Cooper STT Pro vs ST Maxx vs Geolandar G003 vs Falken

Darwin

Explorer
I have had both the cooper STMaxx and now the AT3W by Falken. I had great luck with the Coopers on a heavy overloaded truck, got 50K out of them including 3 trips to Baja, and another through Guatemala and Belize. I don't care for the Falkens at all, but I have a different application so maybe they will work better for you than me. (I'm a lot heavier) The falken sidewall to me does not seem to be as strong as the Coopers, it's only two ply. You might consider the Yokohma X-At over the Falken, I believe it is a 3 ply sidewall.

nomad_games

I have had both the cooper STMaxx and now the AT3W by Falken. I had great luck with the Coopers on a heavy overloaded truck, got 50K out of them including 3 trips to Baja, and another through Guatemala and Belize. I don't care for the Falkens at all, but I have a different application so maybe they will work better for you than me. (I'm a lot heavier) The falken sidewall to me does not seem to be as strong as the Coopers, it's only two ply. You might consider the Yokohma X-At over the Falken, I believe it is a 3 ply sidewall.

what is it that you don't like about them?

IChaseCoues

I don't feel the sidewall is very stiff or strong. Not a big deal for most people, but I carry weight in a full size truck.
Not wanting to hijack the thread but for a heavy truck have you had problems with the sidewalks on the Falken?
I drive a heavy 9k ish truck and am needing a new set of tires. It will spend a lot of time exploring the west from Calgary to Baja Sur with plenty of dirt and off road but little mud and no rock crawling. Trying to decide between ST max and Falken in a 295/70/17. I've been running Nitti Trail grapplers for the last 5 years and loved them for NM but have moved to MT and need a tire that's much better in winter.

jadmt

ignore button user
Not wanting to hijack the thread but for a heavy truck have you had problems with the sidewalks on the Falken?
I drive a heavy 9k ish truck and am needing a new set of tires. It will spend a lot of time exploring the west from Calgary to Baja Sur with plenty of dirt and off road but little mud and no rock crawling. Trying to decide between ST max and Falken in a 295/70/17. I've been running Nitti Trail grapplers for the last 5 years and loved them for NM but have moved to MT and need a tire that's much better in winter.
I don't think Falken comes in that size for the at3w.

Darwin

Explorer
I haven't had any problems with the sidewall on the Falkens, but they don't give me the confidence I had with STMaxx, maybe it's all in my head but I know in Mexico, even on 'paved' roads I want a confident inspiring tire. I just think the Falkens were not the best choice for me. I would have liked to have tried the Yokohama to compare.

9k is lighter than me, fully loaded I think I am at like 11k

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I've run E load Blizzaks on my 2500hd gasser for two winters now. They're great and they still look new. They look unused compared to the goodyear summer setup that came on the truck. I'm careful not to drive on the Blizzaks if it's over 45F.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The Maxx has the STT's carcass. Just different, milder tread.

Sidewall is as thick and tough as the STT. Henceforth the Maxx's pricetag.

IChaseCoues

I haven't had any problems with the sidewall on the Falkens, but they don't give me the confidence I had with STMaxx, maybe it's all in my head but I know in Mexico, even on 'paved' roads I want a confident inspiring tire. I just think the Falkens were not the best choice for me. I would have liked to have tried the Yokohama to compare.

9k is lighter than me, fully loaded I think I am at like 11k
Thanks for the response. Sidewall strength is a big deal to me having ruined quite a few tires before switching to three ply tires on the rigs that I run off highway. I have the max on my suburban and love them. They do better than I thought in the snow and are the perfect tire for medium off roading and forest roads and have not let me down in the 25k miles on them a lot of which was dirt and gravel in NM and MT. I think they just might be the right choice for the Cummins as well.

nomad_games

yeah i'm not running a heavy rig. 2019 4runner, no armor yet but I plan to get sliders soon. Just me and my dog and maybe 300 pounds of gear. I actually wish some of these came in a C load in 285, as E's ride harsh on a 4runner.

jadmt

ignore button user
yeah i'm not running a heavy rig. 2019 4runner, no armor yet but I plan to get sliders soon. Just me and my dog and maybe 300 pounds of gear. I actually wish some of these came in a C load in 285, as E's ride harsh on a 4runner.

If you want to go with a pizza cutter which will be a little taller than the 285/70-17 check out the 255/80-17 it is e rated and is not harsh at all on my jkur which is close to the same weight. Also you can get the Falken 285/70-17 in C load.

plumber mike

Adventurer
yeah I think unless I get the Falkens, I will probably get dedicated snow tires for winter. I dunno where I'll be this winter, but most likely somewhere with real winter so I can ski.
Same stage name here?
Same dude?
It’s a small World Wide Web.
I hope you’re doing good man.

For year round use, I’m putting in a vote for the falkens. Best non snow snow tire I’ve run I think. Maybe a tie with the BFG Commercial TA traction.
I also like the Hankook ipike RW11 for a year round tire. A little more wear in the summer, but two good winters for our uses.
All my experience is in a 235/85r16. YMMV

Good to see ya. Look me up if your ever passing through again.

nomad_games

Same stage name here?
Same dude?
It’s a small World Wide Web.
I hope you’re doing good man.

For year round use, I’m putting in a vote for the falkens. Best non snow snow tire I’ve run I think. Maybe a tie with the BFG Commercial TA traction.
I also like the Hankook ipike RW11 for a year round tire. A little more wear in the summer, but two good winters for our uses.
All my experience is in a 235/85r16. YMMV

Good to see ya. Look me up if your ever passing through again.

hey mike. yeah it's me. I'm full nomad again. Left Denver in March. currently visiting my family on the east coast. headed back west in a week, give or take. prob headed out to Taos and then up through Durango/Ouray. Thinking about moving to Idaho or Montana for the summer for biking and offroading, maybe Jackson or SLC for the winter for skiing. how are you?

anyway, on the tires...I know I should get the Falkens for the price and year round function, but I want the STT Pros for the looks and offroading and just because I think they're cool. Might go in the middle and get the Maxx. I just got my SCS F5 wheels, haven't gotten my lift yet, been kinda indecisive about which one to get (Dobinsons, Toytec Aluma, or Eibach). I'm being a little materialistic about this build and want to get the cool ones. It's my first brand new vehicle ever in my life and I kinda want to have fun with it. Never liked the looks of the Falkens, really.

plumber mike

Adventurer
That’s awesome to hear you got to go home for a bit but are still mobile. Life is good here.

A Mastercraft Courser MXT has a similar look. They put out a decent tire for the money. I’ve not tried the MXT but the AXT’s I’ve got in a 315/75r16 have exceeded expectations. Traction and ride anyway. Longevity has yet to be determined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94