Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx E-Rated or Goodyear DuraTracs D-Rated on a 5th Gen Trail

Krytos

Adventurer
I know variations of this have been done half to death, but the most recent thread I found hasn't really been active for about two years.

As you can tell from my two choices, I'm looking for a good MT/AT hybrid and have narrowed my options down to these. I was looking for anyone with first hand experience with either or both. Both of them have pros and cons from what I've been able to research. The Duratracs are light, but they're a bit more expensive and their 2-ply construction results in a weaker sidewall. The Coopers on the other hand are strong but heavier as a result. Some anecdotal evidence I've found (read: "web-wheeling") has shown that gas mileage suffers accordingly.

Noise isn't really a concern for me as I'm coming from a Jeep on 35 Inch Mud Terrains. Something that's a bit louder than the usual "highway-terrain" won't really bother me all that much.

What say ye, Expo warriors?

mike2100

Observer
Just curious - if noise doesn't bother you why are you moving from a mud terrain to something less aggressive?

Krytos

Adventurer
Just curious - if noise doesn't bother you why are you moving from a mud terrain to something less aggressive?

Mostly because it's not just noise that accompanies an aggressive mud terrain, but an increase in rolling resistance, which in turn means a hit in Fuel economy.

Both of these tires are hybrids, the inner treads are spaced together like an A/T, while the outer lugs are spaced more like an M/T, a compromise. An increase in traction while not being too much of a negative in the MPG department.

I mentioned sound specifically because the big knock on the Duratrac is that it's a bit loud.

soonenough

Explorer
I had a set of 265/75/16 load range C Duratracs on my Tacoma for 60k miles, and I didn't think they were that loud at all. Honestly when I bought them, the new Duratracs weren't any louder than the OEM Rugged Trails with 45k that they replaced. I understand a new tire is always quiet, but that should give you an idea of the road noise when they're new, because the Rugged Trails are essentially a street tire, so even a worn out street tire isn't all that loud. Of course by the time the Duratracs had 60k on them they were much louder and didn't drive all that well, but in all reality they probably should've been replaced at 50-55k. I doubt you'll notice the noise at all if you're coming from a MT.

I think I've decided on the ST/Maxx for my next set of tires, but I don't have any experience with them so I can't offer a direct comparison to the Duratracs.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
You never said what size you're looking at, so I'll assume it's either the stock 265/70-17 or the common 285/70-17 (approx 33") upsize replacement.

Unless you're bashing the sidewalls I'd try to stick with a C or D Load tire on that 5th-Gen 4Runner.

Honestly though, the biggest hit to your MPG will just come from the increased weight of the tires if you're not going with a full-on M/T.

Increased tire weight in this category comes in the form of heavier internal construction (in the case of D/E Load tires) and added rubber (in the case of M/T tires with greater tread depths).

The extra rolling resistance from an aggressive tread pattern also plays a lesser part, and it all adds up. I have seen instances on the FJ Forum where someone went from the P-Metric OE tire straight to a 285, E-Load mud-terrain and took a 2.5-3mpg hit.

As a point of reference, Toyota's OEM Bridgestones and Dunlops in the 265/70-17 size weigh around 39-40lbs each...

Standard Load Range (SL aka P-Metric)
40lbs - P255/75-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (JK stock size, Toyota 'pizza cutter')
41lbs - P265/70-17 Cooper Discoverer A/T3
43lbs - P265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

C Load Range
44lbs - LT265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
45lbs - LT265/70-17 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
50lbs - LT265/70-17 Cooper Discoverer A/T3

D Load Range
54lbs - LT285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
58lbs - LT285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
59lbs - LT285/70-17 BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2

E Load Range
50lbs - LT265/70-17 Cooper Discoverer A/T3
50lbs - LT265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
55lbs - LT265/70-17 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
55lbs - LT265/70-17 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

:beer:

Krytos

Adventurer
I'm leaning towards the Coopers, but they're a bit heavier than the Duratracs, to the tune of 6lbs per tire.

The sizes would be 285/70/17.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm already going up 14lbs per tire, I might as well keep going and go the full 20lbs.

dieck

Adventurer
Thanks

I realize this post is quite old, but I found it very useful and wanted to say thank you.

Especially your post SWITAWI

One tire I'm adding to the mix is the truly 33inch skinny 255/80/17 At 58 lbs it's a nice tall compromise.

58lbs - LT255/80-17 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles