Cooper atp

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I have a chance to swap my 275 70 16 michelin ltx tires for some 285 75 16 coper atp tires. Equal condition straight swap. Anyone run these how do they stack up against say a nitto terra grappler.

WUzombies

Adventurer
There have been some problems with Cooper tires having rapid delamination issues at speed. The situations I've read about are still being deposed so it may be a while before (if) a recall hits.

karlmagnum

Observer
Had the Cooper AT3 and I know that ATP is more aggressive. If you want tires that can perform well off the road, go with ATP.

skeeter06

Observer
My buddy runs them on everything. His Rubicon goes everywhere with them on it. I wanted a set, but they didn't make the size I wanted, so I went with the AT3s

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
My buddy runs them on everything. His Rubicon goes everywhere with them on it. I wanted a set, but they didn't make the size I wanted, so I went with the AT3s

You like the atps? I was thinking about getting them from discount tires.

The following is a signature.
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

skeeter06

Observer
You like the atps? I was thinking about getting them from discount tires.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
I would run them. Always been a Cooper fan though. What I have seen them accomplish, I definately believe you could not go wrong with these tires

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
only place you can get them. they are a discount exclusive tire.

Oh that works then.

J.R.

Observer
There have been some problems with Cooper tires having rapid delamination issues at speed. The situations I've read about are still being deposed so it may be a while before (if) a recall hits.

Got any links? I havnt heard anything.

Ive been running ATP's on my 2500 Silverado for about 2 years now. No issues whatsoever, everything from towing heavy to 4 wheeling the desert southwest. I plan on buying them again after this set gets used up.
Sorry, never ran the Nittos so I cant compare. Also Im not sure Id want to run them in the soupy mud...the tread just isnt aggressive enough ( IMHO).

Robert Bills

Explorer

Do you have a reliable source for your assertion, or are you blindly repeating Internet myth?

I googled "cooper tire delamination" and the most recent Cooper delamination issue I could find was related to a recall in 2006. "On topic" posts that I found on various Australian 4x4 boards involved Cooper tires manufactured at about that same time. I also found two threads originating in South Africa in 2012 complaining of Cooper tires delaminating, however one concerned tires that that were over 6 years old when the problem occurred and the other tires that had been in use 5+ years (i.e., the tires in question were dried out and "stale"). Recent delamination recalls have involved Michelin, Continental, Yokohama, Kumho and Firestone, but not Cooper.

Until someone can provide citations to reliable sources, I will consider Cooper tire delamination to be no more of an issue than with any other tire manufacturer.

Back to the original topic:

For a more aggressive tread than the typical AT tire you might consider the Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx. I have used them for the past 18 months with no complaints, including a 1,900 mile trip round trip to/from Moab UT and a week on the trails.

IMG_0139.JPG

Moab%2520Credit%2520Card%2520Photo.jpg

Last edited:

WUzombies

Adventurer
Do you have a reliable source for your assertion, or are you blindly repeating Internet myth?

My passion jobs are photography and writing (as linked below), my real job is in collision reconstruction, starting in law enforcement and now in the civilian world. The cases I'm thinking of are current and aren't finished yet (last I checked). So no internet involved, nor myths of old. Seemingly every tire manufacture has a series that has problems or a production issue at a plant at some point. This is one of the current ones. If you're really bored and want to look at publicly accessible data then you can read through the NHTSA information from their database of reported cases.

The new problem in tires that is starting to pop up (although very localized as of yet) are counterfeit tires made from stolen or copied molds in Asia then imported as legitimate tires by importers who don't know the difference.

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Thread back from the dead, lol. I'll respond since I have had these for about 4k on my wife's kj liberty w/clevis lift.

These tires really surprised me. Initially got these because of the reviews and mostly for the price, admittedly. We only had snow once this year, but worked flawlessly. My wife had no problems driving on them. She gained a lot of confidence on them. I have taken them off road more than a handful of times, aired down to 18psi in kansas mixed limestone/muddy gravel. Kept up with jk's at the years local jeep jamboree

Buckshot62

Observer
I have 53,000 on a set of 285/75/16 ATP 10 plies on a dodge 3/4 ton diesel 4x4. Just replaced 2 a couple of months ago and getting ready to replace the other 2. Love these tires, they are used on the highway everyday and in the mountains as often as I get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles