Corbeau seats for 1st gen Tacoma

cr500taco

Adventurer
I need to replace my seats in my '97 Tacoma extra cab, because my drivers seat is ripped and lost some of the stuffing and is getting uncomfortable for long trips. I have been looking into the Corbeau Sport, Moab and Baja seats, since it will cost about the same as getting new cusions and upholstery from the dealer. Need to look into upholstery shops for pricing and to see what they can do.

I am wondering if the Moab, Sport and/or baja seats, sit similar to the oem seats. I have been told to just repair my seats, because aftermarket seats might not fit correctly or sit higher or angled differently. I know Corbeau has bolt in brackets for their seats that bolt right in to the stock locations. Juat looking for user reviews about how they sit in the truck, seat height and angle compared to the stock seats.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I have an '89 extra cab pickup so the internal cab dimensions are very similar to the first gen Tacoma. If anything my cab may be a bit smaller, but I don't think so.
About a year and 7-8,000 miles ago I put the Corbeau Baja reclining seats in my truck and I couldn't be happier! They are very comfortable and the support on the trail is great. I find them to be way more comfy than anything I have ever had in my past trucks.
As far as how they mount with their brackets I cannot tell you. I took the seat mounts off of my old bucket seats and modified them to fit the Corbeau. I actually raised them up an inch while I was at it because I never liked how low I sat in the stock seats. For size reference I'm 5'10 and 190 on a heavy day.
Hope some of this helps

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Oh, they are a bit wider than the factory seats and I don't run a center console so you might want to ask if they still work with the console in place.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Glad to keep hearing that they are really comfortable. I read that they are comfortable and that's why I started looking into them. I am hoping that they don't sit any higher than the srock seats. I like the height, right now. I am 6'1" and I don't want to sit any higher. I don't have a center console, because I have the split bench. But was was thinking of getting a center console if it will fit between the seats.

HotNotch

I ended up putting 96 Mustang GT buckets in my 91 Extended Cab, but someday I hope to put in a nice set of corbeaus. Every pair I've ever sat in has been comfortable. I do know that even with my own custom brackets, my Mustang seats sat taller than the factory but not buy much.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
You could always stop at a wrecking yard and try some stock seats from other vehicles. I've read the scion seats are an easy swap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pirates712

You could always stop at a wrecking yard and try some stock seats from other vehicles. I've read the scion seats are an easy swap.

The seats in my '09 xB are comfortable for short drives, but not comfortable after about 2 hours. The seats in my '00 Tundra are much more comfortable for long drives.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I used 4Runner sport seats in my '91 after having aftermarket buckets (not Corbeau though). I hated the high side bolsters, always hit my head on the door frame getting in over them. I'm 6', 175 lbs.

I loved the 4Runner seats, adjustable lumbar, lower seat tilt and had the upper side wings that would squeeze your lower back. Very comfortable and the ability to clamp you in was nice on the trails but you still could back them off for everyday so it wasn't a pain to get in and out.

You can spot them because they have a dial on the outside to tilt the front up and down, a lever to recline, a dial on the inside to move the kidney wings in and out and the headrests tilt in and out with a ratcheting.

They bolted in, 7 of the 8 holes matched straight up where a bench seat used to be. Think I had to relocate one hole, but that might have been on the aftermarket seats. A 6.5" Tuffy fit OK between them, a little snug but not undoable.

IMG_4088_mid.jpg IMG_4089_mid.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

These were the aftermarket seats I used, Procar something or other. Absolutely hated them. But they may have just been junk, I dunno. Those lower bolsters were terrible, had to hop over them to drop down into the bucket. They were fine to ride in, decently comfortable. But just a major PITA getting in and out.

IMG_7234_sm.jpg

cr500taco

Adventurer
I've been in a XB. I think that I will sit higher in them, compared to my Tacoma seats. I noticed that i sit in it more like a chair compared to my Tacoma. In my Tacoma my legs are stretched out in front of me.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I used 4Runner sport seats in my '91 after having aftermarket buckets (not Corbeau though). I hated the high side bolsters, always hit my head on the door frame getting in over them. I'm 6', 175 lbs.

I loved the 4Runner seats, adjustable lumber, lower seat tilt and had the upper side wings that would squeeze your lower back. Very comfortable and the ability to clamp you in was nice on the trails but you still you could back them off for everyday so it wasn't a pain to get in and out.

You can spot them because they have a dial on the outside to tilt the front up and down, a lever to recline, a dial on the inside to move the kidney wings in and out and the headrests tilt in and out with a ratcheting.

They bolted in, 7 of the 8 holes matched straight up where a bench seat used to be. Think I had to relocate one hole, but that might have been on the aftermarket seats. A 6.5" Tuffy fit OK between them, a little snug but not undoable.

View attachment 384286 View attachment 384287

I've read that the 4 runner seats pretty much bolt right in and they are a lot more comfortabl, than the Tacoma seats. But, I think that they might be hard to find, especially in good condition, now days.

DaveInDenver

I've read that the 4 runner seats pretty much bolt right in and they are a lot more comfortabl, than the Tacoma seats. But, I think that they might be hard to find, especially in good condition, now days.
Those were from a '92 4Runner, but perhaps the 3rd gen 4Runner seats are similar and easier to find?

Clutch

<---Pass
Those were from a '92 4Runner, but perhaps the 3rd gen 4Runner seats are similar and easier to find?

Extremely hard to find, have been casually looking for years.

Had a set of seats out of an 90's era Acura (what model I have no idea) in my old '92, even the blue upholstery matched, darn near bolted right in, had to make one spacer. They sat low, like the Toyota seats.

DaveInDenver

I have read that Honda/Acura seats are very close matches for mini trucks and I would assume 1st gen Tacos.

I'm embarrassed to say I paid like $100 and a case of beer for those 4Runner seats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles