Converting Whelen 900s/Similar Scene lighting to LED?

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yep, it sounds like you're on the right track. I wanted to try this, but I was looking for just the right LED emitters to use.

Once you get a real world test, like in a field, etc. you'll know a lot more.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yep, I see a lot of possibilities there. I think I'm just going to hang a mirror ball on the side of mine and be done with it! mirrorballs.gif

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Thanks for the inspiration, gentlemen! I found small baking pans and am going that route. I'll post pics when that's done, so see how it turned out.

jblaze5779

Observer
Had some of these flanges made up a local place down here. The lights are LED floods from amazon. I'm not to concerned about the quality of the lights but moreso with getting the red lenses and halogen fixtures off the van.

20161030_180528.jpg

20161030_180532.jpg

20161030_181439.jpg

IMG_20161030_201736.jpg

rlrenz

Explorer
Looks good. Since I'm not planning on staying "off the grid" in mine, I replaced all the red & blue lenses with new amber lenses -- at $47 per each. Here in MN, amber lenses mean that you're a construction or service vehicle, so they're OK. I'm a member of the USCG Auxiliary, so there is a chance that my buggy may be involved in an activity that needs warning lights.

When I purchased my Medic Master, it had a 120 volt halogen floodlight on each side - 500 watt on the passenger side, and 250 watt on the driver's side. These were removed and replaced with some Chinese wonders, but these will be replaced with some Tecniq LED worklights in the near future

DSCN4894.JPG DSCN4897.JPG

patoz

Expedition Leader
Had some of these flanges made up a local place down here. The lights are LED floods from amazon. I'm not to concerned about the quality of the lights but more so with getting the red lenses and halogen fixtures off the van.

View attachment 373178

View attachment 373179

At one time, I had planned on doing the same thing using the Rigid D2 version lights. However, they are 3 3/16" deep and my Type III module body walls are only 2" thick. The only way to make them work is to cut into the cabinet's back walls inside, and I don't want to do that.

So now my plan is to so as Bob just mentioned, and use the TecNiq SteelHead Heavy Duty Work Lights, which are only 2" deep. I will need to get some recessed boxes or have some build to mount them in.

Abitibi

Explorer
Hey guys

Patoz suggested I'd post my solution for the side scene lights. I've already posted on my build thread and in the general ambo FAQ thread so forgive the duplication.

Like most of you I needed a solution for my side lights. Mine were painted over when they decommissioned my ambo so either I bought new lenses and dealt with the average existing lights or came up with a better solution.

I had my idea from the get go but instead of building my own aluminum recessed box I decided to start baking ;) Can't take credit for the idea, just made it work for my needs. .. And I needed 2"depth max to fit between the ambo studs.

This is what i started with, beats building my own!
73fe98827d8496c406ad740ec8cf075f.jpg

Only problem is I needed 9"x7" boxes to fit both the lights and the ambo design. I could have kept the baking tray as is (9"x9") but it would have looked funny. So, cut 2" off and re-welded it.

View attachment 378624
View attachment 378625

Drilled a few holes for mounting the light, running the wire and to screw it against the body then off to powder coating.

b5df6fd8238bb74ceb93c51bfcadd758.jpg

As for lights, I found these nice thin 5" LED's from my favorite light store.

359a0b5fc8181e5e7de58e69e4516a77.jpg

All together and ready to replace my 15 yrs old useless side scene lights :D

44506c82cdf806d03c1cd3eaf6fb74f5.jpg

e97d90c06d183255ac6c035c607842d8.jpg

Just need to cut the old lights opening on my ambo a bit larger, apply a new seal and secure in place. Just need

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

patoz

Expedition Leader
Hey, great to see the progress on those baking pans!

Here's another LED option I just found. It's a flat panel, 6"x6" square. Not sure if/how this square would fill the inner Whelen space, might have to trim the housing to get it to fit behind the lens.

The thing puts out 400lm, and draws ~7 watts.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...task-light-6in-x-6in/2081/#/tab/Photos&Videos

View attachment 380243

If nothing else, they look like they might be a good low profile replacement for the interior ceiling lights.

cjken

Explorer
Those panels look pretty neat. I may get 1 or two to test when I have some time.
I'm still looking for a cost effective solution to converting the 12 scene lights on my truck.
Thanks for the link.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Apparently, these are for inside use only, since I don't see anything about them being waterproof. Of course they could be mounted in some kind of housing, but then it gets complicated and the price goes up. I also wonder how hot they get since I don't see any kind of heat sink.

I measured a 900 series lens, and this light panel will fit inside the perimeter with about 3/8" on the top and bottom each, so it may be possible to mount them directly to the old reflector using some brackets.

eporter

Adventurer
Yeah, I chatted w/ them and they said it's not waterproof. Not sure I'd recommend it for a utility trailer though, since those can be high humidity. I think it would make a great inside bench/cot light replacement. Super thin for all that light.

I'm thinking the metal back is the heat sink. The panel has 36 3020 SMD LEDs, so it's probably the 36 LEDs on a circuit board, mounted on the metal. That's a lot like the current big panel LED ceiling lights for houses.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94