Corned Beef Hash

rnArmy

Adventurer
Am I the only one that likes Corned Beef Hash?

I'm getting ready for a long (for me... about 3 weeks long) overlanding trip in about two months, and it'll be just me in the vehicle this time. So I'm trying to get smaller sized food (servings for one is what I'm trying to say). I don't want to gain a lot of weight on this next trip.

So I've been looking for the small cans of Corned Beef Hash (so I wouldn't be tempted to eat a whole large can, or have to throw some of it out). I went to two grocery stores with no luck, but on my third try (Wal-Mart)... score! At first I was going to get just one can, then I figured two, then I figured while they were on the shelf in front of me and I'd been having trouble finding them... eight cans. Not that I'll eat a can every morning, but it'll be nice to have plenty.

Everything tastes better when camping.

emulous74

So I grew up with Corned Beef dinners and always looked forward to home made hash the next day. I've never been a fan of the canned stuff, so here's what I usually do. If you're going on a long trip it's pretty good idea to get/bring along a six quart pressure cooker. The corned beef can be made in 1 - 1 1/2 hours with the potatoes and (I always do green beans) cabbage if that's your taste. The green beans can go in once the pressure has dropped. This gives you great leftovers for corned beef sandwiches and hash for the next few days. When going on a short trip, I just make the corned beef in a slow cooker the day before I leave and slice up some of the meet for sandwiches and then make a container of the hash already already cut up.

Yes a lot more work than opening a can, but if read the label on that can I'm sure there is enough sodium and many stabilizers/chemicals that you can probably do without. Just an alternative if you want to eat somewhat healthier.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Let's see... per lil' can of corned beef hash: 22 grams of fat, 870mg sodium & 340 calories. Maybe one or two cans max/week for breakfast while overlanding? Sometimes this just hits the spot though, especially when on the road. A lil' can of this, a little side of freeze-dried hash-browns from the little milk carton containers (just use half the carton, and save the rest for another morning) and a coffee beverage and I'm good for quite a while.

That's why I got the small cans of corned beef hash after a bit of searching.

Sometimes I just like a good filling breakfast in the morning. Yeah; sometimes I'll just have a bowl of cereal if I don't feel like cooking, but othertimes I want something more substantial.

And here's the real truth: My health conscious wife (I love her) doesn't like to buy or cook this kind of stuff. So when I'm out camping/overlanding/"out on one of my adventures" and I'm cooking for myself (often she doesn't go with me), I tend to get some of the food-stuff I don't get at home. And when camp cooking I tend to add lots of bacon bits to what I cook too. Man food.

Last edited:

emulous74

Hey, I'm by no means a health freak, and I eat rather poorly. I totally understand comfort food. My post was just an alternative to something I think tastes a lot better and more versatile in terms of using something for more than just one meal.

rnArmy

Adventurer
My Mom used to cook corned beef and potatoes - it was one of my favorite meals.

When I'm on one of my adventures and cooking, I like to keep it simple. Lots of canned food and prepackaged stuff (like alfredo noodles in those little packets and a can of canned chicken). Definitely not the healthiest way to eat, but simple and easy to prepare. Even a can of beef stew tastes better when cooked on a camp stove. I try to get the smaller sized cans so I'm not overeating.

When on one of my adventures, it is also about the only time I eat spam.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I quit CBH when I realized I was drinking a gallon of water before lunch. Too much salt!

rnArmy

Adventurer
I agree - it is a lot of salt in those little cans of corned beef hash. I would be more than happy with a lower sodium version (in the small cans). Is there such a thing? Let me know.

But thinking about being out in the wilderness & digging into a little plate of hot CBH, a toasted English muffin, and a cold mocha beverage in the morning just puts a smile on my face.

Speaking of which....

16 August we leave Bellingham, WA heading north - destination to run the Dempster Highway in NW Canada ultimately to the Arctic Ocean (where those of us who bring kayaks will do a little paddling in the Arctic Ocean). We'll return to Bellingham 2 September (18 days later) - send me a PM with your email address for more info if you want to join us. I plan on having some corned beef hash for breakfast at least a couple times during this trip.

Last edited:

trae

Adventurer
I was really taken aback by how salty my dish tasted with canned corned beef. I googled a bit and one suggestion that seemed reasonable was to boil the beef in water briefly and then dump that water.

I haven’t tried that yet. One reason I was experimenting with canned meat is convenience. The boil before you use method may be useful but certainly not convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rnArmy

Adventurer
Hormel does sell a "reduced sodium" can of corned beef hash (I guess I should have googled it sooner). Says it has 25% less sodium. But it is the full sized can (twice the size of the little cans I bought). I guess I could use just half a can at a time, but once it is opened I would have to keep the leftover in the ice cooler. Or throw it out (I'm trying not to waste space), or eat the whole can in one sitting (kinda defeats the purpose of not eating so much).

Spam also has a 25% lower sodium version of spam (along with a bunch of different flavors).

This is making me hungry (I'm not kidding - it is close to midnight and I'm getting the munchies doing these searches).

Wilbah

Adventurer
I am with you about comfort food when out on the road. And I'm a fan of CBH (Plus can never eat it at home as my wife frowns on such behavior ha!). Plus I like that cans of CBH and Dinty Moore (also a staple in the chuck box) will keep forever.

No not as good as homemade ever but the convenience is key some times when you're on the road.

I'm also using the cheaper "tupperware" (not Tupperware brand, maybe Glad or others?) For leftovers, if I have some extra just throw it back in the cooler for the next day. (Sausage gravy for example). :)

Now I'm hungry haha :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles