Cooling upgrades

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
An easy seasonal fix for higher temps is a hood raise. Simple 1" square stock, and 1" longer hood bolts. As hard as it can rain, very little water enters into the engine compartment from the cowl area due to the design of the cowl & hood.
These 1 inch "shims" go between the hood and the hinge. It's a cheap simple way to help the natural rising heat escape from the cramped engine compartment.

Here's mine:

It doesn't get too hot up here in Maine, but last weekend it was hovering around 90 degrees and the engine temps never went up past 115. Slow wheeling and I even ran the A/C...cuz I could :elkgrin:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
An easy seasonal fix for higher temps is a hood raise. Simple 1" square stock, and 1" longer hood bolts. As hard as it can rain, very little water enters into the engine compartment from the cowl area due to the design of the cowl & hood.
These 1 inch "shims" go between the hood and the hinge. It's a cheap simple way to help the natural rising heat escape from the cramped engine compartment.

Here's mine:

It doesn't get too hot up here in Maine, but last weekend it was hovering around 90 degrees and the engine temps never went up past 115. Slow wheeling and I even ran the A/C...cuz I could :elkgrin:

Never over 115 you say? And the hood risers actually do more harm than good over 20mph or so.

88Xj

Banned
Never over 115 you say? And the hood risers actually do more harm than good over 20mph or so.

I have 3/4" spacers on mine cause I didn't like the huge gap look. But how does this hurt after. 20+ miles an hour? I know it helps at slower speeds because the heat rises naturally up and out it goes. I can see it and I did this free mod for trail riding.
And I have hood vents on the front portion of the hood to help while at speed. I forget where, maybe gojeep? That did a write up for the best place for vents at speed so I placed mine where they showed was best. Similar position to the stock 5.9l zj vents.

88Xj

Banned
To contribute, I've used water wetter & distiller water only last year. Couldn't get my jeep over 188* according to a ir thermoeter. with a 195* tstat in it.

This go around a solid 1 core radiator from dpg. 20/80 mix of anti freeze & distiller water. Just curious but what's the difference between orange and green antifreeze? Benefit to 1 over the other?

jscusmcvet

Explorer
At some point, every jeep 4.0 I have had (all bought used) has had cooling issues. I believe those on here that are pointing out the basic cooling system maintenance issues are correct. In your case (as was each of mine) an XJ that was bought used and bone stock, to me indicates the primary use like any regular passenger car. No worries, but how many people do you know who take care of their passenger cars like most on here take care of our jeeps.

Point being, the regular maintenance issues for the cooling system never have taken place. In all 3 xj's I have owned I have had to replace the water pump early on due to corrosion. Also have had to replace radiators for the same thing. Good news is that both jobs are relatively easy.

Above someone commented about feeling for heat around the radiator when the engine is running. This works well to identify a clogged radiator. If the air behind a certain section of the radiator is cool, that area is most likely clogged.

My suggestion is to follow the advice given regarding making sure your system is good and flushed, running the proper coolant mixture and see where you are. Since you already changed the tstat, next to me would be the water pump and then radiator. All can be done right in your driveway.

Darn 4.0 tractor engines. Cooling them is a pain.

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
The Orange coolant is an organic compound called OAT coolant. Unless your vehicle came with it do not use it.

To contribute, I've used water wetter & distiller water only last year. Couldn't get my jeep over 188* according to a ir thermoeter. with a 195* tstat in it.

This go around a solid 1 core radiator from dpg. 20/80 mix of anti freeze & distiller water. Just curious but what's the difference between orange and green antifreeze? Benefit to 1 over the other?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles