Converting Whelen 900s/Similar Scene lighting to LED?

qcdstick

Wondering if these consume 75w, or are "equivalent brightness" to a 75w incandescent bulb? A true 75 watt draw would be an awful lot of heat.

Betarocker

Adventurer
75W is not unrealistic for 25 LED chips. ~6A current. But yes, the heat could be a problem. There is a thought that LEDs don't generate heat, which is true to an extent as the emitted light has no (or little) radiating heat, but the driver can get extremely hot.

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
When I purchased the lights, they were $12.99. Two days later, they were $14.99. When I checked today, they were $17.99.

Too bad, they were a decent deal at $13 but at $18 I'd rather look for a company that's not going to raise the price every few days.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
When I purchased the lights, they were $12.99. Two days later, they were $14.99. When I checked today, they were $17.99.

Too bad, they were a decent deal at $13 but at $18 I'd rather look for a company that's not going to raise the price every few days.
Be glad you are south of the 49th. Even though I am technically I am south of the 49th, they are $65.39 here…

So be glad, it could be much worse.
Our dollar is a bit weaker, but $50ish USD is a bit steep. If I buy them from .com they are marginally better at $17.99 + $9.75 USD shipping (supposedly no fees on top) which is about $20 USD better.
80B68A23-58DE-491F-939F-6977ECE7037C.jpeg

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
Just to close the loop on my portion of the thread, I didn't drill any additional holes and left the light on for about about 90 mins to see what would happen. At an ambient temp of 68, the lens was 75, and the hottest part of the housing inside the enclosure was 93.. This was measured with a heat gun and the whelen body must've acted like a heat sink because it wasn't even warm to the touch. Overall, for the ease of retrofit and the initial low cost, it was a solid purchase. Unfortunately, the price jumped again and at last check it was $20 (started at $13).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior