Cook set or Camp Table?

Etoimos

Observer
Of course I'll end up packing something for both of these, but which one do you find more essential for backcountry overland style camping? I have a $100 gift card from work to REI and would like to invest this into either the cook set or table. So which would you pick and why? Feel free to offer up brand/model suggests as well if you have something you really like.

REDONE

[s]hard[/s]MEDIUM Core!
If you're limited to REI, definitely spend that gift card on quality cooking stuff. I've seen NOTHING "outdoor" specific in the way of a table that's markedly better than a $20 "Lifetime" folding table available everywhere except REI.:chef:

dman93

Adventurer
Well, as is often the case I'll be a contrarian. Most cooking equipment other than the stove, and perhaps dishwashing and cleanup supplies, is no different than what you'd use at home, though do I confess to having a camp-only coffee setup. Either raid your kitchen, or pick up a few things at a Goodwill or Dollar Store. But I love our REI camp table with a removable aluminum slatted top that rolls up, and folding base, that all fits in a nylon bag. https://www.rei.com/product/765280/rei-co-op-camp-roll-table
A little lighter than a Lifetime table, and easier to pack away, plus stays cleaner in the bag. We've had ours several years and it's held up well. Though if I had a bigger rig, or built something to slide a flat folding table under the roof of my shell, I could see saving a few bucks and gettting a bigger surface as well.

krick3tt

Adventurer
That is a nice looking able fro REI. I did get one similar from ********'s for $27 on sale with no bag cover. I made a cover from canvas that was left over from another project.
I get most of my cooking utensils from surplus sites, Bed & Bath or thrift stores. After years of backpacking with just one pot to heat food and water in it is great to be able to carry more than the one, of anything.
There is a lot of stuff to get at REI for that gift card. Table for one and some really nifty coffee cups that hold the heat. Happy shopping.

Charles R

Adventurer
I use normal kitchen supplies because to me "camp" cookware feels and acts more like kids toys than real cooking tools. Since I'm carrying it in the truck, the added weight and size of these real tools is justifiable to me.

I say, go for a table.

Etoimos

Observer
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Well, as is often the case I’ll be a contrarian. Most cooking equipment other than the stove, and perhaps dishwashing and cleanup supplies, is no different than what you’d use at home, though do I confess to having a camp-only coffee setup. Either raid your kitchen, or pick up a few things at a Goodwill or Dollar Store. But I love our REI camp table with a removable aluminum slatted top that rolls up, and folding base, that all fits in a nylon bag. https://www.rei.com/product/765280/rei-co-op-camp-roll-table
A little lighter than a Lifetime table, and easier to pack away, plus stays cleaner in the bag. We’ve had ours several years and it’s held up well. Though if I had a bigger rig, or built something to slide a flat folding table under the roof of my shell, I could see saving a few bucks and gettting a bigger surface as well.

I was actually looking at tables similar to that one. It does get quite a few negative reviews about the cross bracing being in the way when you try to sit at it. Since I'm shopping for a 6 day, 3 person trip to Death Valley in my 4 door 2012 Jeep, space and weight is at a premium. That fact that this table folds down pretty small is a big bonus. I do think I can safely mount a more traditional flat folding table between my hard top and roof rack though. Decisions, decisions.

Camp cook wear is nice because it nests and take up way less room that home cook wear. That's what I would go with. I have this and have used it for years. https://www.rei.com/product/830829/gsi-outdoors-bugaboo-base-camper-cookset-large Its in your budget and its hard to find one better for 100 bucks.

I was actually looking at the GSI Bugaboo cook set. It has 4 place settings (we only need 3 really), two pots and a frying pan. Everything nests into the largest pot. The space savings and organization would be a real plus on this trip.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Cook ware with handles that come off often do come off at the worst possible time. Fold up handles do the same thing, they fold up and if they fold or pivot they suck for flipping eggs and other things.

neil d

Those roll up tables pack well, but are small, and really more of a cocktail/snack table than a sit-around table. My most important table is the kitchen table, a Lifetime unit from Costco that is the right height for food prep and cooking. In my camp, folks eat around the campfire, on a tailgate, or standing around. YMMV.

The camping cook sets are tempting, but the fry pans are always the weak link because the metal is so thin. For backpacking I do without, and for truck camping I bring household stuff. Sounds like you might be tight for space, though.

But a hundred bones at REI, I could spend that ina hot minute on a new Dutch oven or a nice camp chair.

Etoimos

Observer
Cook ware with handles that come off often do come off at the worst possible time. Fold up handles do the same thing, they fold up and if they fold or pivot they suck for flipping eggs and other things.

Thanks for that heads up. I thinking about driving in to town to the local REI and checking out the GSI cookware in person just because of that folding handle.

Those roll up tables pack well, but are small, and really more of a cocktail/snack table than a sit-around table. My most important table is the kitchen table, a Lifetime unit from Costco that is the right height for food prep and cooking. In my camp, folks eat around the campfire, on a tailgate, or standing around. YMMV.

The camping cook sets are tempting, but the fry pans are always the weak link because the metal is so thin. For backpacking I do without, and for truck camping I bring household stuff. Sounds like you might be tight for space, though.

But a hundred bones at REI, I could spend that ina hot minute on a new Dutch oven or a nice camp chair.

Space (as well as weight) is at real premium on this trip, so anything that nests or stacks well is a big bonus. I briefly looked at getting a nice camp chair, but thought I'd better not since I could not afford to get three of them and we already have some collapsible chairs that will work just fine on this trip.

dman93

Adventurer
After reading a few of these comments, I realized that we do have a dedicated camping cook pot set that nests, with folding handles and a few bowls, that has held up well for 20+ years, from Target of all places. But as someone said, the frying pans are too thin for even controllable heating, so I use a cast iron frying pan. I agree that the REI folding table is too small for sitting around, we just use it for prep, cooking and cleanup and usually eat and hangout without a table. Comfortable camp chairs are really important for us; when I'm solo I like my little Helinox and with my wife we use bigger chairs we bought at Tepui that are a little heavy/bulky for my taste, but provide much better back support than generic collapsible camp chairs.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
For a nesting cooking set for car camping it doesn't get any better than the Magma set. I bought this set years ago for my ATC and quickly realized it's as good as the Calphalon stuff I use at home.
http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Cookware/A10-362-IND/a10-362-ind.html

I also carry a 10" lodge skillet (I just love cooking on cast iron) and a kettle but it's really all you need and the removable handle is rock solid. It feels like cooking on stainless home stuff (because it is) an not crappy camping stuff.

Kevin108

Explorer
I've had mine about 3 years and I've been really happy with the roll table. I also carry a folding plastic picnic table, but the roll table is aluminum, so you can set hot stuff straight on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94