Cooper ST Maxx vs AT3

cr500taco

Adventurer
Been looking into these tires. Reading through the ST Maxx forum and it seems people are pretty happy with them. Seems like they are a great AT tire, all around. The only complaints I've read is that they are heavier than other AT tires and that the sidewall is stiff for airing down due to the 3 ply armortek. Read God reviews on the AT3 and that it's better than the BFG KOs, which I am on my third set of. My only concern of the AT3 is the lack of the 3 ply sidewall.

Thinking of getting the ST Maxx and I think the deciding factor for me between the Maxx and AT3 is the weight difference. According to Amazon (it's the only site that had all of the tires and weight), ST Maxx is only 3lbs heavier than the AT3 and BFG ATs. I included the BFG's in the comparison because that's what I am running, now. That doesn't sound much to me. Am I wrong?
It's going on a 1st Gen Tacoma and I'm running the stock 31"s. It's my DD, so I use it for work and weekend warrior.
Inputs are welcome.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I would really be honest and take a look at what you do with the vehicle...daily driving and gravel roads on the weekend I would go AT3. I am currently running the ST Maxx but I do not daily drive my Jeep....if I was I would have the AT3 or KO2.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I would really be honest and take a look at what you do with the vehicle...daily driving and gravel roads on the weekend I would go AT3. I am currently running the ST Maxx but I do not daily drive my Jeep....if I was I would have the AT3 or KO2.
I appreciate your input That was something I was considering. just curious as to what the reason would be?

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I appreciate your input That was something I was considering. just curious as to what the reason would be?

AT3/K02 is a better daily driving tire...lighter, better mpg, better siping, probably better in snow.

The ST Maxx is a great tire and compared to the DuraTrac for instance is a lot quieter. I went with the ST Maxx purely because I could get a 255/75/17C load tire in a 3ply. Tires are always a struggle...but realistically the AT like the AT3 will work for the majority of us in the USA.

But for someone like me who only puts 5000 miles a year on my Jeep the ST Maxx is perfect...

Last edited:

cr500taco

Adventurer
AT3/K02 is a better daily driving tire...lighter, better mpg, better siping, probably better in snow.

The ST Maxx is a great tire and compared to the DuraTrac for instance is a lot quieter. I went with the ST Maxx purely because I could get a 255/75/17C load tire in a 3ply. Tires are always a struggle...but realistically the AT like the AT3 will work for the majority of us in the USA.

But for someone like me who only puts 5000 miles a year on my Jeep the ST Maxx is perfect...
I will take that into consideration. I'm not concerned with them in snow, so much. Even though, I do take the occasional trip up to the mountains in the winter. I was reading in the ST Maxx thread that they did very well in the snow.

huntsonora

Explorer
Look at tread depot, they list the weight of the tires. WalMart is also now selling Cooper tires and they list the weights

My last 2 sets were ST Maxx and they are amazing but I'm thinking about going with the AT3's myself because hunting season is over and I don't need the ST Maxx for another 8 months

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I daily drove my ST MAXX for over 80,000kms. The only issue I had was the inherent pull. I am not sure if they have this issue remedied. I know it was more than I who had this issue as well. Also, the carcas on the Maxx is stiff. But they are smooth, quiet and last a long long time. at the end of their tread life they get choppy and loud, like any tire!

1Louder

Explorer
I have not been happy with the sidewalls on my AT/3's. Too thin and I have had a lot of wear where the outer black has been worn through and white shows up. Otherwise the tires have been great. 42,000 miles on them and still plenty of tread left so they are holding up to expectations in that department. My next tires will be the STT Pros which have a thicker sidewall.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I have not been happy with the sidewalls on my AT/3's. Too thin and I have had a lot of wear where the outer black has been worn through and white shows up. Otherwise the tires have been great. 42,000 miles on them and still plenty of tread left so they are holding up to expectations in that department. My next tires will be the STT Pros which have a thicker sidewall.
Thanks for the input. The sidewalls on the AT3 is my biggest concern. Thats why I was looking into the ST Maxx in the first place.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Thanks for your input. Discount tire is having a buy 2 get 2 free until the 28th. I am thinking what I might do is get the S/T Maxx for now and see how the fuel milage is and if I am not happy with the fuel mileage, then I'll get the AT3 and keep the S/T Maxx for when I might need them.

jonesw3

Adventurer
I just looked up discount tire and can't find that sale. Is that something at your local store cr500taco?

Alabama Overland

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I think you will be super happy with the maxx. The difference in milage is negligible if you keep your foot light.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I think you will be super happy with the maxx. The difference in milage is negligible if you keep your foot light.
I do have a light foot. looks like the ST Maxx is $120 more than the AT3 for the set and only $60 more with the buy 2 get 2 free deal. Thinking I will take advantage of the deal and get the more expensive tires.

jonesw3

Adventurer
I wish that tire store was in my neck of the woods. I would buy a set of st maxx today.

Alabama Overland

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles