Continental MPT81 on Non-Beadlock wheels?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
There are many reasons why all the European spare no expense Overland/expo builders like Unicat, Bliss, etc use super single on their trucks. And remember they have very strict oversight from the TÜV (Technischer Überwachungsverein). The same reasons that EarthRoamer, EarthCruiser, etc in the US goes to the trouble and expense of converting to super singles. And pretty much every company that modifies trucks as 'Fire Brush Trucks'. And why Unimogs are built from the factory with super singles. And why regular everyday home-builders will beat their heads against the wall trying to get super singles to work on their trucks (C4500s, I'm looking at you), or spending $,$$$+ to put them on their F450/550-Dodge/Chevy4500/5500s. If you search for 'super+single' here on the Portal, there is much 'enlightenment'.

OK. The Mercedes Zetros in its’ most mega HD configuration like the 6x6 3643 and 4043 comes with dual 14.00R20 XZLs on the rear 2 axles. Also 360-400hp and 16 speed transmission.
It’s used as a tractor unit for main battle tank transport, on sand for instance.
It would be wasteful, expensive and idiotic to use one as a base for an RV. For one thing, especially if it’s equipped with CTIS, the duals will “kiss” when deflated from say 100psi road pressure to an otherwise very helpful 20-30 psi on soft sand and mud. I just took pictures yesterday of my 395s at ~30% of road pressure, which is essential in many stuck situations. Not good for the sidewalls if dualed.
Why buy a tire like a MPT81 if you’re not going to use it for what it’s designed to do?
Looks?

Well the 10.5R20 is rated for 4600 pounds so having a DRW setup in the rear would net a total tire capacity of about 18k pounds. That tends to be in line with most single configurations that will run Goodyear MVTs that are rated for like 11k each so total of 22k. I was just thinking in the case of a blowout or flat, the narrower tire wheel would be easier to swap, and work in all 6 positions rather than just the front or rear.

Joe917

Explorer
Well the 10.5R20 is rated for 4600 pounds so having a DRW setup in the rear would net a total tire capacity of about 18k pounds. That tends to be in line with most single configurations that will run Goodyear MVTs that are rated for like 11k each so total of 22k. I was just thinking in the case of a blowout or flat, the narrower tire wheel would be easier to swap, and work in all 6 positions rather than just the front or rear.
Super singles can be interchanged front and rear.

When you have a non ubiquitous size, strongly recommend 1 mounted spare + 1 unmounted. That’s assuming that one doesn’t have unreliable wheels; like Stazworks initial version of bolttogether wheels with tiny nuts and bolts; or tires capable of 6-12000 lb on 4000 lb car type wheels on something bigger than a 3/4 ton pickup, etc.
F7F13E8C-4C46-437F-A76F-D4AD8DCBAD1D.jpeg

Last edited:

wehring

There are many reasons why all the European spare no expense Overland/expo builders like Unicat, Bliss, etc use super single on their trucks. And remember they have very strict oversight from the TÜV (Technischer Überwachungsverein). The same reasons that EarthRoamer, EarthCruiser, etc in the US goes to the trouble and expense of converting to super singles. And pretty much every company that modifies trucks as 'Fire Brush Trucks'. And why Unimogs are built from the factory with super singles. And why regular everyday home-builders will beat their heads against the wall trying to get super singles to work on their trucks (C4500s, I'm looking at you), or spending $,$$$+ to put them on their F450/550-Dodge/Chevy4500/5500s. If you search for 'super+single' here on the Portal, there is much 'enlightenment'.

We now have a solution for the 4500HD trucks too. Look at updates on “finally a one piece super single” thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior