Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

5616844087_61d710d59b.jpg

5617425180_9b9339cac0.jpg

5617427376_37d205e6b9.jpg

There they are, fresh off the truck. Coopers new S/T Maxx in a 285/75r16.
First impression:
They are huge! Well, compared to the 255s they look huge.....I'm sure they'll fit, snugly.
They are heavy! 61 lbs each!

I'm digging the tread pattern, the siping, and the ArmorTec sidewall (which the ST did not have)

Measurements:
Tread is about 9 1/4" wide (that's about 2" wider than the 255 ST)

Total height is actually 32.5" and right now they are taller than my 255s by about an inch (but they have very little tread left)

Tread depth is right a 19/32.

I hope I like these as well as the original ST, which proved to be an excellent and true all terrain tire.....

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Nice James! I was looking at a set down at Fran's tires shop and was diggin' on them, more so when Fran said they were a little cheaper than even the Deans. I'm eagerly awaiting a chance to see them at work. I also like the sidewall, should work well on the beach aired down. These will probably be my next set of tires depending on your reviews. Are you going to have to adjust the Donahoes on the Tundra to clear them?

The ST Maxx's tread looks, to my eye, like a blend of the old Sts and the Dean MTs like I've been running. I did like the more pronounced center channel on the STs better, than the broken version on the Maxx.

5617427376_37d205e6b9.jpg
100_2808a.jpg

ST Maxx.......................................................................................Dean Mud Terrian

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I'm liking the new tread pattern. Curious what the road noise will be. Please keep us up to date.

Jack

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them. What is the width of the rims you are mounting them on?

They're going on my old rusty, crusty steel Wheelers in the 16x8" size

Haggis said:
The ST Maxx's tread looks, to my eye, like a blend of the old Sts and the Dean MTs like I've been running. I did like the more pronounced center channel on the STs better, than the broken version on the Maxx.

Are you going to have to adjust the Donahoes on the Tundra to clear them?

Not for the road....taking out part of the fender liner and mashing the pinchweld helped there. I crossed it up a little at home today and I will have to trim more of the flare at the back.....it's going to touch there for sure. I may also have to trim the front of the flare a bit too, it's mighty close. I might not have to raise it at all off road! When I first saw them off the UPS truck I thought sure I was going to have to raise it more! I'm quite relieved!

I think it has a little Pro Comp Xtreme MT thrown in there too. I like the old STs full center channel also, but these should be OK....

How much is Fran asking for a set?

locrwln said:
Curious what the road noise will be.

What road noise?! These are much quieter on the road than the original ST! I couldn't believe when I drove them for the first time today....super quiet, maybe on par with a BFG AT, or a Fun Country II (but really it's been so long since I've heard either on my truck the only thing I can truly compare it to is the 255/85 ST)

These have a slightly higher pitch than the ST but the overall volume is less. I'm diggin'

before
3090277886_c5f0bb93de.jpg

after
5619835863_1a828695a7.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I'm diggin' the new treads! Queens Elizabeth's Revenge sportin' a bit more attitude.

Fran was asking $179 (mounted, balanced and rolling out the lot on the truck) for the ST Maxxs, $185 for the Deans. I'm a little worried about the quieter noise level as I've always equated road noise with the amount of available void a tire has to offer, but we have you to test 'em out for us. Now go find some muck and report back! :truck:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...

What road noise?! These are much quieter on the road than the original ST! I couldn't believe when I drove them for the first time today....super quiet, maybe on par with a BFG AT, or a Fun Country II (but really it's been so long since I've heard either on my truck the only thing I can truly compare it to is the 255/85 ST)

These have a slightly higher pitch than the ST but the overall volume is less. I'm diggin'

snip...

x3 on the old S/T's center lug void, I have always preferred it to its cousin, the Dean SXT MT. The old S/T was very appealing to the eye as you can see what it can do with some goo... As noted by Haggis, noise & void often relates to traction in the muck. How much noise will we tolerate for less stuck in more muck with our truck? :sombrero: Personally I'm preferring a slightly quieter traction tire these days if I can get it, and I can with the Cepek FCII.

Since I've recently gone from the ******** Cepek Fun Country II 285/75 to Cooper S/T 255/85 a couple times (including this afternoon), I will again comment that the S/Ts are slightly louder than the FCII, but both have some lug noise.

Surely all manufacturers are working hard to reduce noise when designing new traction tires. The center void ratio of the S/T Maxx looks like it would be quieter.

Your price for the new S/T Maxx in PA sounds terrific Haggis. Today I received a quote from my small Cooper dealer in NV for the S/T Maxx in LT285/75R16E. I was told they are on back order and $210.00 each plus $2.36 FET (until the next price increase).

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
The noise level surprised me a lot. There is a lot of void there and I really thought they were going to be louder than they are.

At $179 I'd be tempted to buy them now and hang on to them until you need them Haggis......prices down here were astronomical!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Your price for the new S/T Maxx in PA sounds terrific Haggis.

At $179 I'd be tempted to buy them now and hang on to them until you need them Haggis......prices down here were astronomical!

I just got done checking prices online. Holy Crap! I guess it pays to have a good buddy with a small tire shop. I might just go ahead and have Fran sit aside a set for me.

I originally was going to go back to the FC IIs for the Tundra as they are better in the snow than the Deans (not that they're bad, just not as good as the DCs) until I started pricing them. Ouch! I would rather wait and get some more feedback from James (65wagon that is) on how these new tires preform before letting the moths out of my wallet, but at this price I might be foolish to wait the 4 or 5 months when I was going to actually buy new meats.

OBTW...you want me to set aside one of my take-offs for you to use as a spare Jimbo?

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Yeah, I was already going to ask you for that:elkgrin:. I figured the 255 spare was close enough til you were ready for new tires. You should be down here pricing tires....try to keep a straight face when someone says that'll be 250 a tire - I can get BFGs cheaper!

If you're waiting for a snow report I don't recommend holding your breath....it may be a while.....

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I just got done checking prices online. Holy Crap! I guess it pays to have a good buddy with a small tire shop. I might just go ahead and have Fran sit aside a set for me.

I originally was going to go back to the FC IIs for the Tundra as they are better in the snow than the Deans (not that they're bad, just not as good as the DCs) until I started pricing them. Ouch! snip....

Well I would love to see more people buy and run the FCII as I think they are a terrific tread design, great wear and great in winter (as you know). If you have somewhere that will price match or you don't mind buying online, onlinetires.com still has the FCII in 285/75 for a mere $175.88.

But it's always nice to try some new treads. I'm pretty confident that just like gas, tires prices are going to be increasing and will be expensive for a while :(

Last edited:

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj5LK_L3DgE"]YouTube - Cooper Tire Discovery S/T Maxx and Discovery A/T3[/ame]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles