Cool .22 Plinking Rifle

ExpoMike

Having always loved the Rugar 10-22 rifle for a nice plinker/small varmant gun, when I saw this new model, I knew I had to have one. It's the new 10-22TD (Take Down) that features a quick release barrel. It allows you to break down or put together the rifle in a matter of seconds but packs away in the included back pack that is small and compact. This is a great feature that allows you to pack a rifle without looking like you have a full size case. Being so compact when broken down, you can pack it into almost any area, which with some of the rigs loaded up, can be a hassle. Outside of the Rugar logo on the back pack, you could carry this around and no one would be the wiser for it. Based on tests/reviews, it has the great accuracy and reliability of past 10-22's. Also being stainless steel, you are likely not going to have any rusting issues if you tend be in damp environments often. I can't wait to try mine out!

rugar1022td.jpg

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Having always loved the Rugar 10-22 rifle for a nice plinker/small varmant gun, when I saw this new model, I knew I had to have one. It's the new 10-22TD (Take Down) that features a quick release barrel. It allows you to break down or put together the rifle in a matter of seconds but packs away in the included back pack that is small and compact. This is a great feature that allows you to pack a rifle without looking like you have a full size case. Being so compact when broken down, you can pack it into almost any area, which with some of the rigs loaded up, can be a hassle. Outside of the Rugar logo on the back pack, you could carry this around and no one would be the wiser for it. Based on tests/reviews, it has the great accuracy and reliability of past 10-22's. Also being stainless steel, you are likely not going to have any rusting issues if you tend be in damp environments often. I can't wait to try mine out!

View attachment 123237

Way cool pack rifle, I guessing you can have "cans" (sound suppressor) there in CA after payment of tax stamp and a 10 month turnaround wait on BATF-NFA items. The technology these days make em way quiet even w/stinger or quick shock rounds and a great small game tool.

p nut

butter
Yet, another Ruger product on my "To Buy" list. Which include the .44 Alaskan, SP101 .22LR, LCR, No. 1(single shot) 22-250.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Way cool pack rifle, I guessing you can have "cans" (sound suppressor) there in CA after payment of tax stamp and a 10 month turnaround wait on BATF-NFA items. The technology these days make em way quiet even w/stinger or quick shock rounds and a great small game tool.

Unfortunately, no suppressors allowed in California.

robert

Expedition Leader
Meh, the Marlin Papoose has been out for years now and it's smaller and lighter. I also find Marlins to generally be more accurate and a much better buy since you can get a used one for under $100 around here. Before anyone starts whining about how accurate their 10/22 is let me ask how much you had to put into it to get it there? Yep, me too- I've got a Ruger factory target gun with Volquartsen upgrades on it that'll easily shoot as well as my Marlin model 60 (that cost me $75 and a home trigger job- oh and I replaced the broken buffer block even though the gun still ran fine).

For that matter I dropped a Volquartsen trigger and bushing kit in 22/45 Lite to make it shoot like it should have from the factory (older MKIIs were excellent guns).

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Meh, the Marlin Papoose has been out for years now and it's smaller and lighter. I also find Marlins to generally be more accurate and a much better buy since you can get a used one for under $100 around here. Before anyone starts whining about how accurate their 10/22 is let me ask how much you had to put into it to get it there? Yep, me too- I've got a Ruger factory target gun with Volquartsen upgrades on it that'll easily shoot as well as my Marlin model 60 (that cost me $75 and a home trigger job- oh and I replaced the broken buffer block even though the gun still ran fine).

For that matter I dropped a Volquartsen trigger and bushing kit in 22/45 Lite to make it shoot like it should have from the factory (older MKIIs were excellent guns).

I respect a man who tinkers and smiths his toys!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader

I would forgo the Ruger if I could find a clean Marlin Papoose for a $100 or under. You just dont see many for sale in my area.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I keep drooling over the break down .22LR rifles. I like the forearm on the Ruger barrel. Rugers have been good to me. I have a single six .22LR/.22 mag revolver and a 22/45 Hunter.
Love Marlins. That papoose is tempting too, however I do sort of have a very early break down .22LR Marlin already:

39A.JPG

Marlin 39A .22LR

22.JPG

A bullet proof tack driver. I think if I need something smaller , or more packable I would opt for the 22/45 Hunter pistol..."still trying to talk myself out of another rifle" ;)

robert

Expedition Leader
Drool- I've lusted after a Marlin 39A for a long time! They are great guns.

I should clarify too- the Marlins that go cheap are the regular 60s, 70s, etc. The Papooses have actually gone way up in price- I paid $110 for my first one brand new when they came out. I have two of the older blued and wooden stocked models. The only mods I've done are DIP charging handles and smoothed up the bolts and some of the small parts.

I do like the Rugers, but they are so lawyer conscious their guns need a decent amount of work to bring them up to where they could/should be. That 22/45 I bought is a very nice shooter now though and will make a great suppressor host. In all fairness, Marlin semi-autos have their issues too. They tend to need cleaning more often. They'll start hanging up after 200 rounds or so.

Riptide

Explorer
Man, I have a sickness with takedown .22's... I have 2 Springfield M6 Scouts, 2 Marlin 39's, and 2 Papooses. And eyeballing that Ruger...

Plus a few 10/22's, and 4 or 5 Model 70's, and 2 Model 60's. Love them all.

Joash

Adventurer
I'm not about to drop any more change on new toys at the moment, but I really enjoyed using a friend's S&W M&P 15-22 and would probably buy one if I didn't already have a 10-22.

stevo

Observer
I like Ruger 10/22s!

I too, must have a sickness; I keep acquiring more and more 10/22s. I presently have a standard mdl. in blue, a standard mdl. in s/s, a compact mdl. in blue, and a Manlicher mdl. in blue. Now the question is: which comes next-the take down mdl. in s/s or the tactical mdl.? Decisions, decisions.
Cheers, Stevo

I opted for the tactical with the target barrel. Shorter rifles are more handy, and thicker barrels are usually more accurate. Not to mention there's enough material on it to turn down for a suppressor if you wanted to. If I was buying another it's probably be a take down just as a plinker, ie no optics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94