Cool Jeeps You Can't Have - Mahindra of India

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thars/MM550's are common in quasi-military/police service, I spotted this armored Thar in Jaipur. The QRT on the hood stands for "Quick Response Team".

SWAT.jpg

This Thar is also in police service in Jaipur (the red writing on the door is "Police" in Hindi):

PoliceThar.jpg

And this Mahindra Major is still in police service in rural Rajasthan. The red/blue license plate on the front says "Police".

PoliceMajor.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few more Major/CJ-4 examples (the Mahindra long wheelbase version of the CJ-3b went by several names), most of these I spotted in rural taxi service in Rajasthan. Notice all of them have roof racks above the soft tops.

Major.jpg

These next ones I spotted in Sawai Mahdopur. Check the rack on the soft top and the rack over the windshield:

Major1.jpg

This one also has the windshield rack and a different soft top rack:

Major2.jpg

While we're in Sawai Mahdopur, here's an alternative mode of transportation common in Rajasthan (back to camels for a moment...).

CamelCart(1).jpg

wanderernomad

This is my Mahindra 500dp. It still has the original peugeot XD4.9P engine from 1984. Most of it is still stock except a few changes like a light indicator for the engine oil on the dash rather than the live oil pressure line gauge, 2 rims have also been taken from a later model.
Now I am thinking of reducing the wheelbase to the original cj3 wheel base. Can you please advise on the possible cons of cutting and rewelding the chassis.

Attachments

• 20170618_174616.jpg
    20170618_174616.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 27
  • 20171203_153551.jpg
    20171203_153551.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20170620_163407_955.jpg
    IMG_20170620_163407_955.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0190.JPG
    DSC_0190.JPG
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This is my Mahindra 500dp. It still has the original peugeot XD4.9P engine from 1984. Most of it is still stock except a few changes like a light indicator for the engine oil on the dash rather than the live oil pressure line gauge, 2 rims have also been taken from a later model.
Now I am thinking of reducing the wheelbase to the original cj3 wheel base. Can you please advise on the possible cons of cutting and rewelding the chassis.
Thanks for sharing!

Shortening the chassis should be a fairly straightforward process; the US Jeep CJ-6 was made by adding a straight section in the middle of theCJ-5 frame for the extra length so assuming the 500dp was lengthened the same way, shortening the frame should be fairly simple, just cut/remove part of the straight/parallel frame rails in the middle and weld the frame back together, adding fishplates for strength. I haven't shortened a frame but I have lengthened a Wrangler frame to build a pickup and that was a fairly straightforward process.

If you make the frame the same length as the factory short wheelbase version, you can pick up a used driveshaft to replace your long one. Brake lines and wiring need to be shortened, that's pretty easy. The hardest part might be shortening the body tub - the welds on the frame won't be visible when the vehicle is shortened but the joints in the shortened tub will so planning where to cut and rejoin the tub is worth taking some time for careful planning.

If people are interested in more information about wandernomad's Mahindra, trailer and build process, a build thread is on the Team BHP forum: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-...-cj500-dp-custom-made-expedition-trailer.html

20170618_174606-jpg.409589

There's also a short thread on this forum: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/a-mahindra-owen-trailer-and-an-old-cj500dp-lwb.169170/

pith helmet

This water crossing shot is my new favorite Mahindra pic.

wanderernomad

The body tub already has a clear cut panel addition where the section was added to increase the length of the body tub. So I think cutting along these seams should also be pretty straight forward? Side Panel.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another CJ-3b Major. This one belongs to a hotel near the Kumbhalgarh Fort.

Major4.jpg

The interior:

Major5.jpg

Kumbalgarh Fort: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumbhalgarh

Kumbalgarh.jpg

BTW "Garh" is an Urdu/Hindi word that means fortress, so any place name that ends in Garh either is a fortress, or is the name of a town that has a fortress.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A short wheelbase Major in rural taxi service outside of Udaipur:

MajorTaxi2.jpg

Major6.jpg

Another one.

MajorTaxi3.jpg

Both have large roof racks over the soft top (mounted through holes in the canvas) and ample ladders.

Another long wheelbase CJ-3b.

Commander1.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
An earlier brochure, this one still uses the Jeep name. This is probably a late 50's brocuhure, possibly early 60's and it shows how early Mahindra was creating special local versions like the Wagonette and Ambulance, which is a long-wheelbase (CJ-4) version of the Wagonette.

UniversalA.jpg

UniversalB.jpg

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I remember the Mahindra Classic being sold in the UK in the 1990s, along with the Asia Rocsta (which was the Korean licenced Jeep IIRC) - Jeep themselves eventually (re)entered about 3 years later.

billiebob

This Major (CJ-3b) is in tourist service. It's sitting at the top of the hill at the Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur.

Major3.jpg

The Mehrangarh Fort: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehrangarh:

Mehrangarh_Fort.jpg

This lineup of Thars and Majors in tourist service at the Amer Fort near Jaipur.

AmberFortLineup.jpg

The Amer Fort: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amer_Fort:

Amber_Palace_Jaipur_Pano.JPG
been there.....

an all time favourite picture

DSC_0757_2.jpeg

and the tires on our transport

DSC_0895.jpg

The presence of Indian women is amazing. They all carry themselves like royalty.
And regardless of what they do, their clothes are impeccable.

DSC_0003_2_2.jpg

Laundry day, how is it that colours are so brilliant when you are working around mud.

Photo Feb 23, 10 40 08 PM.jpg

India is Incredible. If I could not live in Canada, India would be at the top of my list as an alternate.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles