Cool Jeeps You Can't Have - Mahindra of India

Zeep

Adventurer
I just noticed that Mahindra even copied the Jeep grill badge, on the bottom of the brochure!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The Jeep image below came from a 60's brochure; the Mahindra image is from the 90's ;).

Emblems3.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeep has been competing with Mahindra in India for the past few years with JLs imported to India. Now they're planning to assemble JLs in India. This item was posted on the Team-BHP Forum today (Team-BHP is an Indian automotive forum)

Jeep is set to announce the prices for the locally-assembled Wrangler on March 15.

The fourth generation Wrangler was launched in India in August 2019. It was imported as a completely built unit (CBU) and was priced at Rs. 63.94 lakh (ex-showroom). Last year, Jeep introduced the Wrangler Rubicon priced at Rs. 68.94 lakh.

The Wrangler will now be assembled in India using completely knocked down (CKD) kits. This is expected to bring down the price of the SUV significantly.

The Wrangler is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 264 BHP @ 5,250 rpm and 400 Nm @ 3,000 rpm. The engine is mated to an 8-speed automatic gearbox and a Selec-Trac full-time four-wheel drive system. The Rubicon has the same setup but is a more rugged version of the standard SUV.

An advertisement from India:

JLIndiaAnnouncement.jpg

BTW the price of the imported-to-India Rubicon translates to $95,018.49, the announcement says they prices of the India-assembled CKD JLs is expected to come down.

The competition should be interesting, because the current generation Thar, introduced by Mahindra last year, looks a lot like the current Wrangler, and sells for Rs.12.10 - 14.15 Lakh ($16,677.16 - $19,502.63)

NewThar.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Mahindra made a wide-body version of the Commander called the Maxx.

Maxx3a_zpspllfkag9.jpg

Maxx3b_zpsqzs1zrfe.jpg

I showed this photo before; I've marked on this photo where they widened the body of the Maxx - from the cowl forward everything is standard width; they widened from the cowl back.

HoodWidthMax_zpsrvnowcic.jpg

This next photo shows the width difference in the back; Commander on the left, Maxx on the right.

MarshalVSMaxxWidth_zpsh7fefuxz.jpg

The roof is also taller in the back on the Maxx than it is on the Commander/Marshal and the Maxx also has an overlay on the grille which later showed up on some Commander models in later years, I guess they were trying to modernize the CJ look a bit on a budget.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another Maxx. Looks like this one's lived a rough life. Took this photo in the village of Sawai Madhopur, Rajasthan, outside of the Ranthambore Tiger Preserve.

Maxx2a_zpsut7ncvl4.jpg

The plastic grille shell is broken off so you can see the "CJ-style" grille underneath.

Maxx2b_zpsto2jaouk.jpg

Maxx2c_zpsthmb0nmv.jpg

I came across this video the other day, someone trying to sell a Maxx. Some good views of the Maxx and its interior and some details in this video. You can skip the long monologue in the middle where the guys is standing alone without the vehicle but there are a lot more shots of the Maxx after his monologue.

The price of the Maxx in the video is advertised to be 50,000 rupees, which converts to about $700. Seems a bit low, these typically sell for around $3500-$5000 used.

bitbckt

Maxx decals would be very simple to do in a few minutes on my Cricut but I'm really happy with the Mahindra Savari graphics I made for my JKU so, I think I'll stick with those ;)

SavariGraphics(1).jpg

I didn’t intend that for your Jeep - the Safari graphic is great. Just thinking aloud...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne