Convince me I need a fridge!

jus passin thru

Adventurer
My ARB lives in the back of my JKU, it is parked in the garage which gets damm hot here in AZ. I turn it on and 25 mi later when I get to Costco it is 32 and it stays there. On day trips I used to take a 6 pack cooler now to just turn the ARB on this thing is amazing. Sometimes I leave it on for days on end it has a feature that allows you to adjust the battery voltage where it will turn of so you don't kill the starting battery. You could carry a emergency starting box if you are really worried. Mike

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I've got 3 of the silly things now. One more or less permanently mounted in my Ambo, one that was just a good deal, and one that pulls "whatever" duty. Right now it's serving time as a freezer in the garage of my toy hauler, packed with about a months supply of the home made food my dogs get. Making it at home ahead of time sure beat making it on the road, but it needed to be frozen, and this way keeps the the food from taking up space in the main fridges. I love the snot out of the things and don't miss the ice capades one bit.

Stryder106

Explorer
Lots of great advice in this thread. We were using some older low dollar Igloos. Since we are in SoCal, we tend to be in the deserts where it's hotter and we go through A LOT of ice. During a sale, I picked up a 65QT Artic cooler which did better on our last trip but we still had the "food swimming in water" issue. Normally, we also hike so I will use the melted ice to fill my CamelBak with cold water. That doesn't work so well when the potato salad becomes one with the melted ice. It was very frustrating.
//
As soon as we got back from that trip, I started doing my homework and purchased an ARB 63 and the slide. Haven't installed them yet, but will before our next trip. Looking forward to not having to deal with ice or sloshing water with food in it ever again. Already have dual batteries - no solar though. (Yet).

Last edited:

1Louder

Explorer
You need a fridge because I have a fridge. I can also supply you with a long list of other items I own. The more people that buy all the gear I have the more I can justify my purchases!

As for solar you really only new reasonable sun for 2-3 hours to generally keep a battery happy. So don't let camping in the woods scare you off if you can find some direct sun for a short while.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
My ARB runs 24/7/365 in the back of the Tundra. It runs 100% on a solar system completely discrete from the truck system.

It's really one of the more amazing things you will ever buy. In addition to revolutionizing travel, you can do things like go to the grocery store before the health club. Or you're out and about and discover some rare delicacy or a great buy on steaks or something... just throw 'em in the fridge.

I leave the fridge stocked with some things so I can always bug out for a day on a moment's notice. This ends up being a great reserve for the house. Run out of half & half? Grab some in the truck... Run out of beers and you just took a great steak off the grill? Go to the truck!

It's truly something that worked unexpectedly great from day one. Never let me down. Never broke. And has proved to have ancillary benefits that I never thought of.

I'll always have at least one vehicle with a fridge running on solar.

The Artisan

Adventurer
My ARB runs 24/7/365 in the back of the Tundra. It runs 100% on a solar system completely discrete from the truck system.

It's really one of the more amazing things you will ever buy. In addition to revolutionizing travel, you can do things like go to the grocery store before the health club. Or you're out and about and discover some rare delicacy or a great buy on steaks or something... just throw 'em in the fridge.

I leave the fridge stocked with some things so I can always bug out for a day on a moment's notice. This ends up being a great reserve for the house. Run out of half & half? Grab some in the truck... Run out of beers and you just took a great steak off the grill? Go to the truck!

It's truly something that worked unexpectedly great from day one. Never let me down. Never broke. And has proved to have ancillary benefits that I never thought of.

I'll always have at least one vehicle with a fridge running on solar.
whats your amp/hr on the ARB, battery size and solar panel size?
TIA,
Kevin

AndrewP

Explorer
I posted this in a similar thread here on EP in 2010. For the record I still have the Engel I bought in 2003 and it works perfectly. This is still true:

The fridge is the best piece of kit you will ever own. Buy it now.

It is better than:

Snow Peak Pots and Pans
Partner Steel Stoves
All winches but 8274s
Lifting your truck
New Tires
Any amount of lights and other bolt on do-dads
Synthetic Winch Cables
GPS units (all)
Roof Top Tents
Awnings
Heat exchanger showers

It is also way better than:

Soggy bread for sandwiches
Coldcuts you have to dry before use
Blood water
Running out of ice in Death Valley
Spoiled vegetables

It is not as good as true gear reduction if you 4 wheel. But it's better than every other mod and piece of kit you would consider without a second thought.

So buy it and don't look back.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Your requirements are going to be unique to you. I will tell you my experience.

My fridge basically sits indoors as a beer cooler. I don't regret the purchase and I will likely use it camping at times in the future, but I typically use a Coleman Extreme cooler.

My camping trips tend to be a night or two and not too far off the beaten path. With kids, it was kind of a pain having to go to the car to get food and drinks. And your car isn't always parked right next to the sight. Even 50 feet away gets to be a pain when you are cooking. That, and the height of the fridge inside the car wasn't very convenient. I actually had started bringing an extra battery and power cord setup so I could keep it outside the car for convenience.

I was always concerned about it running down the car battery. If I had a dual battery/solar setup, this wouldn't be as concerning. The more remote I am, the more concerning this would be. Even if your car battery will be fine after 2 or 3 days, how far do you want to push it if you are out in the boonies? This always made me uneasy, even with a 100Ah battery.

I don't mind ice. I like drinks from an ice cold cooler dripping wet. Silly, but I like it. I like having ice for drinks and pour the melted ice on the fire pit when I leave. I'm not crazy about wet food, but don't find it too big of a deal - just use ziploc bags. I haven't had to buy additional ice for my short trips, but even for a 5 day trip I would only have to replenish once with my $50 cooler. Whenever I have been on longer trips we always had to go re-stock something in town anyway.

That said, I wouldn't spend $350 on a cooler either given how well the cheaper alternatives stack up against the high end ones (other than durability). I would rather spend that money toward a $500 truckfridge and add a $50 Coleman Xtreme. I personally would probably regret spending $350 on a cooler before I would regret spending $500 on a fridge, although after a few years of use on a Yeti it would become a non-issue.

jk6661

Observer
Marc, so you already have a fridge and don't use it for camping? That's interesting. I also have thought about the inconvenience of having to walk over to the vehicle all the time (unless you want to lug the fridge AND the 75-pound battery over to the cooking/eating area). For people who camp in the boonies and use a RTT or can park right next to their ground tent, it's not an issue. But that's not always the case at established campsites. Is there any other reason you don't take the fridge camping?

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
No, it is mostly a convenience issue along with "battery drain anxiety". I am sure I will use it again for camping at some point, but the cooler is my go to solution. Even at established campgrounds, where the car may only be 20 or 30 feet away, it got old (which was why I started exactly what you said - lug the fridge and extra battery to the site). Even worse if I felt the need to keep the car locked.

I should also add it is a bit more inconvenient to load up. Either you have to bring all your stuff to the car or load it up and bring it to the car and heave it in. Mine weighs a fair bit more than my cooler, loaded or unloaded. I have an Edgestar which has a metal skin. Not sure if an Engel or ARB is appreciably lighter.

Fridges have their place, don't get me wrong. But for family camping with kids going in and out of the cooler/fridge, it is a cooler for me. If I was solo or it was just an adult couple and we were going deeper into the wilderness for longer durations, I could see myself going back to the fridge.

Just a few threads down from this one are some pretty good "value coolers" like the Coleman Extreme Marine and the Wally World Yeti knockoff. If you are in the Metro DC area, I am more than willing to let you borrow my fridge for awhile to see how you like using a fridge. Since I switched back to the cooler, I haven't yet wished I had the fridge. But this is based on short duration family camping.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I also have a fridge and don't like it as much as I thought I would. I have since bought a coleman xtreme marine and it works fine. Fridge is great if you're driving daily but when you park for 3 days out east in 80 degree weather you need a huge battery to keep it running at safe food temps and solar is a challenge due to canopy. Another issue is maintaining airflow around the fridge....if it gets blocked it will chew through power. I haven't bought that second huge battery yet as I have yet to decide if it's worth the additional cost and hate chasing solutions in search of a problem.

100ah battery will get you about 50-60 hours of run time in the warm SE if you want to run the battery to a level that will make it last for a few years.

Last edited:

xbombtek

Observer
I don't have a fridge and have not ever experienced one in the field. I live in NM and it gets hot here. I still go camping and manage to survive with a couple of 10 year old Coleman coolers. I spent a few years in the Middle East and didn't have a cooler in the field there either. Again, I managed to survive.

That said, if someone were to give me one, I'd be hella stoked! But, for me and where I spend time and what I do while there, there's really no need to make the buy. It's almost like buying one of the pricey fancy coolers. I'd love to give one a shot, but I'm not willing to spend the green right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94