Cooper AT3 vs. Falken Wildpeak vs. BFG AT KO

VistaCruiser

Observer
boss324^^^Looks good, and seeing more of those around. BFG AT/KO was the very first off-road tire I've ran, MANY miles of enjoyment under those. I'm really loving where the hybrid tread design is going. Manufacturers are really listening to the market needs.

Sam

xjoverland99

I really wish that they would release the 15 inch rim sizes already. I've been eyeing these for a bit. I will have to wait now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

coreman23

What size are you running? Mind sharing pics? I may drink the Kool aid of Dynapro...

Here are some pics. I have around 7000 miles on them now. I went with these over the Coopers because I read a few reviews that they didn't last as long. I skipped the Generals, because I read their snow and ice rating wasn't very good. I get snow where I live, and the Dynapros were great. I only got the passenger rated tires. If I went to LT tires, the only dowside was in that size, I could only get an "E" rated tire. I don't tow, so thought they might be overkill. I think I paid $110 a piece, the LT "E" rated tires were $135 each.

Photo Jun 18, 8 25 50 AM.jpg
Photo Jun 18, 8 25 39 AM.jpg

kayadog

Adventurer
They aren't the sexiest tires but they work great as a true all terrain and are a good value. Mine are still very quiet and smooth and have a lot of tread left at about 40k.

D-R0CK

I had the KOs and replaced them with coopers, both in 265/75/r16, and the Coopers are worlds better both on and off road. Not cheap though, my set was $880 installed after tax.

D-R0CK

It is worth noting, the AT/3 does fill up with mud pretty quick, and is less than ideal for that, but excellent in rocks and is surprisingly good in deep sand (when aired down, as always)

I tend to run gravel roads a bit too fast and the handling characteristics of the AT3s in a slide are very good, and recovering from oversteer is easy. They let go of traction very progressively. Great tire, I would buy them again in a heart beat.

OCD Overland

Explorer
My experience with mud and the AT3's has been pretty good so far. It's not an MT of course, but I was able to make it out to the far side of the campground at the expo three or four times without getting stuck, if that's any indication.

xjoverland99

Ok so I scoped out some areas I am going to be frequenting regularly and there was a lot more mud than expected. So, here is my semi-unrelated question: my assumption was the at3 was very good in snow and ice, better than a mud tire. My friend has the km2 and he wrecked his Jeep in the snow because he slid into a guard rail. How does the at3 rank next to say the stt in heavy rain and snow and ice? Is there a significant difference?

kayadog

Adventurer
I would say that the AT3 would be significantly better in ice, snow, and rain, on the road than any dedicated mud tire as well as having much better driving characteristics all around.. My AT3's are very good in those conditions, my Hankook ATM's slightly better but they are both good. If you want something decent on the road in ice, snow, and rain, but still able to handle some mud look at the ST Maxx or Duratrac.

xjoverland99

Well all the areas I have pause with about the at3 are flash flood areas on mountains over 10k feet. I would prefer the at3 because I hate the duratracs and am not crazy about the st Maxx. I don't want to get stuck somewhere. I planning on getting a 12k winch so I know it won't be as bad but river crossings aren't the easiest to winch out of.

kayadog

Adventurer
It sounds like the AT3 will work for you. I have no experience using them in deep mud though. If I had to choose, I would take the Hankook ATM's over the AT3's but they are both good all terrain tires and good values.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles