Cooper ST Maxx

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
That sounds like a great deal!

The three-ply side walls of the Coopers are burly.
If I recall correctly, Goodyear stopped making the DuraTrac with a three-ply side wall.
Two-ply sides just don't cut it IMO.

Cheers

1stDeuce

Explorer
I pretty much ONLY run Cooper tires at this point... I have Maxx's on my GMC 2500 and on my TJ. They've been great tires on both, with good all around performance and excellent durability. I am more than pleased with both sets.
That said, I will probably go a different direction on both vehicles when I replace them...

The downside of Maxx's on the Jeep is the heavy carcass... I want to try a lighter carcass tire. I'll probably go with a set of Mastercraft CXT's. I think they'll offer performance similar to the Maxx, but they're on the lighter 2 ply carcass. I'll be curious if I can detect a ride difference, but even if I can't, they're made by Cooper, and should be an excellent tire for my use.

On the truck, I really like the 255/80R17 size I'm running now, but I don't think I'm pushing the tires anywhere near the limit, and I'm not getting as much mileage from them as I might from an AT3... Since the AT3 isn't available in 255/80R17, I'd like to try a set of 285/75R17's and see how they do... They'll be a tight fit, but I think they'll be ok. If I chicken out on the larger size, I'll just go with 285/70R17's, but still in the AT3 XLT.
My idea is that I'll get better highway manners with the AT3's, and still have acceptable off road performance for how I use the truck. (Not much mud, mostly desert and snow.)

snowfiend

I pretty much ONLY run Cooper tires at this point... I have Maxx's on my GMC 2500 and on my TJ. They've been great tires on both, with good all around performance and excellent durability. I am more than pleased with both sets.
That said, I will probably go a different direction on both vehicles when I replace them...

The downside of Maxx's on the Jeep is the heavy carcass... I want to try a lighter carcass tire. I'll probably go with a set of Mastercraft CXT's. I think they'll offer performance similar to the Maxx, but they're on the lighter 2 ply carcass. I'll be curious if I can detect a ride difference, but even if I can't, they're made by Cooper, and should be an excellent tire for my use.

On the truck, I really like the 255/80R17 size I'm running now, but I don't think I'm pushing the tires anywhere near the limit, and I'm not getting as much mileage from them as I might from an AT3... Since the AT3 isn't available in 255/80R17, I'd like to try a set of 285/75R17's and see how they do... They'll be a tight fit, but I think they'll be ok. If I chicken out on the larger size, I'll just go with 285/70R17's, but still in the AT3 XLT.
My idea is that I'll get better highway manners with the AT3's, and still have acceptable off road performance for how I use the truck. (Not much mud, mostly desert and snow.)

I have the 285/75/17E AT3 XLT on my F150, replaced 285/70/17E AT3 non-XLT on my stock rims. They are definitely heavier and I can tell they are taller because of how the shift points changed. But they look and wear great in addition to their off road performance. I'm a fan.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Yokohama's released aX-AT's with a 3-ply durable sidewall. The reviews have been good.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I’m running the ST Maxx on both my 3500 (12,000 lbs) and my 100 series. They are a phenomenal tire. I abuse the hell out of mine and no issues. I get around 45,000 miles out of a set on my diesel, which is always being driven hard and loaded heavy. I may try the AT3 XLT next as 90% of the trucks life is pavement as I take the Land Cruiser or tow the 4Runner if much dirt is in the forecast. I’m just waiting to see a few more reviews on them, and if cost ends up being similar to the ST, I may just stick with them. You really can’t go wrong with the ST Maxx!

Frank Force

I will throw in another positive recommendation for the S/T Maxx. I have 265/70/17's on my '04 Jeep WJ. They approximately 60-65k miles on them, and have performed admirably everywhere that I've used them. Obviously most of the mileage is on paved roads, but they've also tackled the sand and mud of the NC Outer Banks, mountains of VA/NC, and the forest roads in FL. They've done very well in the snow and on ice, and decently well in rain. Mine have about 8/32" left, so they'll be up for replacement soon. I'm probably stepping up the STT Pro at this point.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I run the ST Maxx on my Grand Cherokee 255/75/17. Great tire but as others have said I am not sure I need them for east coast off roading....I will probably go with the AT3 4S when it comes times to change them out.

I just put the Cooper AT3 LTX on my 3500 and they are very quite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online