Cooler mods: Has anyone done the foam mod?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Why wouldn’t you freeze the steaks? Is there some sort of secret steak lore I don’t know about? I’m pretty sure steak is aged above 33 F. Maybe buy full cuts, partially freeze it, and cut each steak off the end as you go?

If you want to geek out on the cooler just for fun, maybe fill it with sand or water before you spray so the you have more resistance?

Or buy a countertop ice maker and just make ice all day with your generator then keep your cooler loaded forever. When my kitchen fridge ice maker crapped out we used a Newair countertop unit for 3 years at only about 150 bucks, maybe 180, I forget the exact cost.

Reactions: Man

Man

NatersXJ6 said:
Why wouldn’t you freeze the steaks? Is there some sort of secret steak lore I don’t know about? I’m pretty sure steak is aged above 33 F. Maybe buy full cuts, partially freeze it, and cut each steak off the end as you go?

If you want to geek out on the cooler just for fun, maybe fill it with sand or water before you spray so the you have more resistance?

Or buy a countertop ice maker and just make ice all day with your generator then keep your cooler loaded forever. When my kitchen fridge ice maker crapped out we used a Newair countertop unit for 3 years at only about 150 bucks, maybe 180, I forget the exact cost.

There isn't a secret steak lore, but there is a secret society of full-time overlanders loving every minute of it. Outside of campgrounds and in the deserts during winter and forests during summer all throughout the Western USA.

The ice maker is a good idea. Carrying the ice-chest full (50 lbs) in and out of the tent has tweaked a back muscle more than once. With an ice-maker, that pain point could go away by maintaining the ice level in the tent. But there is the part where I need to remove the ice to pack the chest and in days like the Mohave had last week at 92F, the ice melts quickly. The accumulated time the ice has been exposed to warm air in the span of a week begins to show an impact.

Traditionally people buy steak off the shelf in whatever size the butcher puts out, if they have any at all. To get a deal on steaks and to get enough steak for a week, I buy Chuck or Rib Eye in 20-30 pound vacuum packed bags and cut it up. Below is a pic of such beast. $3.19 a pound. Hamburger costs more than that per pound. This steak is fatty, juicy, tender and loaded with flavor. Steak and eggs for breakfast every day!

G1TXz0A.jpg

ZSmemCx.jpg

EzwDzeH.jpg

gTwr10C.jpg

e0HGJ5B.jpg

Removing the pain points of having and maintaining an ice-chest from my life and getting a refer is looking super good. I'm waiting to hear back from truckfridge to understand the shipping package dimensions. The FedEx places near me don't accept large packages so I may need to wait until I go to Utah.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
There isn't a secret steak lore, but there is a secret society of full-time overlanders loving every minute of it. Outside of campgrounds and in the deserts during winter and forests during summer all throughout the Western USA.

The ice maker is a good idea. Carrying the ice-chest full (50 lbs) in and out of the tent has tweaked a back muscle more than once. With an ice-maker, that pain point could go away by maintaining the ice level in the tent. But there is the part where I need to remove the ice to pack the chest and in days like the Mohave had last week at 92F, the ice melts quickly. The accumulated time the ice has been exposed to warm air in the span of a week begins to show an impact.

Traditionally people buy steak off the shelf in whatever size the butcher puts out, if they have any at all. To get a deal on steaks and to get enough steak for a week, I buy Chuck or Rib Eye in 20-30 pound vacuum packed bags and cut it up. Below is a pic of such beast. $3.19 a pound. Hamburger costs more than that per pound. This steak is fatty, juicy, tender and loaded with flavor. Steak and eggs for breakfast every day!

G1TXz0A.jpg

Removing the pain points of having and maintaining an ice-chest from my life and getting a refer is looking super good. I'm waiting to hear back from truckfridge to understand the shipping package dimensions. The FedEx places near me don't accept large packages so I may need to wait until I go to Utah.

The other benefit of having the fridge is not having to stuff your hands in to all that Ice every time you have to look for something,

Oh and if you pre-freeze all your meat in the house freezer before you load the IndelB it will use even less power just divide your meat in to Daily Packs as normal before you freeze it, This is where a small 10/15L cooler can be useful for defrosting your meat slowly over night adding a few cans of Suds so it serves Double Duty, LOL

NatersXJ6

Explorer

G1TXz0A.jpg

ZSmemCx.jpg

EzwDzeH.jpg

gTwr10C.jpg

e0HGJ5B.jpg

That was pretty much my point about buying large cuts. You can usually find tenderloin end cuts for about $5-6 per lb here, compared to $22-25 filet mignon, but it is a little smaller and not as pretty. Makes great medallions, etc...

The fridge is a great idea, I use mine constantly, even having just picked up dairy products at lunch an hour ago, and we are also hitting the 80-90 range right now. My experience has been that the ARB and Dometic fridges are very reliable. I have one of each running non stop for years 6 and 5 respectively. I don’t take them out of the car, and have them on sliding racks with solar panels to back up the batteries, no generators. It works well.

You could do something like that with an ic chest too and eliminate a bunch of the heavy weight carrying.

There are oodles of threads here about maintaining and using fridges and their advantages. If you are able to grab one, I doubt you will be disappointed. One thing to consider is that a few ice blocks in a fridge can make it easily run through the night. However, if you are on generator during the day and can recharge your batteries, running off a vehicle battery overnight is pretty low risk.

Man

67cj5 said:
If you do buy the IndelB and you want to use it as a fridge and a freezer at the same time, Try setting the Temp to -12*c / 10*f that way your food in the main compartment will stay frozen and the food/Drinks in the Dairy area will stay just above freezing +/- 1 or 2*, Then IndelB is like the ARB Classic Series which is a True Duel Zone Fridge Freezer, The Twin Door Fridges are Not a Duel Zone they are a Fridge "AND" Freezer OR Fridge and Fridge OR Freezer and Freezer like the ones we have at home.

Hope That helps.

The dual zone is super attractive and one attribute that lead me into the $1k price range or nothing mistake. Since I'm a full-time overlander and I don't start my trip from home anymore, being able to have both frozen and thawed meat would be ideal. I'm trying to pick the right size refer now but truckfridge is on Eastern time and closed. I had all morning to call and then I decied to call now, lol. I measured my cargo space and found the biggest refer truckfridge has in the portable line, the TB51A, would fit. But I don't really know how to wrap my head around how much space is in either one of their models TB31A, TB41A(39.5L/34 QT) or TB51A (51L/44QT). The TB41A costs $13.90 per liter and the TB51A is $11.75 per liter, so getting the larger one is appealing.
As far as value with the lower end fridges like truckfridge vs ARB, I think where they cut corners is in the area of weather resistance. Is that correct? Truckfridge docs say to keep it inside and not outside. Hopefully a tent is considered inside. I'm wondering where they cut corners because they have to be doing that to bring the price point down from the ARB level. Also removing features like bluetooth and avoiding the costs of paying an app dev for the app would help. It sounds like the compressor is not a corner they are cutting and that is a smart choice.
NatersXJ6 said:
That was pretty much my point about buying large cuts. You can usually find tenderloin end cuts for about $5-6 per lb here, compared to $22-25 filet mignon, but it is a little smaller and not as pretty. Makes great medallions, etc...

The fridge is a great idea, I use mine constantly, even having just picked up dairy products at lunch an hour ago, and we are also hitting the 80-90 range right now. My experience has been that the ARB and Dometic fridges are very reliable. I have one of each running non stop for years 6 and 5 respectively. I don’t take them out of the car, and have them on sliding racks with solar panels to back up the batteries, no generators. It works well.

You could do something like that with an ic chest too and eliminate a bunch of the heavy weight carrying.

There are oodles of threads here about maintaining and using fridges and their advantages. If you are able to grab one, I doubt you will be disappointed. One thing to consider is that a few ice blocks in a fridge can make it easily run through the night. However, if you are on generator during the day and can recharge your batteries, running off a vehicle battery overnight is pretty low risk.

I may buy a $80 deep cycle starter lead acid battery at Oriellys and a charger, thanks for bringing up the battery. It sounds like the right solution for the overnight energy problem. I think if I were in town and tried running the refer off the starter battery it would be fine. But out here I've learned to avoid using the starter battery for accessories. In fact, I go the opposite way and charge the car (hybrid) with the generator to keep it juiced. The portable charger will put a float charge on the 12V battery while charging the 360V battery. I've seen 2 people near by in about 10 days and one was on a dirt bike. I've been camped here one time before and there wasn't anyone around for the full 14 day stay so there really isn't anyone around to help if I make a mistake and over draw. Unfortunately, the 12V needs to be good for the car to begin charging when the car is off. Seems lame they couldn't devise a way to take all energy necessary from the charge cord to begin charging.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
The dual zone is super attractive and one attribute that lead me into the $1k price range or nothing mistake. Since I'm a full-time overlander and I don't start my trip from home anymore, being able to have both frozen and thawed meat would be ideal. I'm trying to pick the right size refer now but truckfridge is on Eastern time and closed. I had all morning to call and then I decied to call now, lol. I measured my cargo space and found the biggest refer truckfridge has in the portable line, the TB51A, would fit. But I don't really know how to wrap my head around how much space is in either one of their models TB31A, TB41A(39.5L/34 QT) or TB51A (51L/44QT). The TB41A costs $13.90 per liter and the TB51A is $11.75 per liter, so getting the larger one is appealing.
As far as value with the lower end fridges like truckfridge vs ARB, I think where they cut corners is in the area of weather resistance. Is that correct? Truckfridge docs say to keep it inside and not outside. Hopefully a tent is considered inside. I'm wondering where they cut corners because they have to be doing that to bring the price point down from the ARB level. Also removing features like bluetooth and avoiding the costs of paying an app dev for the app would helps. It sounds like the compressor is not a corner they are cutting and that is a smart choice.

I may buy a $80 deep cycle starter lead acid battery at Oriellys and a charger, thanks for bringing up the battery. It sounds like the right solution for the overnight energy problem. I think if I were in town and tried running the refer off the starter battery it would be fine. But out here I've learned to avoid using the starter battery for accessories. In fact, I go the opposite way and charge the car (hybrid) with the generator to keep it juiced. The portable charger will put a float charge on the 12V battery while charging the 360V battery. I've seen 2 people near by in about 10 days and one was on a dirt bike. I've been camped here one time before and there wasn't anyone around for the full 14 day stay so there really isn't anyone around to help if I make a mistake and over draw. Unfortunately, the 12V needs to be good for the car to begin charging when the car is off. Seems lame they couldn't devise a way to take all energy necessary from the charge cord to begin charging.

I think you misread my post, The fact is a fridge with a Main Area and a Dairy Area is in fact a Duel Zone, BUT what people are calling a Duel Zone Is 100% WRONG, Any fridge that has Twin Doors Is A Twin or a Combo, where One side can be set to a fridge and the other side to a freezer or both as freezers or both as fridges, A TRUE Duel Zone has Two Compartments that has Two Temperature Zones Regardless of what Temperature the Fridge is Set At.

Man

I think you misread my post, The fact is a fridge with a Main Area and a Dairy Area is in fact a Duel Zone, BUT what people are calling a Duel Zone Is 100% WRONG, Any fridge that has Twin Doors Is A Twin or a Combo, where One side can be set to a fridge and the other side to a freezer or both as freezers or both as fridges, A TRUE Duel Zone has Two Compartments that has Two Temperature Zones Regardless of what Temperature the Fridge is Set At.
Yeah, I did get confused after the +/- 1 or 2*, but either way the two individually temperature controlled compartments is what I was referring to. With that configuration the frozen steaks will last longer than the others in the refer which would stretch out the time span of having to go into town again.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Yeah, I did get confused after the +/- 1 or 2*, but either way the two individually temperature controlled compartments is what I was referring to. With that configuration the frozen steaks will last longer than the others in the refer which would stretch out the time span of having to go into town again.
Like I posted earlier, If you set the fridge to -12*c/10*f every thing in the main compartment will stay frozen for ever and every thing in the Dairy Area will not be frozen which is where they get the name of Duel Zone from.

In the Aussie bush we use that Temp as the Standard setup for 6-8 weeks at a time and longer,

You only need to set a freezer for -18*c / 0*F for long term storage like 3 to 6 months at a time, Not only that you will lessen your power Draw by up to 60%+ which means you will have more power in reserve for other items. etc.

Man

I came across the ICECO brand and their VL45 offering is looking more attractive than the truckfridge TB41A. It has a metal case, an online manual, a stronger warranty and it can operate at a 40* angle. The truckfridge costs a bit more and I'm curious which brand is better? I'm thinking a metal case and cover would be better than the plastic truckfridge with no cover and I'm not sure if the truckfridge can operate at the ICECO angle.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I came across the ICECO brand and their VL45 offering is looking more attractive than the truckfridge TB41A. It has a metal case, an online manual, a stronger warranty and it can operate at a 40* angle. The truckfridge costs a bit more and I'm curious which brand is better? I'm thinking a metal case and cover would be better than the plastic truckfridge with no cover and I'm not sure if the truckfridge can operate at the ICECO angle.
Iceco have also been branded as Primus which the name is well known in camping expedition circles But Alas their fridges seem to have issues, I know of one person who sent his back twice in 3 years and on the third time they said they no longer made parts for that model and he ended up with the biggest paper weight you ever saw, NOT saying Iceco are like that but there are other tails of woa going around,

Thing is Truckfridge/indelB are made by a Global company and you can get them fixed almost anywhere, while many of the cheaper fridges are sold under many different names, IndelB is National Luna's cheaper range of product designed for going wheeling and for work so they can take a beating and live to fight another day,

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Bottom line is you need to buy what feels right for you, I have 3 different brands of fridges 2 are great the other cools very fast but it is a Guts when it comes to Power draw and I don't like the fact that the Internals of the Compressor are not Dampend and it Clunks and rattles even driving on the Blacktop, That doesn't happen whith fridges equiped with the Danfos/Secop Compressors,

Iceco like many others are Copying National Luna's Styling in a bid to gain more sales as do many others out there, So buy what you like and make sure it has the Danfos Compressor and you have a 99% chance that it will serve you well for decades to come,

You can buy a good fridge for 400 to 600 Bucks, On Amazon you can pick up some of the NEW Older Dometic models for 400 or 500 bucks and you also get Amazons backing in the process, IndelB is a great Starting point and they are made buy one of the Market leaders, If you want to go Cheap then look at Alpicool who use LG Compressors, so there is 3 brands you can checkout,

I can tell you too much info So buy what seems to tick all the right boxes for you, as long as it has a good compressor that is half of the battle, The Stainless National Luna's are Tier 1 and if you like that style of fridge in a different brand make sure it has all the good Gear inside and it should serve you well, If you get stuck again just give me a holler and we'll check em out and sort the good from the bad, Ok.(y)

Man

I discovered after scrolling past the red sales font on the truckfridge site that they offer a metal refer that competes with the ICECO. I called truckfridge up this morning and found the metal one (TB46) is better insulated than the TB41A. The insulation is thicker by 1/4" and the walls are thicker.

I was curious about what happens when the truckfridge refer fails in warranty. The warranty is 1 year, but for the first 6 months if it breaks they will ship a replacement. The latter 6 months I have to ship it to them, but they do the work for free and ship it back free. I'm not carrying a refer shipping box around with me and I'm not going to buy one if the refer breaks so I'm looking at a 6 month warranty. Still, if it breaks during that first 6 months that is a pretty convenient service.

Another question I had for truckfridge was about where the fridge is assembled and tested. The work is done in China. It is good to know, but I don't hink I could afford the fridge if it were made in the USA lol. They aren't Italian like my boots.

I've been trying to contact ICECO but they don't pick up the phone. I'm interested in how they handle defects during the warranty period. They also have a cover for the VL45 to keep it nice. ICECO also has (from the pictures) a kick ass mount. If I ever get a vehicle to permanently stow the refer, that mount will be perfect. I just need them to pick up the phone. If they can't do that then I'm not buying from them case, mount or not, lol.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I discovered after scrolling past the red sales font on the truckfridge site that they offer a metal refer that competes with the ICECO. I called truckfridge up this morning and found the metal one (TB46) is better insulated than the TB41A. The insulation is thicker by 1/4" and the walls are thicker.

I was curious about what happens when the truckfridge refer fails in warranty. The warranty is 1 year, but for the first 6 months if it breaks they will ship a replacement. The latter 6 months I have to ship it to them, but they do the work for free and ship it back free. I'm not carrying a refer shipping box around with me and I'm not going to buy one if the refer breaks so I'm looking at a 6 month warranty. Still, if it breaks during that first 6 months that is a pretty convenient service.

Another question I had for truckfridge was about where the fridge is assembled and tested. The work is done in China. It is good to know, but I don't hink I could afford the fridge if it were made in the USA lol. They aren't Italian like my boots.

I've been trying to contact ICECO but they don't pick up the phone. I'm interested in how they handle defects during the warranty period. They also have a cover for the VL45 to keep it nice. ICECO also has (from the pictures) a kick ass mount. If I ever get a vehicle to permanently stow the refer, that mount will be perfect. I just need them to pick up the phone. If they can't do that then I'm not buying from them case, mount or not, lol.
Well you have answered your Own Question, Truckfidge will replace it in 6 months and repair it if it's 6 months after that and they were there to Answer your Questions,

Iceco won't even Answer the Phone So what do you think your chances are at putting a warrenty Claim Through with Iceco, ???

Go with the TB46, It sounds like the real deal and one way or another it is covered for 12 months,

Just about every fridge in made is Made in China and Engel are made in Malaysia and where they are made is unimportant and all the major brands are made there so they Know what they are Doing when it comes to getting it right,

My ARB's are made in China and one of them has been running for over 5 years non stop on AC or DC and I am always messing with the settings So I have given it a good work out.

Last edited:

4000lbsOfGoat

I may buy a $80 deep cycle starter lead acid battery at Oriellys and a charger, thanks for bringing up the battery.
You don't want a "starter" battery for running accessories. Starter batteries are designed to provide large bursts of energy for short periods of time. You want a deep-cycle battery that is designed for slow discharge over a long period of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles