Converted Xpedition Stove

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Folded dimensions are 12"x3" for the main portion with a 8" long tail for the hoses and control valves. My modifications added another 4" to the tail.

The burner rests are 6". I can fit my 9" cast iron and small sauce pan on the 2 burners comfortably.
That thing can handle some serious cooking!

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I finally had the opportunity to do some field testing with this beast. I love it. The only downside is the typical propane noise. Not a fan, but with the heat on demand, the adjustability, and all other aspects, this will be my go to stove for a long time to come.

Over the weekend I snuck out for a remote camping spot near the Southwest corner of Kansas where it meets up with Oklahoma and Colorado. Cimarron Nation Grassland is beautifully baron and remote.
20221210_181155 by Tim, on Flickr

Dinner consisted of tea and salmon with asparagus. Break out the kitchen... I brought my Coleman dual fuel as a backup in case I had problems with the Xpedition. It just ended up taking space.

Tea first! It was chilly but no wind to speak of and clear skies. It was supposed to be a cold one...
20221210_183723 by Tim, on Flickr

Tea in hand it was time to break out the rest of dinner.

20221210_185240 by Tim, on Flickr

20221210_190649 by Tim, on Flickr

The stove was up to task, easily adjustable and just about perfect for my needs. The fact that it folds up and weighs very little is a HUGE bonus. The biggest down side is the sound. The number one thing I despise about propane. I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantage though.

Last edited:

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Now that I've got a couple trips under my belt with this thing. I've discovered a couple annoying traits. First off, the noise. It's not particularly loud, but it's there. Second the heat output seems to be a bit inconsistent. One trip it worked great and put out plenty of heat, the next (similar temperatures) output seemed a bit anemic. Cooking happened, but it was eventual. Could have just been me eager to have some hot tea, so who knows? I still love this thing and highly recommend this type of setup.

One of the few pix I took on my last trip... Tree store.
20230114_142854 by Tim, on Flickr

TwinStick

Explorer
I think that's pretty friggin cool. Good for you for rescuing it from the state it was in. It's getting more and more difficult to do that with modern day gear.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Now that I've got a couple trips under my belt with this thing. I've discovered a couple annoying traits. First off, the noise. It's not particularly loud, but it's there. Second the heat output seems to be a bit inconsistent. One trip it worked great and put out plenty of heat, the next (similar temperatures) output seemed a bit anemic. Cooking happened, but it was eventual. Could have just been me eager to have some hot tea, so who knows? I still love this thing and highly recommend this type of setup.

One of the few pix I took on my last trip... Tree store.
20230114_142854 by Tim, on Flickr

Such a cool project. It really got me thinking. I do think you should address the Jets. They're designed for liquid fuel and you're now doing propane. Shouldn't be too hard to find a jet that was built for the job.

So searching around for something close to this on the market. I found the following:

BRS-32 Lightning Double Head Stove
https://m.aliexpress.us/item/325680...cy7kEVc&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Sort of a neat interpretation of this design. Maybe sort of a rip off even. But it has integrated windscreens and best of all it has generator tubes so that you can invert your isubutane canister in cold weather. Ordered one last week and it should land next week. I will report back.

Screenshot_20230204_135806_Chrome.jpg

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Sorry to hijack, but here are a few shots of the unit I mentioned above, it landed today. The burner heads are pretty small but look like they project out well. Note the generator tubes and the hose is pretty flexible with rotating rings on the valve for upside down canister operation. Should be good in the cold. I've owned about 5 of the BRS units and they all perform well. Pretty sure they produce a bunch of the name brand stoves.

The linking/expanding parts are all sturdy anodized aluminum. Really like the built in stainless wind screens. Pretty nifty design overall. A little heavy so not for backpacking I'll bring it along as a backup and on lightweight quick camping trips. Probably about 2lbs so much lighter and compact than a conventional double burner stove. I'll light it up this weekend.

20230208_175217.jpg

20230208_175226.jpg
20230208_175246.jpg
20230208_175556.jpg
20230208_175617.jpg
20230208_190519.jpg

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
No worries...
That's very cool! Please let us know how it works for you! I really love the design of this and the Coleman. It's especially useful when your adventure rig is limited on space, can't speak to motorcycles, but Jeep TJ's are pretty tight when you start loading up camp gear, adventure gear, bikes, clothes etc. This collapsible design is perfect for that. Thanks for sharing your very cool discovery!

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Long term update. I started to run into some issues with flame control. It was very inconsistent and became difficult to control. I used it once with a coleman oven. It worked well, but without shielding below it made quite an impact on my plastic folding table. Lack of planning on my part.
Overall, its coolness factor is pretty high. But factoring in the issues that have popped up and the fact that I really don't like cooking with propane, it may just end up being a backup stove.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94