Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX inflation help

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
.Hi Team.
Anybody can suggest a proper tire pressure with Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX on LR3 ? Tires are 265/60/18 E rated.
I put 39 in front and 43 in the back, took a quick drive on the highway and I feel all over the place with noticeable sway. Should I go up to 45 on both axles or experiment with different inflation thresholds ?I am little overweight as I just put back RS rock sliders and T case protection plate. Please advise

jadmt

ignore button user
holy crap 39 and 43. this is an e rated tire drop it down to 32 and enjoy the ride. Unless LR3's weight 7000lbs no need to run that much. I have a fully loaded wrangler 4 door and run 28lbs with e rated st maxx's.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
I have tried LR gem recommendations per axle which is 33 42 respectively, trust me..I could not keep my truck in one lane, felt all over the place. With rock sliders, bottom plates, roof rack, tools and recovery gear I am well over 6500 lbs.

Gs WK2

Look up LT load inflation tables for you weight and take it from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimBiram

Adventurer
.Hi Team.
Anybody can suggest a proper tire pressure with Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX on LR3 ? Tires are 265/60/18 E rated.
I put 39 in front and 43 in the back, took a quick drive on the highway and I feel all over the place with noticeable sway. Should I go up to 45 on both axles or experiment with different inflation thresholds ?I am little overweight as I just put back RS rock sliders and T case protection plate. Please advise

I have the Cooper Zeon LTZ and I have to run them about 2 lbs higher than factory...usually 38/44 takes out the sway and helps with mileage. Off-road I usually drop 5-7 lbs to around 30-32 all around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trecash6850

I run 45 in front and 50 in the rear and find the ride and handling fine. They've got about 25k miles on them and are wearing nice and even my truck is exceptionally heavily loaded at around 8k pounds.
2e5d949e43157f8eeb222afd9441a137.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Good info, thanks !
I actually inflated front to 43 and rear to 45 but still find it a little to soft front wise, will experiment with 45 48 later. I find that the more I inflate the more oily these tires are, weird... but with all the plates underneath it is probably expected..

Jwestpro

Explorer
holy crap 39 and 43. this is an e rated tire drop it down to 32 and enjoy the ride. Unless LR3's weight 7000lbs no need to run that much. I have a fully loaded wrangler 4 door and run 28lbs with e rated st maxx's.

WRONG to suggest this. Do you know what an lr3 weighs in factory base format? It's 6000 lbs with just one driver and fluids, nothing else. Mine is 8000 lbs on some trips. 7k most of the time.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I have tried LR gem recommendations per axle which is 33 42 respectively, trust me..I could not keep my truck in one lane, felt all over the place. With rock sliders, bottom plates, roof rack, tools and recovery gear I am well over 6500 lbs.

Way too low. You should'v mentioned your build weight to start with. Yes, at 6500+, you need at least upper 40's in the tires. I run the 275/65-18 BFG AT KO2 at no less than 46 but up to 52 fully loaded. On the trail I've been testing a 34" BFG KM2 at 26 psi which is just about perfect so far but mine weighs a bit more than yours. I have up to 52 gallons fuel, sliders that are 100 lbs each, rack and awning that is almost 100lbs, plates, bumpers, recovery gear, etc.

An example though is that on my BMW I tried a conti tire that felt like crap but the replacement pirelli run flat removed all the sway. The point is that not all E tires will have the same actual side wall stiffness. I found the Goodyear duratrac to feel a bit of sway while BFG did not.

Also, your chosen tire may actually be engineered to have more sidewall flex for trail use. Though I don't find my km2 to be bad at 48 psi so it's probably mostly the psi you need to increase.

Depending on how fat Victory is loaded up for the trip to the trails, I run around 45psi in my 17" KM2s for the freeway! Amazingly enough, the sidewall that sucks up all the terrain so nicely off the trails, handles really good at heavy weight on the freeway and higher PSI.

Then I air waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy down when I get to the dirt/gravel and even further in the rocks! I really need to invest in onboard air!

Just my two cents!

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Sorry..have been out with friends for the weekend... offloading, camping and cooking. Yes..I have increased a pressure in front to 45 and back to 49. That helped a lot with all the weight that I carry.It is almost perfect.I don't think I aired down properly as I went only 24 psi, still experimenting with that. Thanks.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
I called Cooper tech last year,when I got these tires, but they were not much help. Gave them an weight per axle and more or less total load, but they could not recommend nothing specific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier