Cooper S/T Maxx vs Toyo A/T 3

Wompom

Another tire thread.
Been scratching my head trying to decide between the two.
looking for any real world input on both.
Currently working through the 60 page st maxx thread.
Considerations -
  • Going on a 96 80 series in 315/75r16 unless i jump to a 17" which will be a similar 35 size.
  • Toyos have a buy 3 get the 4th free at point s tire right now, which makes them cheaper than the coopers but not by a ton.
  • I'm more drawn to the S/T maxx, but the AT3 may serve me better.
  • Use - Highway, exploring (think utah dirt roads and wheeling to PNW wet/snow/summers, Seattle is home). Will see good bit of snow going up to ski often, but also have a dedicated winter subaru that will mostly be doing the winter driving. Cruiser DD's occasionally, but also gets wheeled and bounced off rocks.
  • weight of them is similar - heavy - not concerned since i have a turbo on my cruiser
The S/T maxx is tried and trued. Not a winter tire but has decent winter reviews. good treadlife, etc.

New Toyo AT3 is 3 peak winter rated, which is appealing. Not sure how people have really liked these and reviews are minimal at best so far.

Looking for peoples thoughts on either. Leaning towards the toyos due to the deal on them currently, but don't want to regret not buying the ST maxx's.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have recently had both. The ST Maxx in 315/70-17 and the Toyo AT3 in 35x11.5-17. both on the same jeep (2018 jeep 4 door recon edition). I have actually had several sets of ST Maxx's in the following sizes 295/70-17, 285/75-17 (2 pairs in this size) and most recently 315/70-17. All started off quiet but around 10,000 miles would start howling. I rotate every 2500 miles or so. All showed perfect wear. The Toyo AT3 was louder than the ST Maxx's from the get go but not enough miles to know if it will continue to get louder or will stay the same.. I also run Falken at3w 255/80-17 on the same jeep and those are by far the quietest of the 3. Might want to consider a set of those as well. Joe Bacal has a couple videos out where he talks about being on the design team for the Toyo AT3 and yet he rates the AT3w slightly better so that tells you something. All of them are good tires tho. I live in Montana so see plenty of all types of conditions. The Falkens are the best winter tires I have ever had and I have been driving since the early 70's and play in the snow all the time.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
I own ST mAXX on my Land Rover LR3. It all started fairly OK, with typical road noise, aa it should be expected from hybrid AT/MT tire. After a 5-10 K miles it started to be a bit more noisy and harsher, but now it is downright ridicules, how much road noise these things produce.I think I have done more than 30 000 miles on them, from off roading to overlanding trips East to West, Moab, Wyoming, Colorado and much more, but around town and on highway they are just turned way too noisy, worst that my friends Disco 1 on 35 inch KM2's.
There is plenty of tire left, 13.5 mm out of original 19 and these tires are tough as nails, so if you can go past the road noise, they are something to consider for the long run.

Last edited:

Wompom

I have recently had both. The ST Maxx in 315/70-17 and the Toyo AT3 in 35x11.5-17. both on the same jeep (2018 jeep 4 door recon edition). I have actually had several sets of ST Maxx's in the following sizes 295/70-17, 285/75-17 (2 pairs in this size) and most recently 315/70-17. All started off quiet but around 10,000 miles would start howling. I rotate every 2500 miles or so. All showed perfect wear. The Toyo AT3 was louder than the ST Maxx's from the get go but not enough miles to know if it will continue to get louder or will stay the same.. I also run Falken at3w 255/80-17 on the same jeep and those are by far the quietest of the 3. Might want to consider a set of those as well. Joe Bacal has a couple videos out where he talks about being on the design team for the Toyo AT3 and yet he rates the AT3w slightly better so that tells you something. All of them are good tires tho. I live in Montana so see plenty of all types of conditions. The Falkens are the best winter tires I have ever had and I have been driving since the early 70's and play in the snow all the time.
Do you think the falkens being a bit narrower assist in you liking them better in the winter?
I had looked into the at3w for a bit but it didn't strike too high on my list for some reason. Funny how that happens.

Appreciate all the input from everyone so far.
Hearing more negatives on the ST maxx being loud than i was expecting.

jadmt

ignore button user
Do you think the falkens being a bit narrower assist in you liking them better in the winter?
I had looked into the at3w for a bit but it didn't strike too high on my list for some reason. Funny how that happens.

Appreciate all the input from everyone so far.
Hearing more negatives on the ST maxx being loud than i was expecting.

read thru the comments.

alanymarce

I could write a longer post, however the short version is:

We evaluated every AT we could about a decade ago, and rejected the Coopers in the first cut, based on user reviews and technical specifications. We may have been mistaken, and have (for obvious reasons) no personal experience with them.

However we've progressively tried Dunlop Grand Trek, Pirelli Scorpion, BF Goodrich, and Geolandar; and finally have ended up with Toyos, which are now our preferred tyre based on highway performance, unsurfaced road performance, "off road" performance, and price. They've been excellent.

Wompom

I could write a longer post, however the short version is:

We evaluated every AT we could about a decade ago, and rejected the Coopers in the first cut, based on user reviews and technical specifications. We may have been mistaken, and have (for obvious reasons) no personal experience with them.

However we've progressively tried Dunlop Grand Trek, Pirelli Scorpion, BF Goodrich, and Geolandar; and finally have ended up with Toyos, which are now our preferred tyre based on highway performance, unsurfaced road performance, "off road" performance, and price. They've been excellent.
I think i'm gonna go with the toyos due to newer reviews and the fact that they're significantly cheaper than the coopers in a 35/12.5/17
Its crazy to me to have so many good recommendations for the coopers but so many bad popping up recently. Im wondering if something changed.
It was always billed to me as the do all tire and i hadn't really seen much negative til i started digging deeper.
Still hard to argue with a lot of the positive reviews i've read.

jadmt

ignore button user
I think i'm gonna go with the toyos due to newer reviews and the fact that they're significantly cheaper than the coopers in a 35/12.5/17
Its crazy to me to have so many good recommendations for the coopers but so many bad popping up recently. Im wondering if something changed.
It was always billed to me as the do all tire and i hadn't really seen much negative til i started digging deeper.
Still hard to argue with a lot of the positive reviews i've read.
don't get me wrong it is an awesome tire and I have done the Rubicon trail, dusy ershim and almost all the moab trails as well as montana trails. does well in all conditions and wears well. My only complaint is it gets loud. i would not hesitate to run them again and in fact I am in the market for a set of bigger tires for my new power wagon and they are in the running.

jadmt

ignore button user
35/11.5-17 c rated. I would think 35/12.5-17 e rated would be 3 ply as well. The st maxx 315/70-17 is d rated

Wompom

Ended up pulling the trigger on At3s. Point S had a buy 3 get the 4th free going. Discount matched the price and got them for $262 installed/ea in 35x12.5r17. Tires should be here next week followed by a week long trip on them. Will post back with my thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne