Converting a 1991 E350 to 4x4?

gtbensley

Explorer
Possibly thinking of purchasing a 91 E350 that is currently a 2wd rig. I know the kits available are for 4th gen vans not 3rd gens. What would I be looking at to swap one of these? The tranny is an E40D so that should be easy enough but how about the rest?

I am not a fabricator or welder. Bolt on for the most part is how I would need to be able to do it, although I do have some friends who are talented welders who could help. Am I out of luck? Not a whole lot of info out there it seems on how to do this.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Weldtech was working on 2WD lift for those vans. I'd consider if you want 4WD or just the extra clearance and travel.

As far as I know there's no prebuilt 4WD kits.

gtbensley

Explorer
I use the 4x4 more for snow and such, sometimes mud. I am tempted to just buy it and keep my ambo. Maybe the weight of the conversion and chains would be okay.

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
OP, I'm in the process of doing the same, converting a 1990 E250 RV. I bought a complete chassis from a 2000 E350 4x4 Quigley Van, and I'm transferring the 4x4 parts - axles, suspension, etc. to the E25. So it's pretty much bolt-on, with the exception of trimming (plasma cut) the under-engine cross-member and Tig-welding a reinforcement lip protruding up where the cut is. As for the transmission and tcase, I'm stealing my Bronco's E4OD/BW1356 drivetrain.

There are a few fabricators in this/these forum(s) that could provide the necessary kit but I opted for one that gives me the visualization of how it's put together.

Last edited:

VANMAN

Observer
I STILL have a DANA44HD 8 Lug 3.55 gears that came off of my 1990 E350 Quigley Ford Van...Same body style as yours and will bolt right on...I will sell it Cheap...been waiting for someone with same body style who needs it...In a month or 2 I may also have the 1356 Transfer case with Adapter that bolts onto an E4OD....everything you need to convert to 4X4...

Yes many people would say it needs to be a Dana 60...but this axle did work with no problems for many years under the van....

This is probably the cheapest way to convert to 4x4...

Located in Reno, NV...will sell cheap...make me an offer I want it out of my garage...

(Yes I did put a Dana 60 under my van....but I went with ARB's...lot more power...serious back country driving...bigger tires etc...) For your application this may work just fine...and BTW I did all of the same before with Dana44 and no problems at all....I am just in process of completely going thru van...read $$$

VANMAN

Observer
PS...Probably putting an ORD magnum box with NP205 under van so BW1356 may be available in a month or so...maybe earlier working out details....

PS...Yeah I know magnum box is overkill...so what? I want it! LOL!

VANMAN

Observer
Sorry..traveling and I'm brain dead...Axle has 4 link...everything you need except 2 brackets that bolt 4 link to frame....easy to fab...I would take pics...measurements...and send it to you if you wanted axle

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
I STILL have a DANA44HD 8 Lug 3.55 gears that came off of my 1990 E350 Quigley Ford Van...Same body style as yours and will bolt right on...I will sell it Cheap...been waiting for someone with same body style who needs it...In a month or 2 I may also have the 1356 Transfer case with Adapter that bolts onto an E4OD....everything you need to convert to 4X4...

Yes many people would say it needs to be a Dana 60...but this axle did work with no problems for many years under the van....

Located in Reno, NV...will sell cheap...make me an offer I want it out of my garage...

(Yes I did put a Dana 60 under my van....but I went with ARB's...lot more power...serious back country driving...bigger tires etc...) For your application this may work just fine...and BTW I did all of the same before with Dana44 and no problems at all....I am just in process of completely going thru van...read $$$

If only I had known you have it, the Dana 44 TTB would have been OK with me. I have the Quigley Dana 60 there now, so . . . too late.

jimmydangle

Hey there,
I stumbled across this thread while doing plenty of research about my 1991 E350 7.3IDI 4x4. The front end has a Dana44 on leafs with all sorts of junkyard build problems. Just curious if you still have this Dana 44 set up mentioned? And or other advice.

I am planning to use full size bronco radius arm kit parts (James Duff) for coils and fabing up brackets for trac bar, and adding proper steering and so forth.

I originally came onto this thread to figure about cutting out, or cutting clearance into the original 2wd crossmember so my pumpkin doesn’t knock. As well in the future to make clearance should I need up the front to a Dana 60 due to IDI engine stresses.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all for your knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles