Convert 2019/20 4x2 Fuso 140 FE (gas) to 4x4?

Mr M

Hi folks - new to the forum here (first post) and kinda new to cabover/medium-duty trucks as well. Thanks in advance for any input from the knowledgable folks on these boards! Hoping the folks at Earthcruiser might chime in with some specific info?

Thinking about doing a camper build starting from a 2019/20 Fuso 140 FE cab/chassis (134 inch wheelbase). In the US, this means a gas engine and a 4x2 drivetrain. I’d like to have 4x4 capability, mostly for driving in winter conditions (anyone have experience with a 4x2 Fuso in snow?).

So, I’m curious about the feasibility/cost of a 4x2 to 4x4 conversion on a Fuso and would love to get some input from the folks here - any thoughts?

Through my preliminary searching I see that Earthcruiser appears to make this conversion as part of their overall process of building their newer expedition vehicles, so they’ve shown the feasibility I guess? However I’m as much interested in the overall DIY project as I am in the eventual use of the finished camper for road-trips, so I’d like to build rather than buy, even though the Earthcruisers do look fantastic!

I’d like to get a basic cab/chassis and start from there but it’d be useful to get more details about what I’m getting into, specifically for the 4x4 conversion:

1. parts availability/cost in the US - I assume parts are available because Earthcruiser must source from somewhere and looks like US-manufactured Allison tranny/GM V8 engine so nothing too exotic right? Other necessary parts such as compatible transfer-case, new axles/SS wheels are also available in the US right?
  2. likelihood of finding an auto-shop capable of doing the work - can this job be done by most competent mechanics or is it highly Fuso-specialized?
  3. need for any major modifications to the drivetrain/chassis - i’m hoping the overall chassis/suspension is similar between US 4x2 models and currently available 4x4 models in the rest of the world? i.e. if I get a 134 inch wheelbase model things should be fairly straightforward? Or not?

For some context, I’m also considering a camper van DIY conversion, e.g. MB Sprinter or Ford Transit - these are $50-65K vehicles (new) with factory 4x4 (and a shell/box). If a new 4x2 Fuso is in the $35-40K range, this “leaves” $10-15K for a 4x4 conversion, which sounds like plenty to me but maybe I’m way off? I’d also need to fabricate a box for the Fuso but that sounds like a fun project!

Just trying to get a feel for the Fuso 4x2 to 4x4 conversion feasibility/ballpark cost. One option is to get the 4x2, make the camper and try it out - maybe I can get by without 4x4? But, would like to avoid getting a 4x2, making the camper and then finding it impossible to convert to 4x4 down the road if it turned out I needed it.

Eager to hear your thoughts!

Cheers
Mr M

biggoolies

Adventurer
They are a heavier duty truck. Others may chime in on this. there was a company in Florida doing Isuzu conversions but it looks like they are not doing it anymore.
Doubtful Earthcruiser will give you any info on details about what they are doing. in the past they have been tight lipped about what they do.

Last edited:

biggoolies

Adventurer
Your best bet is to look for a used fuso FG. Hard to find but not impossible. make sure it has not been abused in the commercial aspect and rusty. To convert a truck to 4x4 is a heck of a lot of work and time. Unless you are a mechanical genius like some on here best to stay away.

gregmchugh

Observer
They are a heavier duty truck. Others may chime in on this. there was a company in Florida doing Isuzu conversions but it looks like they are not doing it anymore.
Doubtful Earthcruiser will give you any info on details about what they are doing. in the past they have been tight lipped about what they do.

Earthcruiser has been pretty public about all the components used in their 4wd conversion but some of these parts may be specialized for them and not be readily available. Dynatrak axles, Method wheels, ARB lockers, Hero transfer case, and the shocks are public but I don’t recall the brand. They have also customized the transmission calibration as I recall.

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
I believe the axles they used alone cost $15000. Which coincidentally is about the cost of a used fuso 4x4.

carterd

Some general thoughts:

1. You could try to replicate as best you can the EarthCruiser approach. EarthCruiser uses custom Dynatrac ProRock 80 axles front and rear. Dynatrac's list price for the ProRock 60 front/80 rear configured for a Jeep JK is $19,000, and would require a fair amount of fabrication (spring hangers, shock mounts, steering knuckle, brackets, etc). EarthCruiser retains ABS functionality with the correct tone rings in the axles, which would be difficult. Not sure what axle weight rating these have, but it would likely less than stock Fuso axles. Then you add in a Hero transfer case for $3500+ with custom adapter, bracketry, shifter, and drivelines. Then you have to figure out steering and overall integration (brakes, emergency brakes, speedo, etc.). This is not for the faint of heart and would required a fabricator well-versed in such matters.

2. Find a used Chevy 3500 heavy duty 4x4 single rear wheel pickup truck and transplant the components. These came with the 6.0 liter Vortec V8 and 6 speed Allison transmission, so integration of the transfer case and drivelines would be a bit easier. They had pretty beefy axles as well. This would be cheaper than the first option, but you'd be dealing with used components.

3. Go full-on custom ala Rebelzilla. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/isuzu-npr-4x4-beast-rebelzilla-by-rebel-off-road.144320/

In addition to off-road fabrication/racing shops, another option to consider is shops that do 4x4 conversions to commercial/government vehicles (oil and gas, forest service, fire services). Examples are Tulsa Truck manufacturing and Monroe Trucks.

I think you could easily spend as much on the 4x4 conversion as the truck itself.

dlh62c

Explorer
Keep in mind these truck are considered commercial, then add a DIY conversion on the back and you'll find that sourcing vehicle insurance becomes problematic, but not impossible. With a good set of tires that have an aggressive tread pattern, a 2WD vehicle will take you a lot of places.

If you can find a used 2WD with a Morgan NexGen cargo body that's in great shape, you're half way there. Toss in a mattress or a couple of cots and hit the road.

Don't remove the 4x4 Sprinter option off the table.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94