continental mpt81 feedback?

foxhunter

Adventurer
I got an easy 60K (100K km) miles off a set of 395/85R20 XZL Michelins on my 27000 lb U500 camper.

Charlie

I have only 14k on mine and they look and ride great, but now they are 10 years old and I am thinking I should retire them and get a new set. Any thoughts?

rblackwell

Adventurer
60,000 miles - Certainly hope I get something like that out of mine. New set in Oct 2012, now have 10,000 miles on them. Hoping to get from Vladivostok to Istanbul on what remains of them.

When do you declare a XZL done??

Scott Brady

Founder
Strong tire, but they hate heat. Having changed one that disintegrated, it made all the time in the gym worthwhile.

I would recommend running TPMS and temp sensors, and respecting the K speed rating. . .

Xfactor

Observer
^^^ went to earth roamed signed up. All the info is in the owners section of the forum. I could not find anything.

I'm interested in these tires as well. Real world info would be appreciated. Any comparisons to the michelin's would be good as well.

I'm converting my dodge dually into a srw, probably going with the ricksons or Hutchinson wheels. Any info would be great!

Bobmog

Observer
MPT81

I have the MPT80s on my camping Unimog and they work great, don't know how the highway noise is, mostly off road driving. Have had them on the truck for about 10 years and the wear has been very even. My father in law has the MPT81s on his Unimog my truck appears to get better traction then his.

Attachments

• San Jauns 088.jpg
    San Jauns 088.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 76

Kaiser Soze

nice tires-

I picked up ER#104 a month ago, and I've had the opportunity to drive a few hundred miles on the Conti's. The highway noise isn't bad for a big-lug tire, and I was very surprised at how well they did in 6-8" of fresh snow. They felt as sticky as the dedicated Cooper snows on my pickup. I haven't driven an ER with the standard Michelins, but the feedback on the ER forum is that they MPT's are better both on- and off-road. Looking forward to a trip out to Utah to test them out in the dirt once the weather improves a bit!

Xfactor

Observer
Thx all. Keep the feedback coming. Has anyone used both the michelin's and continentals? What kind of life are you getting out of them?

amphibpilot

turbopilot, which 37 inch tires did you have on your old ER, the Michelin drive or steering tires in front? You find that MPT 81's track on the highway as well as the Michelin steering tires? And finally, do you prefer the air ride over the old suspension on the highway?

turbopilot

Observer
turbopilot, which 37 inch tires did you have on your old ER, the Michelin drive or steering tires in front? You find that MPT 81's track on the highway as well as the Michelin steering tires? And finally, do you prefer the air ride over the old suspension on the highway?

I had the standard EarthRoamer Michelin tires with air ride on ER64, steer in front and drive in back. I have the MPT81's with air ride on ER116. My experience with Michelin tires on the EarthRoamer was awful. They tract very badly with any grooves or ruts on paved surfaces and when aired up to specified pressures give a very rough ride.

The MPT81's on the Hutchinson wheels with air ride is a completely different experience. MPT81's run steady and true on the highway with a much softer ride. I now have 24,000 miles on the MPT81's with over 60% of the cleat tread remaining. The only downside is that the MPT81's are noisier on the highway with the big cleats. As the cleats wear down, so does the noise. At 24,000 miles they are riding significantly quieter than they did new.

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
Coastal, do you have any more pics of that Ford? Those tires look amazing! Also, are the rims Rickson?

coastal616

Adventurer
Coastal, do you have any more pics of that Ford? Those tires look amazing! Also, are the rims Rickson?

Yes I do, and the wheels are 20x10 1st attack brand, made for wild fire fighting trucks. I paid $900 for the set, but I think they retail for around $1600. No lift in the truck, just lots of trimming to make it fit and turn.

before the flares

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles