Cooper S/T Maxx vs Toyo A/T 3

I have recently had both. The ST Maxx in 315/70-17 and the Toyo AT3 in 35x11.5-17. both on the same jeep (2018 jeep 4 door recon edition). I have actually had several sets of ST Maxx's in the following sizes 295/70-17, 285/75-17 (2 pairs in this size) and most recently 315/70-17. All started off quiet but around 10,000 miles would start howling. I rotate every 2500 miles or so. All showed perfect wear. The Toyo AT3 was louder than the ST Maxx's from the get go but not enough miles to know if it will continue to get louder or will stay the same.. I also run Falken at3w 255/80-17 on the same jeep and those are by far the quietest of the 3. Might want to consider a set of those as well. Joe Bacal has a couple videos out where he talks about being on the design team for the Toyo AT3 and yet he rates the AT3w slightly better so that tells you something. All of them are good tires tho. I live in Montana so see plenty of all types of conditions. The Falkens are the best winter tires I have ever had and I have been driving since the early 70's and play in the snow all the time.
This legit makes no sense. Theres no way the AT3 should be louder than the ST maxx. Obviously nothing is apples to apples when it comes to aggressive vs noise as we have MTs that are not as loud as hybrids etc but this makes no sense to me nor does it reflect what others are saying.

jadmt

ignore button user
This legit makes no sense. Theres no way the AT3 should be louder than the ST maxx. Obviously nothing is apples to apples when it comes to aggressive vs noise as we have MTs that are not as loud as hybrids etc but this makes no sense to me nor does it reflect what others are saying.
I can only report my experiences. I have no reason to lie about it. i have had several st maxx's in various sizes but only one set of Toyo at3's and that is the ones I posted a photo of. I currently am running Toyo R/T and they are quiet and very smooth for an E rated tire.

I can only report my experiences. I have no reason to lie about it. i have had several st maxx's in various sizes but only one set of Toyo at3's and that is the ones I posted a photo of. I currently am running Toyo R/T and they are quiet and very smooth for an E rated tire.
And you say the AT3s are also more noisy than the RTs?

jadmt

ignore button user
And you say the AT3s are also more noisy than the RTs?
That is my experience i have had two sets of R/T’s in 35/12.5-17 one set on a jeep rubicons 2 door and 4 door and currently on my power wagon. I can only vouch for my tire experiences not anyone else‘s. Perhaps your experience would be completely different.

That is my experience i have had two sets of R/T’s in 35/12.5-17 one set on a jeep rubicons 2 door and 4 door and currently on my power wagon. I can only vouch for my tire experiences not anyone else‘s. Perhaps your experience would be completely different.
Yeah I totally get it, im not saying you're intentionally lying, but your experience is clearly a fluke or since this is a very subjective thing, maybe at that period of time you felt it was really loud but it actually wasn't.. IDK. The RT and the AT3 are both Toyo.. they have their own rating which says that the RT has more noise... so if your AT3s were that loud something was wrong IMO

Grassland

Remember too that certain tread sizes could be entirely different sound. Take an St Maxx in 255/80R17 and 35x12.5,R17 and yeah it's the same tread pattern but the voids and blocks aren't the same physical size, and that can affect sound.
Look at the Toyo at2 even and compare different sizes and u see the voids are larger etc, on certain sizes compared to others and that's not even considering they had P, LT and Xtreme tread patterns.

jadmt

ignore button user
How was your experience so far? Have you tried to use it on an off-road adventure?
I only had them in that size for a week and I swapped them for 285/75-17 ST Maxx's (I actually ran them on my 2 door and this jeep) and did a lot of offroading with them. I then ended up going with 315/70-17 and did a lot of offroading. I have had both Toyos in AT2 and R/T's all over Moab and on the Rubicon trail and dusy ershim. I have had ST Maxx's all over Moab and all over Colorado and those as well as several other tires all over Montana.

Remember too that certain tread sizes could be entirely different sound. Take an St Maxx in 255/80R17 and 35x12.5,R17 and yeah it's the same tread pattern but the voids and blocks aren't the same physical size, and that can affect sound.
Look at the Toyo at2 even and compare different sizes and u see the voids are larger etc, on certain sizes compared to others and that's not even considering they had P, LT and Xtreme tread patterns.
Totally agree. Thats why im saying apples to apples if the AT3 for him was really louder than the ST maxx and RT then something is wrong IMO. Both of those tires objectively should be less loud based on what the manufacture says. Also some tires just are unlucko, we see this all the time with other aspects, why cant noise be something QC wise?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Good point. The smaller tire has a smaller contact patch so in any tire it's going to be quieter than it's larger version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz