Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
answer to #5 is yes on the 3ply....I am running the exact same tire size on my Jeep GC CRD....go ST Maxx...it is a great on road tire and will erase the off road worry when out having fun. Plus it looks a lot cooler than the AT3....remember though the Maxx does not have the snowflake symbol..if that is important.

Kind of funny that it's lacking the snowflake symbol considering I have only heard good things about ST Maxx handling in snow and winter conditions. Pretty sure WyoCherokee gave as good of a review on their winter performance as anybody

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
Thanks for this thread all! First post here...and apologies in advance for the novella by a newb :D I just wanted to exhaust my tire research before dropping a chunk of cash down so your input is valued!

I've been researching tires for the past two months and have put countless hours into narrowing down tire choice for our 5th gen 4Runner. I put together an excel spreadsheet comparing various brands of AT tires by gathering spec data and reading user comments. After staring at this for days and just finishing getting through 84 pages of this thread, it's come down to the Cooper AT3 (LT265/70/17) and ST MAXX (LT255/75/17) both in load range C. However I'm flipping back and forth on what is the "logical" decision here. The last week I've been more and more sold on the ST MAXX.

Hoping to get some input and opinions based on all of your experiences.

Some background/context. I have only done mild off road travels but plan to do more challenging terrain in the future for longer periods. The 4Runner is stock as it sits and I'm still trying to burn off the factory Bridgestones that have been terrifying since day one on wet pavement. The stockers only see pavement, gravel, and dirt roads. Otherwise for winter I'm running Yoko Geolandar I/T GO72 with about one season left on them so not too concerned about winter performance for what I'm looking at now. Other plans for the near future is potentially upgrading to Bilstein 5100's and mild lift (1.75/1”).

Another factor to consider is that we don't drive the 4Runner a lot only putting on average 10,000 kms a year (approx. 6200mi). Other than a few shorter trips throughout the week, it really is used as our weekender, going camping/up to the cottage on dirt and gravel roads, and a few road trips throughout the year. We're quite loaded during these excursions and find the handling of stock suspension awfully soft (hence the desire for 5100s) and the tire performance unpredictable and generally meh (on pavement…they are definitely not well suited to dirt and gravel). There are also numerous trails within an hour or two that I want to start exploring so want something reliable especially when trucking around the family. To be honest though the truck sees more pavement now than dirt but I want to change that.

A few factors and questions remain and so want to throw some out for discussion:

1. Given my aspirations for more travel off road and a good reliable all round performing tire on/off road are my choices suitable? My logical self says the AT3 is the better choice however I've been reading all these reviews about the surprisingly great performance and positive traits of the ST MAXX.
if you want to venture off highway more....go for the MAXX
2. Handling-wise on pavement it looks like the AT3 might be the “better” choice at the expense of durability (AT3 2ply) and off road performance. Not to say the AT3 doesn't perform well off road but I feel I'd be a little more anxious about hitting the dirt especially given my limited experience and would have to finesse it through a little more. One major pro of the AT3 is additional siping (reportedly full depth of lugs) for wet conditions but reviews on here suggest ST MAXX is also adequate…hopefully more than my stock tires. Is the siping full depth for the MAXX too?
Correct, It is the better highway comparing against the maxx, but on gravel roads and mild trails, the AT3 is no slouch. the AT3 does have a 55k mile warranty while the maxx does not. The siping is about 3/4 depth. by the time you get t othe wear bars, it is essentially gone.

3. AT3 is 47lbs vs ST MAXX 52lbs (as weighed by another member on here for the size I'm looking at). Either one is considerably heavier than the stock Bridgestones (approx. 38lbs) and I'm concerned about the negative impacts of weight, primarily handling, a reduction in stopping distance, and lastly fuel efficiency. For the latter, consider again we don't put many miles on this so not a huge concern in our situation but still want to factor it in.

Should I be concerned over the weight? Is this a major safety concern? My wife will also be driving this (she is a fantastic driver for the record) so want to ensure we are both comfortable with the change.
on my Cherokee i ran 265/75/16 maxx's in 10 ply.....still got 18mpg highway. wasnt a big deal.

4. Cost difference between the two is $30. Cheapest I've found up here is $250 AT3 and $280 for the ST MAXX (not mounted/balanced) and they will Road Force balance for $25 a piece.
yo uare basically paying for the tougher sidewall(worth it in my book)

5. Does the C load range of ST MAXX still have the 3 ply Armor-Tek3?
Yes, Same carcass

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

answer to #5 is yes on the 3ply....I am running the exact same tire size on my Jeep GC CRD....go ST Maxx...it is a great on road tire and will erase the off road worry when out having fun. Plus it looks a lot cooler than the AT3....remember though the Maxx does not have the snowflake symbol..if that is important.
The symbol only really matters when it comes to certain states winter tire regulations (oregon requires "snow traction tires, or chains"(snowflake symbol) on some passes)
Kind of funny that it's lacking the snowflake symbol considering I have only heard good things about ST Maxx handling in snow and winter conditions. Pretty sure WyoCherokee gave as good of a review on their winter performance as anybody
after running both tires on the same vehicle...i am more inclined to run the MAXX, non studded for a year round tire on a vehicle that sees off road as opposed to the at3. remember once you stud a tire....you lose traction in rock and gravel. the AT3 should be reserved for a vehicle that sees mostly highway with summer time ventures on gravel roads and lots of winter miles(due to the siping, it will handle icy conditions much better than the maxx)

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
As a self-admitted "newb" I would say that you're not likely to be able to tell much of a difference between the two tires. Either one will suit your needs very well, but if you're going to be sticking to the more street, snow, & light-duty offroad side of the spectrum, I'd recommend the AT3; if you're going to be pushing the limits of your tires on more punishing offroad terrain, you can't go wrong with the additional offroad traction and heavier-duty construction of the ST-MAXX.

kayadog

Adventurer
I have no experience with the ST Maxx but I was underwhelmed with the AT3 in every way but treadwear, which has been very good. Mine are loud and rough for a p rated all terrain tire and all 4 developed slow leaks. I would take the Hankook ATM all day over the AT3 or look at the Falken AT3W.

Telluric

Thanks all for your responses!

SSF556 - good to know still 3 ply in C rated. Also agree the MAXX looks amazing!

WyoCherokee - I do want to venture off highway more so my gut is saying ST MAXX will give more confidence in a mixture of off road conditions and will hold up but still provide decent performance on the pavement.

As for AT3 55k warranty I'm not too concerned given the tires will be old and weathered enough to replace as we don't put enough miles on it when mounted (happening now in fact to my Yoko Geolandar's as discovered the other day). Cost is so minimal between the two tires I feel like it's buying insurance and piece of mind for what I want to do with the tires...again not discounting the AT3 because they are still top of list. As others have said, if only they offered AT3 with Armor-Tek3 construction...

The tire I choose will still see a lot of long distance highway but not regularly, once every couple weeks for 200-400km on average and mostly through spring/summer/fall. If this was a true daily driver, I would be more inclined to jump on the AT3.

RubiconGeoff - Indeed I'm a newb to ExPo and overlanding in its true form but am not completely inexperienced to this tire thing ;) I had Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's on my 3rd gen Toyota pickup which were generally a great tire but would have preferred a slightly more "grippy" tread in loose dirt, stretches of shallow mud and the variable conditions unpaved backroads present...perhaps my truck was just old and had little weight in the back :eek:. I have also driven a few full size pickups (company Chevs and Dodge) all with different mild-treaded A/T tires on dirt/gravel secondary and tertiary forest access roads and know what I wouldn't put on my rig now. But from the sounds of it you're saying I can't really lose with either tire here and that they will both meet my needs. However in the scenarios you presented, I do see myself occasionally in situations that will push the tires to their limit and capabilities and don't want to be limited by what I put on when the going gets tough...I think you just made me talk myself around to answering my questions/concerns and making a decision, ha! Thanks!

kayadog - Thanks for your feedback on AT3, sorry to hear you were disappointed by it when others have had better luck. I looked at the Hankook's but they are only available in load range "E", likewise for the Falken and I'm looking for C or D. I had been following some other reviews on the Falken and it was coming across as a great "do everything" tire but some users started to report premature wear. The tread isn't that deep either with the E load range at 14/32 if I remember correctly. Otherwise, the performance of the tire was reported to be outstanding.

Still leaning towards ST MAXX and now think I am suffering analysis paralysis...:eek:

Last edited:

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
I'd consider the ST MAXX if they had an E rating in 315-70-17.
My truck's 8600#,wet camper, no occupants.

i had to look up the sizes....that suprises me that they only offer the 315 70 17 in D, even though its the same weigh rating as an E. I am guessing weight savings. Could always drop down to the 295. sure you would lose a tad bit of height, but that might help your top end a little.

Telluric

Ordered the ST Maxx today. Should be installed the next week or two and very anxious to see how they perform.

Thanks again for everyone's input and to all of those who posted in this epic tire thread!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I'd consider the ST MAXX if they had an E rating in 315-70-17.
My truck's 8600#,wet camper, no occupants.

I haven't found any tire in that size that is E1 (80psi) rated. All of the tires in or near that size is either a D load rated or E2 rated (65 psi). I run the 285/75/17's (ST MAXX) as they are the largest E1 rated 17" rim tire I can find.

IMG_1475-L.jpg

IMG_1215-L.jpg

smugshot_1544466-L.jpg

And why I prefer an E1 rated tire as well. I use my truck.
Jack

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Not with you on this one, Jack.

In simple terms, the so called "load range" that we all love to talk about when discussing HD tires is really more about the max pressure that the tire is capable of than the load that it can carry.

For example, your Load Range E 285/70R17's are rated for 3195lbs at 80psi. The LR D 315/70R17's you poo poo for not being HD enough are also rated for 3195lbs, but will carry that load at 65psi. The reality is that terms of load capacity, they are the same. IMO, feeling better about being able to run 80psi max instead of 65, when the result is the same load capacity is kinda moot...

My thinking is this... I always run the least pressure to do the job. I do this for the same reason that you air down offroad... Better traction, better mobility, and better damage resistance. For on-road, it also results in better tread wear in a lightly loaded truck.

Just something to think about...

Of course, for those running newer trucks with TPMS, you'll have to stick with LR E so you can safely run enough pressure to keep the warning light off. (Don't get me started on pre-set TPMS pressures in 3/4 and 1-ton trucks...)

BTW, I'm loving my 255/80R17 Maxx's, even though I've never had them above 70psi, even towing 11k of Gooseneck... ;)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I get what you are saying as far as capacity, but with a hard wall camper, the 65 psi can result in a wiggly feeling whereas the 80 psi, eliminates that feeling. Not to mention the rolling resistance improvement that 80psi gives over 65psi when carrying heavy weights. It was really more apparent with my previous Lance/F350 combo. It would also wear the tires funny if they were not aired up to 80 psi when hauling the camper.

The current Sun-Lite, is much lighter and it's not as big of a problem. Of course the FWC is a non issue as well. If I have the FWC loaded and decide to pull a trailer, such as my in-laws travel trailer or my car trailer with a load, it makes a difference. That additional 15psi does matter when carrying/pulling heavy loads. It's not all about the capacity when dealing with performance.
Jack

Panhandler

For what it's worth I had the AT3's on a Honda Pilot and replaced them after about 20k miles due to their high level of noise riding around town. I rotated and balanced regularly but finally gave up and went with BF Goodrich.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
For what it's worth I had the AT3's on a Honda Pilot and replaced them after about 20k miles due to their high level of noise riding around town. I rotated and balanced regularly but finally gave up and went with BF Goodrich.

I don't know what year Pilot you have but our 2005 has lousy road noise isolation especially sitting in the second row.
I run Michelin Latitudes on mine solely for that issue. Aside from that it's a great vehicle. 155K

kayadog

Adventurer
I'm not sure it's the Pilot. The AT3's on my well insulated WK Grand Cherokee have been annoyingly loud since they were new. The larger Hankook ATM's on my Wrangler, a much louder vehicle, are almost silent by comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz