Cooler SIZE survey

MotoDave

Explorer
I'm surprised I didn't find a thread like this already ... if I missed one, please delete this.

I'm going to pick up a Yeti Cooler - with my REI dividend and 20% off coupon it'll be near free, and I'm sick of my el-cheapo Igloo cooler.

This is not a debate over brand - I'm sure Engel and Pelican the others are great too, REI has Yeti so that's what I'll get.

I'm considering the Yeti 50, 65 and 75 quart coolers. My application will be 2-5 day car camping overlanding trips out of a truck, want to keep food & barley pops cold for up to 4 people. Leaning towards the Yeti 65, seems like a reasonable size/weight to move by myself, but large enough for what I want to do.

So post up what size cooler you use, how you use it, and any other general feedback. Did you buy one that's larger than you need, and its annoying to move by yourself? (my concern with the Yeti 75) Or do you wish you'd bought a larger cooler, cant fit enough snobby craft beer for a week of camping?

kbahus

Adventurer
I use a Yeti 20qt for weekend trips with a family of three. I went as small as possible as a big cooler takes up a lot of real estate in my vehicle, also the Yeti's get heavy fast. This summer I may supplement with a quality soft side cooler purely for drinks as the 20qt doesn't leave much room for that snobby craft beer!

edit: One thing I would also like to mention is to bring your rig to the store and see if they will let you take a few out to see how they fit, I found they look smaller in the store verse in the truck/car.

Last edited:
I use a Yeti 20qt for weekend trips with a family of three. I went as small as possible as a big cooler takes up a lot of real estate in my vehicle, also the Yeti's get heavy fast. This summer I may supplement with a quality soft side cooler purely for drinks as the 20qt doesn't leave much room for that snobby craft beer!

+1 on the 20qt for two of us... small size & 1/2 what we eat/drink isn't refrigerated. Weekends, even week-long trips we tend to stop at a grocery every couple of days. Backcountry for a week would push it...

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
I would suggest you look inward. You know your need for cold storage vs the available room better than we do. Is the igloo you have too small, too big, or just right?

Myself, being an IT guy, have a redundant array of inexpensive coolers. I take different sizes for different trips with different people in different seasons. You can do that, too. Having a new fancy cooler doesn't mean you can't also use other inexpensive ones sometimes, too.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I have the Yeti 45 and I wish it was bigger. I camp mostly solo (feeding only myself) and did several 3-4 day trips last year. I made my own divider with a walmart cutting board and put "food" on one side under the basket and liquid on the other side (coke, water, milk.) I was for sure using less ice than my buddy who had an el cheapo cooler but I was close to not having any cold coke or water because I lacked the room. I've been thinking about picking up the small one for beverages and then packing more food in the 45 but have trouble coughing up the money for it. I got mine on a 15% off sale at my Sportmans Warehouse last year.

Sportsmans had both the Pelican and Yeti. For similar size the Yeti was lighter and less bulky which is why I went with that one. I don't think there is a problem getting the one you plan on.

screwball48

Explorer
My 35q pelican gets heavy fast. If it has a full load then I ask for help with it if someone is around. Go ahead and get the 75 you will be glad to have the space. Either way plan on enlisting help moving them when full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfroman

I have a 45 and a 120 yeti. typically use the 45 for clean ice (prefer cocktails over beer) the 120 holds enough for 4 people for a week

PowerWagner

Explorer
I'm surprised I didn't find a thread like this already ... if I missed one, please delete this.

I'm going to pick up a Yeti Cooler - with my REI dividend and 20% off coupon it'll be near free, and I'm sick of my el-cheapo Igloo cooler.

Half way sorry I'm being an *** to you and your thread but you're cooler, regardless of the size, won't be "near free" with the helping of "denied access" REI is going to tack on to your overall purchase costs.

Best on your quart size dilemma either way.

MotoDave

Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback so far, interesting to see how people use them.

I checked and my current cooler is a 48 quart, I don't see going smaller than that. Guessing I will end up with the 50 or 65 quart. I can also see getting a small one for day trips.

Chris, I get what you're saying. Ive been an rei member for about 20 years now, and they just can't be beat for value and selection, as well as having staff that actually know something about the products. I don't agree with all of their corporate politics, and have expressed my views through comments through their member feedback section as well as how I vote in their board member elections.

Anyways my cooler will be neutral and won't make parties awkward with political opinions, so neither will I :)

Rumline

Observer
From what I've found, various manufacturers rate the sizes of their coolers rather liberally. I recommend you calculate internal volume yourself based on provided interior dimensions (take into account the top is often wider than the base) when comparing models.

Sportsmans had both the Pelican and Yeti. For similar size the Yeti was lighter and less bulky which is why I went with that one.
I found Yeti to claim one "size" larger than their coolers really are. When comparing to Pelican, once I was comparing models that had equivalent capacity rather than just model numbers, the weight and size difference was marginal (although the Yetis were still slightly smaller and lighter).

dusmw

Two Yeti's

35 dedicated for beer

65 for food and juice/ water and extra ice (cocktails)

I reuse 1/2 gallon milk cartons filled w water and frozen as block ice. Block melts at a slower rate and lasts longer. Once melted we have drinking water for trip home!

Binkie

I have an Engel 65. It is good enough for 2 adults and 2 kids, in moderate Canadian summer temps for 2-4 days. I like beer, the wife demands a plethora of fresh fruits, and we get by. It is just big enough for our needs and trip length' and perfect length in our truck. Couldn't go bigger.

I recently just ordered a divider and 2 racks. They were backorder the last half of last year, for those thinking of Engel. I hope these accessories help keep stuff dry and organized.

I wanted to go full out to a fridge, but finance dept stopped that. Said department was reluctant on the cooler, but after 1 trip, admitted it was worth the investment. If we plan longer trips, I will find a way to go to a fridge.

I think any of the HD marine coolers are a far cry from the econo coolers. Good luck!

AML

Adventurer

This is not a debate over brand - I'm sure Engel and Pelican the others are great too, REI has Yeti so that's what I'll get.

I'm considering the Yeti 50, 65 and 75 quart coolers. My application will be 2-5 day car camping overlanding trips out of a truck, want to keep food & barley pops cold for up to 4 people. Leaning towards the Yeti 65, seems like a reasonable size/weight to move by myself, but large enough for what I want to do.

So post up what size cooler you use, how you use it, and any other general feedback. Did you buy one that's larger than you need, and its annoying to move by yourself? (my concern with the Yeti 75) Or do you wish you'd bought a larger cooler, cant fit enough snobby craft beer for a week of camping?

I have a Yeti roadie 20. Very stout but it doesn't keep the ice as long as the bigger ones due to the size (can't hold as much ice). I know you mentioned the Yeti, but another option for you, if you didn't see it, is the Igloo Yukon. It is on REI's outlet page. It is the larger 70 quart. It is marked down pretty substantially to begin with, take another 20% off during the sale and it takes it down to just about $200. Reviews other than the REI site are pretty good. With my dividend it would be free. I just don't know how much I would use it since I have a couple fridge/freezers.

Like I said, it isn't a Yeti, but a good deal none the less!

AML

Adventurer
I have a Yeti roadie 20. Very stout but it doesn't keep the ice as long as the bigger ones due to the size (can't hold as much ice). I know you mentioned the Yeti, but another option for you, if you didn't see it, is the Igloo Yukon. It is on REI's outlet page. It is the larger 70 quart. It is marked down pretty substantially to begin with, take another 20% off during the sale and it takes it down to just about $200. Reviews other than the REI site are pretty good. With my dividend it would be free. I just don't know how much I would use it since I have a couple fridge/freezers.

Like I said, it isn't a Yeti, but a good deal none the less!

Disregard :(

Looks like the only outlet items that are 20% off are the ones that end in $.73.

Sorry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles