Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I am at 40k on my STmaxx tires, and they will go to 50k easily before needing to be replaced. This is a full size truck with a heavy slide in camper on 95% of the miles including baja, and central america

That is awesome to hear. They have been wearing great for me as well, but I wasn't sure just how many miles I would get out of them.
Jack

Fritzoc

Observer
Down to what tread depth would you go on the ST MAXX tires for off road driving? Yes , I realize that's tough to answer. Weather conditions, trail difficulty. Type of vehicle (Jeep JKU - quite heavy). Etc. not a rock crawler- obviously. Mostly "easy" trails on the easy-medium-hard spectrum. I've got 42,000 miles on them now. Rotate all five tires at each oil change. Thanks for the general recommendations. Plan to replace with the same tires and size when the time comes.

Robert Bills

Explorer
4/32", but perhaps a bit more if a difficult trail is planned in the immediate future where tread depth could mean the difference between a fun day and a very bad experience.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Minimum legal is 2/32", which is too thin.

My peference is not less than 6-8/32". If they have more, like 10/32", they'll be easier to sell to help fund the next new set. Some states won't allow you to proceed 'during winter conditions' with less than 6/32" (at least that's on paper), meaning that the M+S rating is no longer good in ther eyes. Makes perfect sense to me.

I noticed pretty marginal performace several years ago with about 6-8/32", and decided to try to avoid going lower on my rigs that I use for anything other than running down the highway. More is better, and one reason I like brands/designs that give customers more tread to start.

That said, my wife's car has ridiculously low tread now, and needs a set ASAP!

Fritzoc

Observer
Thanks. I'm at 9/32 all around. The spare is better even though it was supposed to be rotated in each time. Must not have happened each time. I know it was done most of the time. I'll run them until next spring, only rotating the current four on the ground, and then get 4 new and keep the best one as the spare. Thx again.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Thanks. I'm at 9/32 all around. The spare is better even though it was supposed to be rotated in each time. Must not have happened each time. I know it was done most of the time. I'll run them until next spring, only rotating the current four on the ground, and then get 4 new and keep the best one as the spare. Thx again.

Welcome :)

kmacafee

Adventurer
Just ordered my second set. The current set has about 52,000 miles on them mounted on a 2012 Tacoma with FWC. Highway and many miles of offroad, and many air down and air up cycles. They are getting a bit noisy and they have about 4/32 left.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Just ordered my second set. The current set has about 52,000 miles on them mounted on a 2012 Tacoma with FWC. Highway and many miles of offroad, and many air down and air up cycles. They are getting a bit noisy and they have about 4/32 left.

Sounds like fantastic wear!

Still love these tires, Have them on two different 4wd machine and our camper trailer. Will continue to buy them until Cooper stops making them. Using Dyna Bead brand balance beads and think it's the perfect combination for my needs.

E3ge1Wf.jpg

sJikLnr.jpg

Cds4U7h.jpg

SpuQOBE.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Still love these tires, Have them on two different 4wd machine and our camper trailer. Will continue to buy them until Cooper stops making them. Using Dyna Bead brand balance beads and think it's the perfect combination for my needs.

E3ge1Wf.jpg

sJikLnr.jpg

Cds4U7h.jpg

SpuQOBE.jpg

I love the Taco, who makes that shell? I love the LC too, what year is it?

JKU87

Adventurer
6f604d06cac1349fec352a628118a4a6.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've posted in this thread before as I had these tires on my JKU and steer everyone I know towards the ST Maxx when they're in the market for new rubber.

My JKU was replaced by a 100 Series back in June which just got fitted with some 275s. I'll be getting these tires until Cooper stops producing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Some great pictures in this thread!

Loving all these great shots. :beer:

Here's the Jeep aired down to about 20psi (about 10K miles on the tires)
and the Scout "Mall Crawler" poser shot (about 10 miles on the tires... lol)
Same 315/70R 17 size on both rigs

Other than the flat-spotting first thing in the morning, I really like these tires. They are on the very short list for the truck. :)
I got into some pretty nasty rock sections that had previously put a nice tear in the BFG KM2s. No issues with the Coopers going through the same areas.
KM & KM2s have been my Go-To tire for a few decades for off road biased rigs.
I've had the original KOs on a couple of Tundras, and a Tacoma. I liked those tires as well.
Overall for a balanced on-off road tire, the S/T Maxx is pretty confidence inspiring. :)

Attachments

• Deer-Valley-Trail.jpg
    Deer-Valley-Trail.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 41
  • City-boy_Poser.jpg
    City-boy_Poser.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 41

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles