Convict lake cold weather lessons

Dirt Rider

Went to convict lake last week on a shake down to see how the camper did in cold weather and learned the following:
At 15 F the can of propane screwed into the buddy heater only lasted half the night on low setting. 2 only lasted till the early morning. The low setting with windows cracked kept me warm with several blankets. I hate sleeping bags BTW.
Altitude there is about 8k. The four wheel camper soft sides don't like to fold at that temp. A thermal kit would have helped. My Cummins does not like to start at that temp when not plugged in to a block heater. A bear can make my friend scream like a little girl. Fishing was not so good, but awesome place. Think I will stick to warm temps for now, but these trips help me know what to expect.

best fishing pix.JPGc lake camp.JPG

Wilbah

Adventurer
In that 2nd pic is that an ice fishing tent? I wondered if one of those would be a decent option for winter camping.

eyemgh

I had to switch propane tanks at 2AM on a 15° night once. What a rude way to wake up! ?

WOODY2

Adventurer
I had to switch propane tanks at 2AM on a 15° night once. What a rude way to wake up! ?
Better bag, no need to get out and get colder to hope to get warmer. Just pop a couple of these in your bag and say goodnight. And yes they do last 18 hrs.
hot hands copy 2.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior