Cooking mistakes

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
On a day hike, packed all the food, dishes, stove, etc - after all I am a professional. Someone (could be the guy typing this) never checked the fuel level in the stove. Hiked up hill for three hours, we were dieing for some calories. Got out the lunch, got out the pot and pan, got out the stove, went to light stove - nothing. Thought maybe I needed to prime it some more - nothing. Opened fuel cap - nothing, as dry as could be. Girl friend looks at me with confused look as I tip stove upside down. So we look at what we had with us - 2 freeze dried meals, limited water as we were going to boil water for lunch. Was now 12 noon, we would meet up with the boat at 4 be back to our vehicle by 5:30 if we never died on the way.

A couple hikers a few feet away ask if everything is all right? Explain situation, asked if they have any fuel we could borrow. Sorry we have fuel but will not let you have it, I am now a little annoyed, instead they say come over to our camp and we will make you lunch (we must of looked like people in need). Walk several hundred feet to their "campsite". They have everything you can think of - and more!! They hiked in a grocery store! To start they went through the drink list - wines and beer - cooled in the mountain stream. Appetizers - a list that was too long to remember. Main course - they went through a list and before we could answer they were ready to cook up some steaks for us but we declined. Instead had a selection of cheeses, cold meats, fruit and crackers. Seems these guys get away once a month for a weekend of fishing and like to eat, if we stayed for supper they would have had fresh fish with a 4 course dinner.

All in all the meal was a lot better than the freeze dried meals that we brought. But now on I check the fuel EVERY day before setting out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles