Cooper S/T Maxx vs Toyo A/T 3

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Ended up pulling the trigger on At3s. Point S had a buy 3 get the 4th free going. Discount matched the price and got them for $262 installed/ea in 35x12.5r17. Tires should be here next week followed by a week long trip on them. Will post back with my thoughts.
Good price.

aer21

I have had both, the coopers on a 2015 Ram ecodiesel and the toyo at3 on my current 2018 ecodiesel. I never did care for the ride and sound of the cooper, they seemed like too tough of a tire for a 1/2 ton. To be fair though, when I got them I was told that most people that get them are 2500 and 3500 rigs towing trailers. I really like the Toyos though.

jadmt

ignore button user
the one thing that I wish the AT3 had was the more aggressive side wall biters. The old at2 in the extreme sizes gave you a choice one side was mild the other more aggressive. Tires are my vice I have spent so much on different tires over the last couple of years it is not funny. One day I will wear a set out...

GoinBoardin

Observer
I have these ATIII with about 6k miles on them. No snow yet but they're great. Little louder than the Falken at3w I removed but better in mud, wearing slower, and the 285/75R16 I'm running are 3 ply sidewall. I've had them on lots of dirt, rock, highway, little mud. Looking forward to trying them on snow. Local snow, soon, to put out these dang fires!

Frank Force

I have no experience with the Toyo, but I ran the S/T Maxx for 60k. I can not praise them enough for what they are. I currently run the General Grabber X3. The S/T's were quieter, and based upon my current wear on the X3's, will probably end up having lasted longer.

Jacobm

What could be the reason you run such high pressures on a load range E tire?

Tires of the same size are going to have the same size contact patch with the ground. To support more weight in the same area, the tire is going to experience more pressure. Higher rated tires are built to withstand more pressure safely. If you put more weight on a tire it's going to bulge under the weight until the internal pressure is increased. Hence why higher rated tires are only rated to hold that weight at certain pressures, as pressure decreases so does safe load capacity.

I'm sure it's more complicated than that but that's how it was explained to me. One thing to note is that higher load capacity is intended for highway speeds: that's why you can get away with deflating to as low as you can keep the tire on the bead and not have failures at trail speed (to a point). Running lower pressures on the highway can increase heat in the tires and lead to premature wear and/or failure. Anecdotal evidence abounds on both sides of the tire pressure/rating argument but that's essentially how it works.

Explorerinil

Observer
Ive ran several sets of Toyo at 2 tires in the past and love them, my only compliant is they would hold onto the Illinois clay when wet and turn into giant slicks. They don’t seam to release the mud well, I know they are an AT tire but they seamed to do really bad in that condition. After running Toyos for years and loving them, I’m giving the AT3W falken a try, they seam to release mud allot better than the AT2 toyo. Regardless, let us know how you like your new tires.

bookem

I've had the ST Maxx on my 4dr wrangler for about 60k and they are just about due for a change. They have been great tires in all weather conditions especially snow and rain. Never had any issues in mud or wet rock crawling. My only problem was severe cupping from not rotating like I should. They became very loud! after rotating, the cupping disappeared and the road noise went back down. I had 295/70 17 and now I'm looking to move up to 35's. Anyone have any pictures of the toyo in 35 x 11.5 ? Do they look skinny?

MR. ED

Observer
I’ve been running xt maxx for years. Never noticed the noise until my current set. Holy moly I can hardly stand it anymore. They’re about half way gone and I’m going to have to try really hard to make it to the end. Next set will be the at3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles