Conti MPT81 Pressure (and sneak peak at the NEW ones)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey All

Got my tires mounted and on the truck (link below to YouTube).

Curious what yall running for pressure in these? Figure this would be a good place to ask.

Also, heres something weird...

When local tire shop went to order them via the part # i gave them, told me they were discontinued, i said no way, theyve been out for ever.

Longggg story short after they spent a fair amount of time on the phone with Continental... They have replaced the older style with what they are calling the "Next Generation"

Oddly though, no one at Continental seems to know what the difference is between these and the old ones, and the tire shop spoke to 3 different people at Conti while i was there.

You can see in this pic, they look a little different, and have a little graphic patter thing, but the tread is the same.

Time will tell..

tiressmallforFORUM.jpg

lucilius

One would hope that Continental USA could find at least one person who would know what, if any, changes have been made to this tire. Load index (6779lbs) and 68mph speed rating don't appear to have changed. They may have changed the rubber composition somewhat for better winter traction on snow and ice? Maybe Conti can send you some specs and load/inflation info.
Regarding pressure, there are quite a lot of folks on here with direct experience. Knowing what wheel you are using is helpful. I have spoken with a few folks who've experienced blowouts with this tire and most seem to be due to a combination of high speed (heat) driving at an axle weight near the weight rating of the tires and possible/likely under-inflation. How are you balancing? Dynabeads are great (i've heard, but have never experienced, the theory that condensation from a lot of inflation/deflation cycles) can cause them to clump together. I've heard good things about Centramatic as well. You might consider a TST or other tire monitoring system designed for large truck tires to help keep an eye on things while driving (doesn't get much easier than TST). For highway driving, I would err on the side of overinflating and closely watching wear patterns. If you are going to be airing up and down a lot, I would definitely consider devising some sort of foolproof system to ensure you don't leave the trail at low PSI and then get on the highway and risk a blowout. FWIW, most of the tire gurus I've spoken with religiously observe and feel for tire wear and keep the tire pressures high on the road. With the 5500 chassis and some sort of camper, I imagine your front and rear axle weight is different as well though I can't imagine you would need to run significantly different tire pressures, maybe 10-20lbs?...I would defer to the load chart.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
One would hope that Continental USA could find at least one person who would know what, if any, changes have been made to this tire. Load index (6779lbs) and 68mph speed rating don't appear to have changed. They may have changed the rubber composition somewhat for better winter traction on snow and ice? Maybe Conti can send you some specs and load/inflation info.
Regarding pressure, there are quite a lot of folks on here with direct experience. Knowing what wheel you are using is helpful. I have spoken with a few folks who've experienced blowouts with this tire and most seem to be due to a combination of high speed (heat) driving at an axle weight near the weight rating of the tires and possible/likely under-inflation. How are you balancing? Dynabeads are great (i've heard, but have never experienced, the theory that condensation from a lot of inflation/deflation cycles) can cause them to clump together. I've heard good things about Centramatic as well. You might consider a TST or other tire monitoring system designed for large truck tires to help keep an eye on things while driving (doesn't get much easier than TST). For highway driving, I would err on the side of overinflating and closely watching wear patterns. If you are going to be airing up and down a lot, I would definitely consider devising some sort of foolproof system to ensure you don't leave the trail at low PSI and then get on the highway and risk a blowout. FWIW, most of the tire gurus I've spoken with religiously observe and feel for tire wear and keep the tire pressures high on the road. With the 5500 chassis and some sort of camper, I imagine your front and rear axle weight is different as well though I can't imagine you would need to run significantly different tire pressures, maybe 10-20lbs?...I would defer to the load chart.

Thanks. Yeah, the truck has a TPIS system and I got the sensors in the wheels already. But it’s having issues getting into relearn mode because it’s looking for the other 2 wheels. I haven’t given up yet and confident I can figure something out on that end.

Yeah, the shop contacted Conti direct right in front of me on speaker and talked to 3 people that had no idea what the difference is. I’ll try again next week.

They did stock on standard weights for now, just out of habit.

The Centramatics should be here tomorrow. The folks over there are awesome and super helpful and knowledgeable.

Seems 55psi is a popular pressure for where I’m at now with very little weight. Truck is in pieces right now and won’t be driving it for a week or 2, so I’ll update the post when I do.

Thank you

kmarshall

This is my custom title
For what its worth, on the EarthRoamer on the MPT81's, we run 35lbs in front and 90lbs in the rear on the Hutchinson beadlocks. Those are the numbers they currently publish on the manufacturers sticker in the door jam. And we run really heavy (18.5k lbs).

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
For what its worth, on the EarthRoamer on the MPT81's, we run 35lbs in front and 90lbs in the rear on the Hutchinson beadlocks. Those are the numbers they currently publish on the manufacturers sticker in the door jam. And we run really heavy (18.5k lbs).

Thanks

WOW, that split seems quite extreme..

You run the front at 35 on pavement?

38snubby

Thanks. Yeah, the truck has a TPIS system and I got the sensors in the wheels already. But it’s having issues getting into relearn mode because it’s looking for the other 2 wheels. I haven’t given up yet and confident I can figure something out on that end.

Yeah, the shop contacted Conti direct right in front of me on speaker and talked to 3 people that had no idea what the difference is. I’ll try again next week.

They did stock on standard weights for now, just out of habit.

The Centramatics should be here tomorrow. The folks over there are awesome and super helpful and knowledgeable.

Seems 55psi is a popular pressure for where I’m at now with very little weight. Truck is in pieces right now and won’t be driving it for a week or 2, so I’ll update the post when I do.

Thank you

Are you using this system from Conti? I noticed in the new Earthroamer video they had this system installed.

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
I run these tires at 55psi front and 75psi rear for highway and 25 front 45 rear for mixed trail use. I intend to
follow the advice of others: rotate often check for wear regularly. This is for the “smaller” 37” size.

deaunovich

Hey All

Got my tires mounted and on the truck (link below to YouTube).

Curious what yall running for pressure in these? Figure this would be a good place to ask.

Also, heres something weird...

When local tire shop went to order them via the part # i gave them, told me they were discontinued, i said no way, theyve been out for ever.

Longggg story short after they spent a fair amount of time on the phone with Continental... They have replaced the older style with what they are calling the "Next Generation"

Oddly though, no one at Continental seems to know what the difference is between these and the old ones, and the tire shop spoke to 3 different people at Conti while i was there.

You can see in this pic, they look a little different, and have a little graphic patter thing, but the tread is the same.

Time will tell..

View attachment 576090
I run my 365/80r20’s at 35psi in the front and rear when not towing. And I use the Continental data book to set my pressure when towing.

Attachments

• 67406D8D-C0B2-4A15-AFB3-4F8BA38BAD0C.jpeg
    67406D8D-C0B2-4A15-AFB3-4F8BA38BAD0C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 120

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles