Convict lake cold weather lessons

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Went to convict lake last week on a shake down to see how the camper did in cold weather and learned the following:
At 15 F the can of propane screwed into the buddy heater only lasted half the night on low setting. 2 only lasted till the early morning. The low setting with windows cracked kept me warm with several blankets. I hate sleeping bags BTW.
Altitude there is about 8k. The four wheel camper soft sides don't like to fold at that temp. A thermal kit would have helped. My Cummins does not like to start at that temp when not plugged in to a block heater. A bear can make my friend scream like a little girl. Fishing was not so good, but awesome place. Think I will stick to warm temps for now, but these trips help me know what to expect.

View attachment 688099View attachment 688100
Do you have a 1st gen Cummins? My buddy hunts in Colorado at very high altitude and freezing weather with his '99 and it starts right up. The only brand he's seen struggle is the Powerstrokes. I love the tent.

billiebob

kept a window cracked as well as the ceiling vent, made sure to have ventilation. have C02 and propane detectors, appreciate the concern and it is a real danger.
CO is heavy, roof vent does nothing. If the open window is above yer head it does nothing. CO pools at the lowest level and that is why garages, service stations no longer have pits, they only use overhead lifts to work under cars. CO is the silent killer, you won't even know yer dying, ya just won't wake up.

The internet is full of stupid theories, hopefully the readers have the intelligence to research the truth..

Yes, thousands of people survive for years ........ until they don't. Kinda like drunk driving, no problem until it is.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
CO2 is heavy, roof vent does nothing. If the open window is above yer head it does nothing. CO2 pools at the lowest level and that is why garages, service stations no longer have pits, they only use overhead lifts to work under cars. CO2 is the silent killer, you won't even know yer dying, ya just won't wake up.

The internet is full of stupid theories, hopefully the readers have the intelligence to research the truth..

Yes, thousands of people survive for years ........ until they don't. Kinda like drunk driving, no problem until it is.
72A05594-D505-4E9A-B3A9-C4CCBBEE9DF1.png
DD0307EB-0EEA-4A0A-8595-53C40D66905E.png

Last edited:

billiebob

there ya go, no end to the possibilities for errors on the internet,,,, but yes, extremely dangerous....
how many of us have CO detectors in our overlander ??

I'll go with this....

Garage door half open,
car idling 20 minutes after remote start,
3 men unconscious a few hours later even tho the door to the house was shut
even tho the overhead door was shut

and the fire chief said CO gasses hang low

Smoke detectors mount on the ceiling because.... smoke rises.
CO detectors mount low on the wall because..... CO gasses hang low.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles