Cooper AT3 vs. Falken Wildpeak vs. BFG AT KO

The Falkens are a heavy-duty street tire - their grooves/sipes only go about half way down the tread blocks so by the time they're half worn, they're a slick with 4 lateral grooves.

That is a perfect explanation of what is wrong with the Falken Wild Peaks by my observation as well! Totally gone at "half" treadwear.

I have Wrangler Duratracs on my Jeep and have had the same issue with needing frequent balancing, although treadwear has been exceptionally good compared to other tires I've run over the years. I"m not sure what I'll run next on the Jeep, but the Hankook MT or Cooper STT are two of my primary considerations.

My Xterra is on its second set of Hankook Dynapro ATM's, and they have been great tires on and off road. The off road traction surprises me, especially in mud, as the tread is not very aggressive.

I'd had quite a few sets of BFG A/T's over the years (not in the past 10 years or so), and while I felt they were a decent on road tire, I was not impressed with off road traction in rocks or mud at all. I moved to an aggressive mud tire on all my 4wd's other than the Xterra since then.

Scott Brady

Founder
The BFG will be slightly more resistant to sidewall damage and the AT/3 will be a better performer in wet conditions. Realistically, it is splitting hairs- both are great tires. Buy the one that looks better to you and is available in the size/price you want to pay.

kayadog

Adventurer
I had 2 sets of the same size Grabber AT2's in the same Jeep. The first set lasted forever and were smooth and quiet and were some of the best tires I ever owned. The 2nd set never held a balance, howled, and shook the whole Jeep and I couldn't wait to replace them. All were great off road and in the snow and were very tough for a P rated AT tire (I got T boned by a car full on a tire hard enough to lift the Jeep off the ground. The car's front bumper was shredded and the tire was barely smudged).

That being said the Hankook ATM is a more modern tire equally good off road and more civilized on road. I prefer the old school off road look of the Generals.

xjoverland99

So far wear and ride motivate me. I have put up to 10k on my Jeep in a year so the MT stuff doesn't hold up well. The Coopers seem to balance looks and performance with wear. The Dynapro seems to wear and perform well so I'll look into them, but their cost is a bit up there in my area.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kayadog

Adventurer
Try Discount Tire Direct. They have good prices on the Hankook and AT3, especially when they are running a Discount. The Cooper ATP is basically an AT3 but slightly cheaper and a little more aggressive.

VistaCruiser

Observer
Cooper AT/W is also coming up as an aggressive street/snow/mild off-road tire. Loved the Cooper AT3's when I ran them. Strong sidewall, nice siping, ran nice on road and surprisingly high traction off-road. Pleased with wet road handling as well, as I felt BFG AT KO tried to hydroplane at lower speeds. Falken, the race slick ribs at half tread are true. Hankook's absolutely work well on road, have been acceptable off-road, but left me wanting something more aggressive for the terrain I run. I've run the Duratracs (not a fan), BFG, Hankook, and Cooper tires. Cooper gets my vote, as the AT3 impressed me enough to move into the ST Maxx.

xjoverland99

Ok, those ATP's look pretty aggressive. I like cooper products from the look of it. Thank you so much guys. I have some km2s to sell so I can get some coopers. I know, it sounds crazy but I can't stand mt tires anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coreman23

So far wear and ride motivate me. I have put up to 10k on my Jeep in a year so the MT stuff doesn't hold up well. The Coopers seem to balance looks and performance with wear. The Dynapro seems to wear and perform well so I'll look into them, but their cost is a bit up there in my area.

I got America's tire to beat onlinetires.com price on my Hankooks. But I can pick up at onlinetires.com, so I did have that option. America's tire was great, I submitted online and they contacted me the next day.

xjoverland99

I liked the ATP tread, but I guess the AT3 replaced it. Not a big deal really, they both seem like excellent tires. I am happy to see some people share my disappointment with Duratracs. I just wish more companies made a 33 10.50 15.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
funny that everyone seems to think of the AT3 and ATP as more aggressive than the Dynapro ATM. I think the Dynapro and the ATP are pretty much the same, and the AT3 is a rather non-aggressive version of a 5-rib AT tire. All are great - not knocking any of the tread patterns at all. Just don't see how the ATP is more aggressive looking than the ATM (or the AT3).

xjoverland99

funny that everyone seems to think of the AT3 and ATP as more aggressive than the Dynapro ATM. I think the Dynapro and the ATP are pretty much the same, and the AT3 is a rather non-aggressive version of a 5-rib AT tire. All are great - not knocking any of the tread patterns at all. Just don't see how the ATP is more aggressive looking than the ATM (or the AT3).
I agree. I am also at the point where I am having to stop buying tires for looks but functionality. Street manners is a must to avoid any clenching moments in traffic but I need the ability to continue taking my logging and mining roads around the southwest. It's a tough balance and only recently could I even count on a tire doing that. Cooper seems to get it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles