Converting a 4x2 XJ to 4x4

Clay

Adventurer
What is involved? Looking at the front end it seems fairly straight forward, what about tranny to transfercase conversions?

I've searched for quite a while now all over the net, with little luck. Maybe I'm just using the wrong terms, but still no luck.

The vehicle is a 2001 XJ with a 4.0 and auto tranny.

Any one have any pointers?

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Swap the front axle, Swap the transmission for a 4wd Transmission and case. Axles. Cut hole in floor for shifter. Plumb the central Disconnect.

John90XJ

Adventurer
The axle part of the swap is actually very easy. Since the later models don't use a central vacuum disconnect, it's just a matter of installing the axle. Look for a high pinion axle from an earlier model as they afford a little more ground clearance than the common late model low pinion D30 and make sure it has no disconnect. If you're lucky you'll find the larger Dana Spicer 297 joints which are considerably stronger than the stock 260 joints. Look for an axle from a rig that had ABS and you may find them.

The last swap I was involved was a pre-'97 model so some of what you may experience may be a little different. That said, the 2WD models usually had access plates screwed into place under the carpet for the t-case shifter and the console needed only to have a plastic cover removed to provide access for the lever.

Choose the transfer case based on how you will use it. There were 2 available when your Jeep was built. A 242 allows full time 4WD on the highway and the 231 will give you a part-time case that allows you to upgrade to a 2 Low kit. This gives you rear wheel drive in low range....very nice on tight trails and on Moab slickrock. Make sure the t-case is compatible with your speedo output that should be on the tailshaft housing on the transmission. It will be moved to your t-case when the swap is complete. If the vehicle is lifted, or will be, consider doing a slip yoke eliminator now and using a CV style rear driveshaft.

The transmission is the only questionable piece as it might have an extension on the housing converting it to 2WD use that could be removed. I honestly don't know the answer to that. I would suggest posting the question on NAXJA.com or at my club's site, www.PNWJeep.com.

After that, it should only be a matter of adding the correct drivelines.

If you want full functionality, you would want to investigate whether the wiring exists for adding the t-case to the system so the dash lights work. The lights may actually be there but just not connected. Personally, I wouldn't bother as you should be able to tell what drive mode you're in based on shifter position and input from the vehicle's behavior.

Hope this helps.

John

Clay

Adventurer
I'm not super-concerned about it, I am not 100% sure I want to even do the project. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it, or if it would be better to just get something else that is already a 4x4. If there isn't too many crazy things to think about then I will probably do it.

Thanks for the answers.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Clay, i converted my 2WD Cherokee to 4WD back in 01. Personally, i had my rolled XJ to use for parts so cost was low.

John above {Welcome to EXPO John!) has given you some good input, A 4WD swap in an XJ is total bolt in and can be done cheaply. You will need to swap your AW-4 automatic transmission as the the output shaft is ~7" longer than a 4WD output shaft and will not accept a transfer case to it.

You residing in Colorado Springs i have to wonder what the 2WD XJ would bring if you attempt to sell/trade for a 4WD version. Your also in a great area for gathering Jeep parts and assistance to get this conversion completed.

As mentioned you can search at www.naxja.org for 4WD conversions. We even have a CO Chapter and people in your area who may be able to help gathering parts and doing the conversion. Lotts good guys out that way.

:Mechanic:

bovw

Explorer
I can't help tech wise, but I have often wondered why Jeep even made a 2WD version of anything. Seems to defeat the purpose of what people buy Jeeps for. Of course the same could be said for 2WD tahoes, Explorers, and Expeditions.

Clay

Adventurer
My wife inherited it from her Grandfather how is from Phoenix, AZ and we are only in Colorado for a couple of more weeks. The plan is to pick it up on our way back to Northern California when I am done working out here. I'm not too sure why anyone would buy a 2 wheel version, but obviously they sold a few. I believe that he bought it off of a rental car lot, but I'm not completely sure at this point. I surely wouldn't have bought one, but thats just me and I'm not from Arizona.

What would be totally helpful is if someone could point me to a FAQ that has info on what equipment came in what years of XJ's and then I could get an idea what I need to look out for. Any one know of such a thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior