed potatoes (or those baby potatoes with skin) and throw it all into a bag and vacpack it. I'll sous vide or slow cooker it for about 10hrs at 175-180f.

Comes out flakey, tender, and moist, but won't dissolve under the pressure of a knife when slicing. All the salt transfers into the cabbage and potatoes so it's perfectly seasoned. Add a dollop of mustard and you're g2g. Great for sandwiches or just by itself.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I enjoy some of the canned good like this. They totally have their place: long lasting, light, taste good...they do their job. However, they're usually not the best thing for you as we've already discussed.

I've had good luck splitting turkey Spam into 3rds; one third per day to minimize high sodium intake.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I bought a plug in food heater to use when I travel. I put in a bit of rice, canned chicken or some CBH and rice. Heats up while I drive and meal is ready when I stop, especially when weather is cold or rainy and I would rather not be out side over a camp stove.

frankthecampguy

Perfect canned corned beef hash. I made it for my fiance who had only had it as a child. She quickly stated she missed this in life. No need to tweak this recipe at all. The nested eggs were a treat as well.

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
So I grew up with Corned Beef dinners and always looked forward to home made hash the next day. I've never been a fan of the canned stuff, so here's what I usually do. If you're going on a long trip it's pretty good idea to get/bring along a six quart pressure cooker. The corned beef can be made in 1 - 1 1/2 hours with the potatoes and (I always do green beans) cabbage if that's your taste. The green beans can go in once the pressure has dropped. This gives you great leftovers for corned beef sandwiches and hash for the next few days. When going on a short trip, I just make the corned beef in a slow cooker the day before I leave and slice up some of the meet for sandwiches and then make a container of the hash already already cut up.

Yes a lot more work than opening a can, but if read the label on that can I'm sure there is enough sodium and many stabilizers/chemicals that you can probably do without. Just an alternative if you want to eat somewhat healthier.

Sorry,just can’t do canned corned beef hash either. I’m sure it goes against the original theme, but Dutch oven corned beef dinner followed by legit corned beef hash and eggs the next morning really has to be the best breakfast ever,right?

I'll do the hormel when I'm lazy, which is.. like most of the time.

However, during March before St Paddy's, I'll pick up 4 of the fresh ones and freeze 3 of them for the rest of the year. I wash the slime off, use the spice packet, throw in a head or two of cabbage and a few rough cubed potatoes (or those baby potatoes with skin) and throw it all into a bag and vacpack it. I'll sous vide or slow cooker it for about 10hrs at 175-180f.

Comes out flakey, tender, and moist, but won't dissolve under the pressure of a knife when slicing. All the salt transfers into the cabbage and potatoes so it's perfectly seasoned. Add a dollop of mustard and you're g2g. Great for sandwiches or just by itself.

definitely gonna give this a shot! Always do corned beef in a Dutch oven on a shallow bed of onions and Guinness, but we sous vide all the time too. Just never corned beef. Thanks!

kalieaire

Observer
Sorry,just can’t do canned corned beef hash either. I’m sure it goes against the original theme, but Dutch oven corned beef dinner followed by legit corned beef hash and eggs the next morning really has to be the best breakfast ever,right?

definitely gonna give this a shot! Always do corned beef in a Dutch oven on a shallow bed of onions and Guinness, but we sous vide all the time too. Just never corned beef. Thanks!

This is the best guide because it outlines time vs temperature and the overall product you'll produce at the end. You don't have to exactly follow their recipe. I just use the costco one so it comes w/ the flavor packet, and I rinse mine before I throw it in the hot water so it's less salty. Works out great every time!

old_CWO

Canned corned beef hash with a sunny side egg on top is top notch! It's a bit of a guilty pleasure because of the fat and sodium but you only live once right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles