Converting Coleman stove

robert

Expedition Leader
I have an older Coleman stove (actually two of them) and am wondering if they can be converted to run unleaded like the Dual Fuel models? I know that Coleman fuel, or white gas as it used to be called, is a more refined petroluem. Can you swap the generators out or is there soemthing else different about them?

I know there are propane conversions but I hate those cylinders and would rather be able to top off my stove from my Jerry can.

Thanks

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Back in the 70's my dad was running our Colman stoves and lanterns on "super unleaded" all the time with no modifications. I never recall an issue. He was too cheap to buy the special fuel. It was a little temperamental but not bad.

I run the propanes because less chance of a spill of fuel but super unleaded is cheaper (if you are buying bottles and tossing them) and you could use your spare fuel for the vehicle to run the stove. Saves the space of all the little propane bottles so it does have several advantages.

gjackson

FRGS
If your stove runs on white gas, it will run on unleaded. The only issue with the generator will be if you run leaded gas. Then you have to clean the generator periodically to get rid of the deposits. Also, leaded will burn dirtier. But unleaded should be no prob.

cheers

robert

Expedition Leader
Well I got directed to Coleman's website on another board and they have this:

Can I use unleaded gas instead when Coleman® Fuel is recommended?

Unleaded gas should only be used in Coleman® appliances marked as “Dual Fuel™” or Unleaded Fuel” and only the lowest octane unleaded gas available should be used. Unleaded gas contains additives that are more difficult to vaporize than the gas itself and the higher the octane rating of the fuel, the more additives mixed with the gas. Unleaded gas from Canada should never be used in any Coleman® appliance, even the “Dual Fuel™” and “Unleaded”, as there is an additive in the fuel which will damage the tank, valve, generator and burner assembly.

Coleman® “Dual Fuel™” and Unleaded” appliances have been designed to handle the additives in unleaded gas. The use of unleaded gas in any Coleman® appliance designed for use only with Coleman® Fuel can result in a rapid build-up of carbon in the generator and damage to the rust-resistant coating inside the fuel tank. The cost savings in using unleaded fuel in a Coleman® Fuel appliance would be rapidly offset by the cost of replacing the generator and eventually the fuel tank or entire appliance.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/faq/faqreturn.asp?question=16

I had actually looked on their website and didn't find their FAQs originally. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but white gas is only a more refined version of unleaded. I can understand the additives part, and I can even imagine it gumming things up a little faster, but I can't imagine it being cost effective for them to produce two different setups.

Looking at the parts, they appear the same (not that that's scientific I know). I was hoping to be able to just swap the generator or maybe even just buy another tank with regulator/generator but I can't find them without either buying the whole stove or buying the seperate parts.

Hmm, maybe I'll just hit up Ebay for a used one.........

I had thought about buying the propane conversion, but I'm kind of partial to the gas for some reason- Probably nostalgia from camping with my folks when I was a kid is the only reason I can think of.

I had one of those refill adaptors to fill your one pound tank off a twenty pounder but I can't find it.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I read this info at the Coleman site the other day..........

~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Based on Coleman comparative testing of liquid fuel vs. pressurized propane burn times.

gas_60.jpg

1 gallon Coleman® Liquid Fuel= 4.5 cylinders of Coleman® Propane

~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is for informational purpose's ONLY!........Your own ability to blow yourself up, will help you decide which is right for you!........:shakin: ...........:jump:

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles